ZJ front CV driveshaft helppp - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > ZJ front CV driveshaft helppp

Baseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft KiClayton Off Road WJ Long Arm Kits!Clayton Off Road - JK Prototype Gas Tank Skid

Unread 05-17-2007, 06:08 PM   #1
apex96zj

ZJ front CV driveshaft helppp

Alrigth guys my front CV shaft on my 96 ZJ is making loud clunking sounds and rattling noises when driving. I have about 5 inches of lift and i dont no what to do. Is it just the CV joint bearings wore out? or is it to short. whats the best way for me to cure this problem. tom woods said they dont make the front cv shafts just the rear shatfs for ZJs. someone cure this for me and tell me what to buy..price doesnt matterrrrr!! thanks

apex96zj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2007, 06:39 PM   #2
Zoso
2005 WK 

Replacing the entire half shaft isn't that tough. I did it on my front driver's side because the boot ripped and the CV joint was exposed. The joint would click badly when turning. Eventually it got to a point where it would click when driving straight.

Replacement is pretty easy (besides some really rusted on bolts) and the parts are available at any local parts store. I think it was under $100.
Unread 05-17-2007, 06:41 PM   #3
BigDaveZJ
1995 ZJ 

Is it your driveshaft or your axle shaft???
Unread 05-17-2007, 06:50 PM   #4
Scottso699
2006 WK 

I you have that much lift it is probably too short - i changed out my CV drive shaft for an older style u-joint style slip type like all of the cherokees have - not only is this an easy swap (you just by a used cherokee shaft and a dana 30 1310 series pinion yoke) it is stronger and more durable and you can rebuild it when the u-joints die. Plus you can carry a spare and change it out in about 10 mins.

2006 WK Overland
2014 WK2 Limited
Scottso699 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2007, 07:12 PM   #5
anticrombie
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoso
Replacing the entire half shaft isn't that tough. I did it on my front driver's side because the boot ripped and the CV joint was exposed. The joint would click badly when turning. Eventually it got to a point where it would click when driving straight.

Replacement is pretty easy (besides some really rusted on bolts) and the parts are available at any local parts store. I think it was under $100.

He's talking driveshaft, not axle shafts.

Get a replacement DS in the u-joint variety, you'll be much better off.
anticrombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2007, 07:36 PM   #6
apex96zj

ok thanks, would i use a stock cherokee shaft? and where would i find a dana 30 1310 series pinion yoke? is that all i would need?? thanks for the help
Unread 05-17-2007, 07:54 PM   #7
anticrombie
1996 ZJ 

You could buy the yoke off a jeep at a junkyard or I'm sure you can find one online somewhere. And you could just use a stock shaft or you could go with a Tom woods custom shaft or something.
Unread 05-17-2007, 08:05 PM   #8
apex96zj

anticrombie wheres the closest junkyard around here? i see u live in raleigh...u go to NC state?
Unread 05-17-2007, 08:14 PM   #9
anticrombie
1996 ZJ 

Oh, crap, didn't realize you were in apex! Yeah, I go to State.

Closest is LKQ down in clayton. Take 40 east towards the beach, get off on 70 east towards clayton and it's a mile or two up on the right. There is a huge billboard that says LKQ salvage yard out front, and if you see the pure gold strip club, you've gone too far. I paid 14 dollars for a driveshaft from there not too long ago. Make sure you take 2 bucks cash for every person going, there is an entry fee there though.
Unread 05-18-2007, 10:06 PM   #10
bjl95mustang
1998 ZJ 

http://www.marshallsautoparts.com/

zj drive shafts for $25 plus like $10-25 for shipping

Got my fron u-joint axles for $85 shipped for the pair.

4.5" Lift: RE 4.5" springs,Iro rear 3.5 springs+1" spacer, RE shocks, All adjustable arms, IRO front track bar and HD bracket, Rear jks track bar, 1-Ton Steering, 242 tc, 33x12.5x15 GoodYear wrangler silent tires, 15" rock crawler rims, Aussie Locker For My 44A, 760X u-joint front axles.

Soon to come Lock Right Front Locker.

Jeep Inferno member #10

Texas Jeep Club Member #78
bjl95mustang is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.