Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

ZJ hit by sleeping driver

4K views 24 replies 17 participants last post by  brunosplace 
#1 ·
#2 ·
Jeep on jeep crime is a serious problem :(.
But seriously, I feel bad for both jeeps, especially the poor zj.

#8 ·
The original post says that the xj was driven home
Actually, both were driven home, the XJ when he fled the scene, (I don't know what the hell he was thinking, since he lives on the same street, less than a 1/4 mile away, and was parked next to the house. He was followed home by my neighbors who witnessed him picking up his parts and getting in and driving away.) The ZJ after the police came and I removed the ZJ's broken rear drive shaft and backed it out the way it went in, and into my drive

#9 ·
I am very grateful she was safely asleep in her bed when this happened. I have already been in contact with his insurance company and the appraiser is coming out tomorrow to write it up.

#12 ·
Yes, yes, yes... totaled ZJ this, and rolled XJ that - that's all well and good...

But what about the neighbors lawn ornaments?!?

Just imagine what it must have been like to be that poor bee, stuck to that pole watching 5000 pounds of uncontrolled steel hurtling at him and only missing by mere centimeters. How he's still smiling we may never know.

And that child on a pedestal... it's no wonder why he looks like he's sh!tting his pants.

Wow! It must've been a scary night to be your neighbor's lawn ornaments. Thank God they're ok! :)

Of course, then again, we can't tell from the pictures if there are any more under under the Jeep or impaled on the front. For all we know there may have been one of those half fat ladies bent over showing bloomers or a couple of pink flamingos in the way. Or ducks with whirlygig wings that used to flutter in the breeze - only to flutter no more.

Or maybe even a gnome.

From the pictures we can see, we may never understand the true scope of the lawn ornament tragedy that unfolded that terrible night.

Seriously though, sucks about the Jeeps, especially yours. :( Glad nobody was hurt. :) Hope there's some good insurance involved.

#18 ·
I don't care who you are, that's funny right there!! Thanks for starting my morning with a chuckle!!

Throw the book at that jackhole! I doubt he was asleep at the wheel, more like DWI/DUI.

Sorry for your ZJ loss :(
Oh my god I couldn't see the pics during my original post - but damn! How fast was he going down your street?
And he really fled to his house down the street after the damage from the collision AND a roll? When the police went to his house, was it still out front?
DUI for sure! no "sleepy" driver would just drive home after that!
That was my thought exactly . Not to mention , it seems like alot of damage for a 25 mph crash . Pretty sure he wasn't obeying the sign he knocked over either :rofl:
He passed the field sobriety tests, so he wasn't cited for DUI. As I had said, I don't know what the hell he was thinking since he wasn't drunk. Some people have no sense at all. One of the officers estimated speed at time of impact being about 60, in a 25 zone.

#13 ·
Oh my god I couldn't see the pics during my original post - but damn! How fast was he going down your street?
And he really fled to his house down the street after the damage from the collision AND a roll? When the police went to his house, was it still out front?

#17 ·
That was my thought exactly . Not to mention , it seems like alot of damage for a 25 mph crash . Pretty sure he wasn't obeying the sign he knocked over either :rofl:

#19 ·
Damn...60 in a 25...In a residental area none the less. Something tells me the police are not going to go very easy on him for that. Sober or not.

I can think of at least three charges they could hit him with:
Careless driving
Reckless Endangerment (for driving impared, whether intoxicated or just sleepy)
Fleeing the sceen

As well as:
destruction of property (yours and the neighbors)

Good luck to you, your daughter and your neighbor in getting things put back together and sorted out.

Edit: too bad you live in Michigan, otherwise I would offer to buy your rims. My snowflake rims look like poo.

#21 ·
97ZJ4X4 said:
As terrible as this is, you gotta admit... its a testament to jeeps!! they both drove away?! That's why i love American made cars. There F'ing indestructible!
Eh.. Saying they both drove away may be a little much, as is "indestructible". I mean, the ZJ actually lost a coil simply from the impact.. And did you see the xj? I think instead of "they both drove away" I'd say "they both relied on the other axle to drag themselves a few hundred feet". Not saying they aren't tough, but it was a 60-0 wreck, and that'll obliterate almost anything.

#22 ·
It'll buff out...

#23 ·
Looks like a settlement with the drivers insurance company will be happening on Monday. I'll probably start parting the ZJ out after that is all settled.

#25 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.