ZJ hits bump then gets shimmy - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > ZJ hits bump then gets shimmy

Currie Antirock, Currectlync & Lift Kits on Sale!Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!Yukon Hardcore Locking hubs Dana 44!! CCOR 706-207-4140

Unread 03-12-2002, 12:32 AM   #1
EricsXJ
The Post man

2000 XJ Cherokee 

ZJ hits bump then gets shimmy

Commin over from the Cherokee Forum... my Dad's got a 96 ZJ and says when he's going about 50 - 55 mph, and hits a bump, he then feels a shimmy or vibration in the steering wheel. Any thoughts on what could cause this? He says it only started doing this in the past few weeks. FYI, he has no lift, tires are 3 years old and its been quite some time since he's had an alignment.

Thanks,

EricsXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-12-2002, 08:14 AM   #2
fitzer

Quote:
Originally posted by EricsXJ:
Commin over from the Cherokee Forum... my Dad's got a 96 ZJ and says when he's going about 50 - 55 mph, and hits a bump, he then feels a shimmy or vibration in the steering wheel. Any thoughts on what could cause this? He says it only started doing this in the past few weeks. FYI, he has no lift, tires are 3 years old and its been quite some time since he's had an alignment.

Thanks,
EricsXJ,

Balance and rotate tires then alignment.

If he still gets the vibration after that, post again and I can give some resources for what to check/do next.

Peace...
Unread 03-12-2002, 08:43 AM   #3
motox77x

ericsxj

have you looked at the front track bar. this is a very common failure and could cause the axel to float around a little after a freeway speed bump...???
Unread 03-12-2002, 12:50 PM   #4
g95jgc

Back in the day when my ZJ was stock, I had the same problem. Really irritating. I replaced the steering damper and never had another problem with it.
John
g95jgc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-12-2002, 05:24 PM   #5
EricsXJ
The Post man

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks for the ideas so far guys!

Mottox77x, ya I "looked" at the track bar. In fact thats the first thing I did when he told me of the problem LOL! But.. his track bar is the same as my old stock track bar. Question is, how do the fail? At the ball joint?

Hadn't thought about the steering damper. Hmm... Thanks

EricsXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-15-2002, 06:54 AM   #6
fitzer

Track bars usually fail at the joint - unless you really deform one offroad.

Lateral (horizontal) movement of the trackbar is a no-no.

If the steering stabilizer is truly shot then that could be the culprit. Is there any visible oil leakage? If not, the best way I have heard to test the stabilizer is to remove one end - the easier of the two (can't recall which at the moment)and manually acuate the stabilizer. If you feel any spots in which there is little or no resistance - a dead area - it's bad.

However, if the stabilizer is not bad and you replace it you are just masking a problem that will eventually occur again even with a newer stabilizer.

fitzer
Unread 03-15-2002, 05:17 PM   #7
GrandCherokeeLifer

John and Fitzer are right. I had the same problem and the dealer replaced my steering stablizer/dampener and it fixed the problem.
04 VW Touareg
GrandCherokeeLifer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.