ZJ Front to rear lift How much lift should i expect? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > ZJ Front to rear lift How much lift should i expect?

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsDisc Brake Kits from ECGS

Unread 07-15-2010, 01:35 PM   #16
StellaTheZJ
1996 ZJ 

Front track bar needs nothing for 3", but the back did need to be lengthened. I heated and pressed the stock one a little longer to center the rear axle when it's sitting empty.

To deal with this, there are actually at least three ways. First, straighten what you've got a wee bit, like I did. Or, you can go for an adjustable track bar instead, which is nice because it may accommodate larger lifts in the future. Or go for the relocation bracket, which people say can rip off, but may reduce the chances of your tires rubbing on the springs during compression, when the axle moves over. The relocation bracket maintains stock geometry for the rear track bar, so the axle has less lateral movement with a relocation bracket than with a lengthened or adjustable track bar.

StellaTheZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2010, 02:21 PM   #17
melk
1996 ZJ 

OK, so I've got a stock 4.0

I would move the front coils to the back... and what do I put in the front?
melk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2010, 03:17 PM   #18
StellaTheZJ
1996 ZJ 

You put 3" spacers in the front, with your stock coils. SO, 4 stock front coils, 2 spacers, and you're lifted. Then, you'll be looking for shocks (although stock are fine if you're not wheeling), longer rear track bar solution, and probably rear LCAs to deal with any driveline vibes you don't like.
Unread 07-15-2010, 04:51 PM   #19
melk
1996 ZJ 

Well I need to replace my shocks anyway so it would be a good time to do it.

I haven't seen 3" spacers though, I thought 2" maybe 2.5" is the max safest size?
melk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2010, 10:00 PM   #20
StellaTheZJ
1996 ZJ 

3" is definitely safe for the front, and Fat Bob's is at least one place you can buy them.

With liability the way it is, you know this is safe if people are actually selling it!
Unread 07-16-2010, 06:17 AM   #21
xjfever
Web Wheeler

1995 XJ Cherokee 

Jeep ZJ Grand Cherokee Suspension Lift If you are going to buy spacers, used coils for the front, a trac-bar bracket, shocks, and lower control arms, this will likely be cheaper than sourcing the parts individually.
  1. '95 XJ country edition, 4" coils/3/4" spacers, HD leafs with extra main added in, Ironman adjustable control arms, rough country shackles, aussie locker, JK rubicon shocks, 35" mudder's, soft 8's, cobra cb
  2. Sold'99 WJ limited, 4.7L, 3" IRO lift. Bilstein shocks, JK rubicon wheels, 255/70/17's, carolina driveshaft, IRO adjustable control arms, IRO adjustable A-arm
  3. Sold '00 TJ, 4" lift, rusty's adjustable control arms, skyjacker shocks, rock krawler adj. trac-bar,rugged ridge SYE and RE driveshaft, soft 8's, 35" mud king xt's,XJ HP D30 w/aussie locker, 4:88 yukon gears, hella 500's, rock crusher diff covers
4. 04 Dodge ram 1500 quadcab, yes, it has a hemi.
5. '08 BMW X3, Mods in progress.
xjfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2010, 12:58 AM   #22
StellaTheZJ
1996 ZJ 

Spacers are $50 (plus shipping)

Adjustable Control Arms are $150 shipped

The trackbar can be straightened for free, and I didn't actually need swaybar endlinks for the first 12 years I had this lift in (then I made discos), but it's easier to bolt on the bracket than to straighten.

The shocks from that kit are $30 each plus shipping, so, say $150

Coils cost whatever your local yard charges ($20 a pair plus taxes near me).

In other words, you certainly don't save much, if anything, by piecing it together!! Good find XJfever.
Unread 07-17-2010, 08:02 PM   #23
x91j
1997 XJ Cherokee 

ive been reading for weeks. everyone says that the front and rear track bar arnt necessary but a good thing to get once u get the money.
x91j is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2010, 08:31 PM   #24
ISUzj
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by x91j View Post
ive been reading for weeks. everyone says that the front and rear track bar arnt necessary but a good thing to get once u get the money.
yes and on the rear the sooner the better for either a bracket or a trackbar, because after time, your springs will contact your swaybar extensions and make quite the amount of noise and you will be posting things on JF like " ahhh the noise is driving me nuts!!" or my tire sounds like its going to fall off!!!

I went a year and a half on a stock TB with a 3" lift... i would not advise it.

I am in the process of going through my entire suspension before winter to get it it tip-top shape (for a 15 yr old vehicle)
~~[_---_____---_\-\\\\\\-\
~~~(o) )-o---(o) )-o---) )
94ZJ 5.2 Red; Rusty's 3" Coils,Skyjacker hydro's, Brush Guard, Custom Rear Bumper, Custom Roof Rack, KVG Quick Discos, 31-10.50-15's DAYTON TIMBERLINE A/T OBA 2 Gallon tank
Can't buy it? BUILD IT!! Do it cheap too cuz your in college

My Build Thread Align your jeep yourself B N B#175
ISUzj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2013, 07:41 AM   #25
jwe

Im about to start on my front to rear lift on my 94.I have the 4.0 and bought some rubicon express 3.5 for the front.I just need to get the dang rear tires off which wont move
jwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2013, 08:40 AM   #26
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

For front to rear swap just subtract the amount you would pay for two springs you would have bought for the back and that's your price. That is the only savings.
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2013, 02:19 PM   #27
offroadjeep4x4
1997 ZJ 

Sorry to jumo in but how would one spot an Upcountry equipped ZJ at the yard? Do they have badging on them stating such?
offroadjeep4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2013, 02:24 PM   #28
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Different color shocks. Full skid plates and hooks. 1" taller.
Unread 02-20-2013, 02:58 PM   #29
JohnnyZJ
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

I6 ZJ coils rear. give ou 3" been there.

if you have an I6 ZJ you could get up country springs (V8) and run them up front with a 2.5" spacer to get 3" give or take. done this. it rode nice.

you will need new shocks.

rear track bar was ok. i'd definitely do a front adjustable track bar now though. now; you can just reuse your stock one, and redrill the hold over a little but, but eventually, you are going to kill the joint on this track bar as the jeeps old etc. blah blah blah. so might as well do it now.

also, same with control arms. if hte bushings aren't shot they will be eventually. as Polka said, theres more to it than just springs.

THAT SAID............... for just the basic 3" I6 coils,ZJ, eithe rfront 3" springs or the stupid 3" spacer, a front track bar and shocks. fairly cheap still. in fact, i think IRO sells a front to rear kit like that

quite frankly, if you're just running a 31" tire and cost is important i'd just get a 2" budget boost and call it good.

05' WK Hemi limited ~ family hauler

RIP 95 ZJ ~ 33s built/longarmed/locked/awesome Feb 2014 ZJOTM winner
JohnnyZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2013, 03:19 PM   #30
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyZJ View Post
I6 ZJ coils rear. give ou 3" been there.

if you have an I6 ZJ you could get up country springs (V8) and run them up front with a 2.5" spacer to get 3" give or take. done this. it rode nice.

you will need new shocks.

rear track bar was ok. i'd definitely do a front adjustable track bar now though. now; you can just reuse your stock one, and redrill the hold over a little but, but eventually, you are going to kill the joint on this track bar as the jeeps old etc. blah blah blah. so might as well do it now.

also, same with control arms. if hte bushings aren't shot they will be eventually. as Polka said, theres more to it than just springs.

THAT SAID............... for just the basic 3" I6 coils,ZJ, eithe rfront 3" springs or the stupid 3" spacer, a front track bar and shocks. fairly cheap still. in fact, i think IRO sells a front to rear kit like that

quite frankly, if you're just running a 31" tire and cost is important i'd just get a 2" budget boost and call it good.
picture-14.jpg  

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.