ZJ Fuel Check Valve Faulty? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > ZJ Fuel Check Valve Faulty?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line50" LED CREE Light Bar Pair With Wiring KitTeraflex JK LCG PRE-RUNNER KIT! ULTIMATE OFF ROAD PERFORMA

Unread 01-01-2015, 10:08 AM   #1
moggie99
1996 ZJ 

ZJ Fuel Check Valve Faulty?

I have a 1996 ZJ 4L which doesn't like starting in the morning if parked with the nose up my sloping driveway (it takes a bit of churning and may stall initially or idle slow and rough for a few seconds). However, it is fine when parked nose down. Although a 1996 build, I think it may be a 1997 model year vehicle as it does not have the fuel pressure regulator on the fuel rail. However, the build sheet shows a build date of Jan 1996

Now, having checked the workshop manual and parts manual it seems that the fuel pressure regulator and check valve are part of the fuel filter module on the pump in the tank. My guess is that one or both of these are faulty (I need to check the fuel pressure when/if I can get my hands on a suitable gauge). Given that changing it requires dropping the tank, I was wondering of anyone had experience with fitting an external check valve in the output line from the pump or is it better to just bite the bullet and do the job properly?

Thanks in advance

moggie99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-01-2015, 11:49 AM   #2
Scrubberguy
1997 ZJ 

I can understand wanting to add a check valve at a different point in the fuel line, however that won't change the problem if your filter / regulator is starting to go bad.

So in this case I'd find the correct tool to check fuel pressure and I'd check it "cold" during a hot re start and I'd let it idle for an hour checking the gauge for fluctuations as it runs.

You did not mention the amount of miles on your 96 but Chrysler's last the life time of the vehicle line is bunk, most makers figure "life time" at about 140K!

You could be experiencing Lazy Capacitor syndrome in your PCM/ECU but usually that shows up as a hard start all the time not at a specifc time of "angle" of the vehicle.

Get a gauge if you can and start with pump pressure, should be about 45 to 49 PSI while running less is not good.

I will also suggest you back track the fuel lines 96 were supposed to have an external fuel filter 97 they went to the top of the pump, you may be "lucky" and be blessed with both, LOL!
Scrubberguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-01-2015, 01:22 PM   #3
moggie99
1996 ZJ 

There is also an external filter which has done 15,000 miles or so. The vehicle has 265,000km (166,000 miles) - but I have no idea what was done to it over the first 80% of that!
Unread 01-01-2015, 07:54 PM   #4
jeep-pr
1995 ZJ 

i was thinking of doing an external check valve till i read an article, its just a band aid to the bigger problem, the pump still looses fuel and has to turn dry then gets fuel. the better and permanent solution is just getting a new pump assembly. if you try the external check valve it could at some point fail ( split a line ) and cause a worse situation.

i just bite the bullet and forked over for a delphi pump assembly at rock auto, since they where the cheapest, closer to original and faster shipping.
Unread 01-02-2015, 12:03 AM   #5
moggie99
1996 ZJ 

Having just seen the Delphi complete module on Rockauto for $96 I may just do that. I'll have to check out local prices here in Abu Dhabi though, as shipping costs can be high.
Unread 01-02-2015, 11:06 AM   #6
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

Personally I'd go with the Bosch 67646 fuel pump module for your 96 since it's OE and Mopar just repackages them selling them for 2-3 times the price. Runs cool and quiet. Real good deal at $120 from a reputable ebay vendor others here have used although shipping would be $50 to Abu Dhabi. Good luck.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-BOSCH-67...p=mtr#shpCntId

-Stalling ZJ? 12 things to check before replacing a sensor; the Dirty Dozen
-Crankshaft position sensor multimeter test. & video of testing.
Uniblurb is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-02-2015, 03:00 PM   #7
moggie99
1996 ZJ 

That's all very well, but if mine has the 1997 style one with the integral filter/regulator then that one isn't compatible. Thank, anyway.
Unread 01-02-2015, 05:13 PM   #8
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

Ahh..I see now. Actually they started installing the fuel pressure regulator in the fuel pump module in 95. Kinda surprised a 97-98 fuel pump module with the external filter/regulator on top of the module works on your 96 since the 96 module was specific to that year only. There was also a TSB issued on the 96 pump for overheating problems so maybe somebody just used what was most available over there? Good luck.

-Stalling ZJ? 12 things to check before replacing a sensor; the Dirty Dozen
-Crankshaft position sensor multimeter test. & video of testing.
Uniblurb is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.