ZJ has died.... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > ZJ has died....

Labor day sale @ rockridge 4wd! 8/29-9/1 site wide..promo Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comShocktober is here! Get new shocks for your Jeep!!!!

Unread 06-09-2013, 09:48 AM   #1
Mike-W
1996 ZJ 

ZJ has died....

- Sorry, I have read a number of threads but just need some pointers on where to start...
- I have a 96 turned over this morning then died, now won't turnover, have charged battery all electrics are working but it just won't turn over..

- Where should I start?

Mike-W is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-09-2013, 09:54 AM   #2
JasonStebbins
1997 ZJ 

It's not cranking over at all? Or did it start and then die?

That's usually a dead battery/alternator/starter.

Does it make a clicking sound or one click or anything when you try to start it?

Use a long screwdriver and jump the starter with the terminals and see if that works.
JasonStebbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-09-2013, 09:56 AM   #3
Mike-W
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonStebbins
It's not cranking over at all? Or did it start and then die?

That's usually a dead battery/alternator/starter.

Does it make a clicking sound or one click or anything when you try to start it?

Use a long screwdriver and jump the starter with the terminals and see if that works.
If I leave the hood up I can hear a faint double click
Unread 06-09-2013, 10:01 AM   #4
JasonStebbins
1997 ZJ 

If all your electronics are working I would try jumping the starter. Turn the key to the ON position and use a screwdriver to make a bridge for the terminals.

It could also be the alternator not charging the battery, but you won't know until you get the charging system tested at a parts store or with a voltmeter.
Unread 06-09-2013, 02:25 PM   #5
Mike-W
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonStebbins
If all your electronics are working I would try jumping the starter. Turn the key to the ON position and use a screwdriver to make a bridge for the terminals.

It could also be the alternator not charging the battery, but you won't know until you get the charging system tested at a parts store or with a voltmeter.
Had a look underneath haven't jumped it yet but looks lie the oil filters leaking on it...
Unread 06-09-2013, 03:51 PM   #6
JasonStebbins
1997 ZJ 

That's the oil filter adapter leaking on it. There are three O-rings behind the adapter that go bad over time.

Have someone jump you and see if it starts, that will narrow it down to a battery/alternator issue.
Unread 07-14-2013, 12:34 AM   #7
Mike-W
1996 ZJ 

Replaced the starter motor and issues has been resolved, also appears my battery drain has vanished as well so bonus

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.