Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Zj grinding only on downshift

426 views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  deadkamakazi 
#1 ·
94 zj 5.2 v8 46rh tranny 3" lift. 31x10.5x15 Mickey Thompson's.

So on thanksgiving I went trail riding since we just moved to Florida from north Dakota. Saw some water for out checked it out decided to go for it.... Big hole in the middle. Stuck. So we get yanked out after sitting there for an hour ( water about 6 inches in vehicle interior at this point.) Drove home about 15 miles fine. Next morning I checked everything over and noticed the tranny took allot of water. Flushed her and filter change and now it's grinding only on downshifts in every gear.

For some reason I didn't check the bands while I was in there and now after 4 flushed I can't afford 7 more quarts of atf for another week. I adjusted the band that's on the outside of tranny yesterday and drove around the block. No griding until the last turn of drive.

I know the syncros don't like water and everything in reading says I need a rebuild. But why would it have drove fine 3/4 of the block then start again? Should I go ahead and adjust both bands check tv cable and go from there or wait and just do a rebuild?

Tldr: flooded my zj and now the tranny is grinding only on downshifts.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Welcome to the forum!

Were all passengers wearing life jackets and had the vehicle been modified to add a periscope?

This topic shows my 46RH rebuild.

IMO there are too many nooks and crannies to exchange contaminated fluid to fresh fluid on a submerged transmission w/o disassembly, cleaning, tossing old torque converter, cleaning the lines, cleaning the coolers and disassembling / cleaning the valve body.

Note that the torque converter holds over a quart of contaminated fluid that cannot be removed.

#3 ·
No life vest but I did have my 6 month old son in the truck. I just went out and drove it around the block after adjusting the tv cable and it did great around the neighborhood so I was going to run to the gas station 2 blocks down. Made it halfway heard the grinding turned around and made it to the entrance of my driveway before the tranny decided it wanted to die and just grinded itself out before I could get into driveway. Looks like a rebuild this weekend.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.