ZJ Heated Memory Seat install into Laredo (writeup) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > ZJ Heated Memory Seat install into Laredo (writeup)

Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippRoad Race Motorsports Stage 2 Power Pack

Unread 01-22-2010, 06:24 AM   #1
4Slow9erHybrid
1997 ZJ 

ZJ Heated Memory Seat install into Laredo (writeup)

It seems this information has not been clearly posted before. So here are the diagrams showing how to wire up properly the ZJ heated memory power seats when putting them into a Laredo. The connectors and wiring for the seats (C329 for driver's, C335 for passenger's) are not installed in the Laredo models with non-power seats. So you have to run your own.

Driver's seat:

Connector pin-out

1 - Red 14 gauge wire goes to +12V supply through Circuit Breaker 3 (CB3) (Pin 12 of connector C13 in Junction Block (JB), see JB diagram image #5)

2 - Black 14 gauge wire goes to ground. Just use a sheet metal crew to attach it to the floor pan reinforcement.

3 - Violet/brown tracer 20 gauge wire CCD bus + (connect only if memory function is desired, see important note at the end!!!)

4 - White/black tracer 20 gauge wire CCD bus - (connect only if memory function is desired, see important note at the end!!!)

5 - Light blue/black tracer 18 gauge wire Heated seat driver, goes to switch pod connector Pin 1 (see image #6)

6 - Pink/dark green tracer 18 gauge wire Ignition (Run) +12V, goes to JB connector C9 Pin 9 (see image #5)

Connection diagram

Passenger's seat

Connector pin-out

1 - Red 14 gauge wire goes to +12V supply through Circuit Breaker 3 (CB3) (Pin 10 of connector C14 in Junction Block (JB), see JB diagram image #5)

2 - Black 14 gauge wire goes to ground. Just use existing sheet metal crew to attach it to the floor pan reinforcement.

3 - Light blue/white tracer 18 gauge wire Heated seat driver, goes to switch pod connector Pin 4 (see image #6)

4 - Pink/dark green tracer 18 gauge wire Ignition (Run) +12V, goes to JB connector C9 Pin 9 (see image #5)

Connection diagram

The factory wiring get's its power from Circuit Breaker 3 in the Junction Block:

The heated seats are turned on by the switches in the switch pod:

Optionally you may also connect the memory function through the CCD bus, here's the diagram:

However, there's a CATCH!!! If you connect the CCD bus (Pin 3 and 4 in the driver's seat connector), that will also activate the memory function for the mirrors. However, the Laredo mirrors don't have the position sensing resistors. So what will happen is every time you open the doors with your remote, the memory system will try to adjust the mirrors into the preset position. Since there's no feedback, the mirrors will be adjusted to one of the extreme positions. So either:
1) Don't connect the CCD bus pins
2) Get the memory mirrors from a Limited ZJ (they're plug-and-play, no need for any additional wiring)

The parts you need:

1. Heated memory seats

2. Get the female connectors for the Junction Block connectors C13 and C14 and for the switch pod (pin 1 and 4). These are not installed in the connectors in your Laredo. Get the 20A Circuit Breaker.

3. Get the switch pod assembly with the heated seat switches

If you also want the memory system to work:

4. Get the driver's door panel with the memory switch

5. If you are swapping all the door panel, keep YOUR ORIGINAL passenger door module (the one that controls your window and door lock function). It stores the codes of your two remotes!!! You won't be able to use your remotes with the donor module unless you pay the dealership for reprogramming!!!

6. Swap in memory mirrors from a Limited.

That's all. Good luck!

1997 JGC Laredo 4.0 4x4 99900mi * 0W30 German Castrol since 75k * 225/75/R15 Firestone Destination AT on Ravine rims * winter 235/75/R15 Bridgestone Blizzak DM-V1 * UC suspension * Monroe Reflex Monotube shocks * factory skids * KOR steering brace * rear Addco SB * Magnaflow cat and cat back system * complete 5.9 interior

Last edited by 4Slow9erHybrid; 01-22-2010 at 01:38 PM..
4Slow9erHybrid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-22-2010, 01:38 PM   #2
4Slow9erHybrid
1997 ZJ 

Write-up finished.
1997 JGC Laredo 4.0 4x4 99900mi * 0W30 German Castrol since 75k * 225/75/R15 Firestone Destination AT on Ravine rims * winter 235/75/R15 Bridgestone Blizzak DM-V1 * UC suspension * Monroe Reflex Monotube shocks * factory skids * KOR steering brace * rear Addco SB * Magnaflow cat and cat back system * complete 5.9 interior
4Slow9erHybrid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-14-2011, 06:59 AM   #3
Shanker67
1999 XJ Cherokee 

BUMP, so all i am trying to accomplish right now is getting my power ZJ seats to work in my XJ, so just run the red to the fusebox and ground the black and i should be good right?
Shanker67 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-10-2011, 09:37 PM   #4
Svenlylethor
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks for posting the diagrams. Things now make sense for me.

I'm putting heated power seats from a 97 ZJ to a 96 XJ. I have the switch pod as well. Here are my main questions:

1-when putting the red wire (power) to the fuse box, which fuse should I use?
2-I'm confused by the ignition switch (and don't know where it is on my XJ)
A-Where should I wire it and which fuse?
B-Is this just so I can use the power seats while the car is running? can I just have the wire just go to the fuse box instead? (again which fuse should I use)
3-Since the switch pod won't fit on my dash, I'm thinking about putting it in the center console. I plan to connect the wires for both the driver and passenger. However, there's no fuse. I'm thinking I'll use wire 2 from diagram 6 to ground the pod and then use wire 5 from diagram 6 to the ignition.

This all seems confusing as hell so what I think I'm going to do is ground both seats and the pod, run a single wire from the battery to the center console area, split it in 2, have one wire go to the power seats (red) and put a fuse in between, and on the other wire put the ignition wires from both seats and the pod together with a fuse in between.

Does any of this make sense? Let me know your thoughts.
Unread 11-28-2011, 07:52 AM   #5
Kennyz55
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Where is the switch pod in figure 6? Is there any where else to splice in the Light blue/black tracer 18 gauge wire Heated seat driver and the passenger Light blue/white tracer 18 gauge wire Heated seat driver? The othe connectors 6 - Pink/dark green tracer 18 gauge wire Ignition (Run) +12V and 4 - Pink/dark green tracer 18 gauge wire Ignition (Run) +12V just need power?
Thanks,
Kenny

It's starting to get cold in NJ
Kennyz55 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-28-2011, 02:34 PM   #6
friction_jack
1998 ZJ 

So that's why my remotes stopped working!
friction_jack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-28-2011, 02:59 PM   #7
CEOTyler
1997 ZJ 

Will this allow me to put in the panel for heated seats and rear wiper that usually goes to the right of steering wheel if I don't have one?
CEOTyler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-28-2011, 11:01 PM   #8
Svenlylethor
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kennyz55
Where is the switch pod in figure 6? Is there any where else to splice in the Light blue/black tracer 18 gauge wire Heated seat driver and the passenger Light blue/white tracer 18 gauge wire Heated seat driver? The othe connectors 6 - Pink/dark green tracer 18 gauge wire Ignition (Run) +12V and 4 - Pink/dark green tracer 18 gauge wire Ignition (Run) +12V just need power?
Thanks,
Kenny

It's starting to get cold in NJ
The switch pod is in the dash on the right of your zj. You need that for the install otherwise it won't work. The blue-white and blue-black wires connect directly from each seat to the pod. You will need to splice the pink-green wires from both seats to the ignition and put a fuse in between. On my XJ the ignition wire was orange. It may be the same with a zj. I just pulled off the steering wheel cover and inserted the wire with a flat connector wedged into the orange wire slot in the harness.
Unread 11-30-2011, 04:25 AM   #9
Kennyz55
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Installing in an XJ

The switch pod is in the dash on the right of your zj. You need that for the install otherwise it won't work. The blue-white and blue-black wires connect directly from each seat to the pod. You will need to splice the pink-green wires from both seats to the ignition and put a fuse in between. On my XJ the ignition wire was orange. It may be the same with a zj. I just pulled off the steering wheel cover and inserted the wire with a flat connector wedged into the orange wire slot in the harness.

Thanks for the reply. Where do I hook Light blue/black tracer 18 gauge wire Heated seat driver and the Light blue/white tracer 18 gauge wire Heated seat driver in an XJ?
Thanks Again,
Kenny
Unread 12-01-2011, 08:46 PM   #10
Kennyz55
2001 XJ Cherokee 

I am installing ZJ seats in my 2001 WJ. What color wires go from the Light blue/black tracer 18 gauge wire Heated seat driver and the Light blue/white tracer 18 gauge wire Heated seat passenger wires? Where do I connect these in a WJ?
Thanks again,
Freezing in Nj now,
Kenny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kennyz55 View Post

Thanks for the reply. Where do I hook Light blue/black tracer 18 gauge wire Heated seat driver and the Light blue/white tracer 18 gauge wire Heated seat driver in an XJ?
Thanks Again,
Kenny
Unread 12-15-2011, 07:41 PM   #11
Kennyz55
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Anybody know how to hook up the heated seats from a ZJ in a WJ.

Anybody know how to hook up the heated seats from a ZJ in a WJ.
Thanks,
Kenny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kennyz55 View Post
I am installing ZJ seats in my 2001 WJ. What color wires go from the Light blue/black tracer 18 gauge wire Heated seat driver and the Light blue/white tracer 18 gauge wire Heated seat passenger wires? Where do I connect these in a WJ?
Thanks again,
Freezing in NJ now,
Kenny
Unread 01-12-2012, 02:41 PM   #12
RLaprise
1998 ZJ 

Update/Clarification

As I am going through the swap at the moment I thought these points might help others:

1 - You can connect the drivers seat to the CCD bus without your mirrors acting up. Connecting those wires DOES NOT activate the memory system.

CONNECTING THE MEMORY SWITCH IN THE DRIVERS DOOR PANEL TO THE DRIVERS DOOR MODULE ACTIVATES THE MEMORY SYSTEM.

This is important, if you are doing this over a span of time you can fully wire the seats and not worry about your mirrors going wonky if they don't have the position sensors. Doesn't matter UNTIL you connect that memory switch in the door panel. Many people disable the memory system by simply unplugging the memory switch.

2 - You don't need the drivers door panel, you just need the memory switch and the front trim ring for the switch. If you are handy with a dremel and razor knife (or other implements of destruction as you choose) you can create an opening in your existing panel and mount the switch. Just leave the opening in the vinyl (or whatever it is) around the hole slightly smaller, pull some of the foam under it out, then press the trim ring in. I just did this on mine and the trim ring pushes the vinyl down so you get a smooth blend of the vinyl to the trim ring and can easily achieve a "factory installed" look without having to swap all the door panels to keep them matching.

After I installed the memory switch (and prior to swapping memory mirror motors into my mirror housings) WITHOUT having started any of the wiring for the seats my mirrors got a little flaky. The memory functionality is activated when that switch is plugged in and it will try and move your mirrors.

You can get around this temporarily (if you are the only driver) by setting your mirrors where you want them, then setting both memory 1 and 2 to that position.

Adding the mirror motors I pulled the motors off my housing (without taking the housings off the jeep), popped the terminals for the 3 wires out of the connector, pulled the wires out of the plastic sheath, cut the sheath so only 2-3 inches was coming into the vehicle from the mirror mount, then fished all the wires from the memory mirror motor through with a guitar string. A little friction tape around the wires to keep them bundled and "safe" replaced that long plastic sheath.

Reconnect the terminals to the plastic connector (use FSM or the donor mirrors for the pin positions) then put things back together.

It appears to be a good idea to run the mirrors through their full range of motion so the BCM knows what the max/min values for the position sensors are.

End result, even before any of the seat wiring has begun I have working memory mirrors now.

You may also want to research heated seat repair prior to installing the seats you pulled for the swap to determine if you need to fix any wiring issues with the heating elements prior to installing them. That is the next step for me, then I'll deal with wiring things up in the jeep so I can plug them in and bolts them down.

Have fun.

This has been a Jeeper's service announcement, we now return to our scheduled lurking...
RLaprise is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-12-2012, 03:18 PM   #13
Kennyz55
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks for the memory update. Anyone know how to install ZJ heated seats into a WJ. Which wires in the WJ do you connect to the ZJ Heat elements?
Thanks,
Kenny
26 degrees is the high for Sunday.
Unread 01-12-2012, 09:46 PM   #14
RLaprise
1998 ZJ 

ZJ seats into WJ?

Hey Kenny, take a look at this:

http://www.wjjeeps.com/seats/seats.htm

It appears that adding WJ heated seats to a WJ that shipped without them (a Laredo for example) is a bit involved (much like adding the heated ZJ seats to a ZJ Laredo)

The biggest issue I can see is they talk about a PCI bus that the seats need to be hooked into. Then it mentions 4 wires that need to go from the drivers seat to the passenger seat.

So without a WJ FSM to look at (and not owning a WJ to look at) it appears Jeep made (again) dramatic changes to how things wire up so it's not an easy swap. ZJ seats to a WJ doesn't appear to be as easy as WJ seats to WJ or ZJ seats to ZJ.

If you don't care about the memory functionality (no idea at all how the WJ's do it) but just want the power and heat I think the ZJ controls for the seat are just a potentiometer with 3 positions (off/lo/high). I ran across something to that effect a few days back but didn't think to bookmark it.

If this is true, then (again depending on if off is an open or short to ground condition) determining the correct values could enable the modification of a 3rd party switch of some sort to control the heater on the ZJ seats in a non ZJ.

It's cold here too so I'm procrastinating on running the wires in my ZJ. When I get to that point I'll check the wires from the heater switches before I splice them into the body side of the seat plugs. If there is no voltage carried on them but just a changing resistance it would make things easier for you.

I don't know if you've seen the pinouts in the link I listed or not, but not having a WJ myself that's the best I have for what you are trying to do.
RLaprise is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-05-2013, 08:35 PM   #15
93zjgrand
1993 ZJ 

well i do have the larado model and it dows not have power seats, but i do have a wire under both seats coming out wear the rear florr vents are. do you think that would be plug and play
93zjgrand is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.