Zj heater help please - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Zj heater help please

XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Vanco Big Brake Kit Promotion!

Unread 10-22-2014, 09:57 PM   #1
ZJDanncc
1994 ZJ 

Zj heater help please

I am new to this site. But I really need some advice on my heater. for a while now it has been giving me problems. First off if you let the Jeep warm up then turn the heater on the temp gauge falls half way back down. Heater is still warm though. When you switch from vent to defrost it is all cold air on defrost. switch back to vent or floor and its warm air. Once you start driving the vents then turn to cold air as well, especially on really cold mornings and nights. I have flushed and back flushed heater core numerous times only to get clear water each time. blend doors work great cause I can switch from cold to heat. Also if I leave my fan speed knob on low I get hot air from vents. The very confusing part is this however, if I reach 55 mph or anything above 2,000 rpm the vents will lose all air coming from them. once I get back under 55 mph or 2,000 rpm I get air flow again. Has anyone had problems like this before? Jeep is a 94 zj with 4.0

ZJDanncc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-23-2014, 12:42 AM   #2
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

It sounds like you have a vacuum leak with your front vents cutting off when reaching higher speeds or maybe when climbing a hill. Most often it will default to defrost with lack of vacuum to the HVAC switch which does the routing. This is for a manual heating/AC system and not for ATC (automatic temp control).

Not sure if the vacuum line routing is exactly the same but usually it's the line going through the firewall next to one of the AC evaporator tubes from the "T" to the HVAC switch or the tube under the battery tray has rotted/come off. The bottom of the battery box is the vacuum reservoir for storing vacuum when the engine isn't drawing much like at your higher speeds/under a load.

This vacuum line on my 96 4.0 is as follows. It connects to the far driver's side of the top of the intake manifold then turns towards the passenger side while traveling along the top of the firewall. Then it T's off as already mentioned, then makes a 90 degree turn along the fender towards the front, T's off to the vehicle speed module (cruise control) then travels along the fender until it attaches with a hose under the battery box. Check the whole line for loose connections, cracks, or broken plastic line.

Here's a photo where it T's through the firewall to the switch and welcome to the forum! We'll see what this does then work on the heat if it doesn't solve it. Good luck!

PS. strange your temp gauge would drop half way down once you turn the heat on. Sure you don't still have air trapped in the cooling system and can you hear any gurgling in the heater core? If you grab both your heater hoses outside the firewall going into the core are they both warm/hot the same? What's your normal operating temps?
zj-vacuum-line-t-firewall-001.jpg

-Stalling ZJ? 12 things to check before replacing a sensor; the Dirty Dozen
-Crankshaft position sensor multimeter test. & video of testing.
Uniblurb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-25-2014, 03:17 PM   #3
Taz360ZJ

check the connection at the T where it hits the manifold for debris internally. friend's XJ had that issue. also check the vacuum line to the cruise control servo, and going to the vacuum res under the battery.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.