ZJ front brake change no pressure - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 04-19-2016, 10:16 AM Thread Starter
JHarbuck
1995 ZJ 

ZJ front brake change no pressure

I know this is probably a repeat but i am new here. My ZJ is a daily driver not a trail rig so I need it back up as quickly as possible. I have bled and re bled brakes several times my bleeders are frozen and rounded off so have been bleeding from main connection on calipers is this a problem? i can get brakes to pump up with engine off but no pressure at all when running any and all help is greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 04-19-2016, 11:53 AM
coralman
USER OF PARTS CATALOGS

1998 ZJ 

Welcome to the forum! The frozen bleeders are not a good thing. Cracking the line may be letting air in as well as fluid out. You shouldn't have to pump the brakes to build pressure so you still have air in there probably. At this point its kind of go for broke thing on the bleeders. Vice grips, hammering on a smaller wrench or socket, might work. But if they are really stuck bad they will probably snap off. If you had the time you could try some rust penetrant soaking a few days. Rebuilt calipers aren't that expensive.

Info on projects and repairs categorized by system

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Originally Posted by HighLonesome
lol...if life is as a simple as a 5.9 making you happy, I'd say go ahead and buy it on impulse. ZJs are the way of Zen. Wax on, wax off
post #3 of 12 Old 04-19-2016, 12:21 PM
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

Yeah, you need to be able to open the bleeders to bleed them properly.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1984 F250, 460 BB, T19, work truck/future tow pig
1987 Mercedes 300D Turbo, the diesel daily, 30mpg in style

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas ZJ1 View Post
I heard someone yell "mall crawler" from the back porch. I'll go see who said that. Be right back.
post #4 of 12 Old 04-19-2016, 01:51 PM Thread Starter
JHarbuck
1995 ZJ 

Thanks Guys I kinda figured that was going to be an issue fixin to go try again.
post #5 of 12 Old 04-19-2016, 02:19 PM
MrRoundel
1998 ZJ 

I hope the vise-grips do it for you. If not, I wonder if one could use one of the cam-style stud-removers on it? The one I have is a 1/2" drive, so you can really get some torque on it, and I think they bite pretty well. There is a question of room to work though. Just a thought. Good luck.
Attached Thumbnails
DSC05394.jpg  
post #6 of 12 Old 04-19-2016, 02:30 PM
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

If you're not in the middle of nowhere I'd just replace the calipers, they should be all of $20 a pop.

Thats what I did when one of my bleeders sheared.

1984 F250, 460 BB, T19, work truck/future tow pig
1987 Mercedes 300D Turbo, the diesel daily, 30mpg in style

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas ZJ1 View Post
I heard someone yell "mall crawler" from the back porch. I'll go see who said that. Be right back.
post #7 of 12 Old 04-19-2016, 07:24 PM Thread Starter
JHarbuck
1995 ZJ 

Got it done vise grips did the trick Brakes are working now but i still have the Skronk skronk skronk noise that led me to do the brake job in the first place. checked bearings while i had things torn down they seem to be tight and no noise issues also cut off a broken piece of dust shield that i thought might be the culprit but noise is still there. Seems to be coming from left front wheel. any Ideas would be helpful.
post #8 of 12 Old 04-19-2016, 09:36 PM
Buick350X
1995 ZJ 

vise grips n plumbers torch will loosen a stuck bleeder... brakes get super hot as is...

1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee Orvis 4.0L Up-Country + BB - facebook groups JeepOrvis.Club JeepZJ.Club
post #9 of 12 Old 04-19-2016, 10:31 PM
MrRoundel
1998 ZJ 

Did you do a complete brake-job on the front, i.e, new pads, new or turned rotors? My fronts make some noises now and then, mostly after a rain or cool, moist weather period, but it subsides after a few good brakings. I figured it has something to do with my ceramic pads. Admittedly, I did not turn or replace the rotors on my last brake job, so that might be a culprit. Good luck.
post #10 of 12 Old 04-20-2016, 04:56 AM
coralman
USER OF PARTS CATALOGS

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRoundel View Post
I hope the vise-grips do it for you. If not, I wonder if one could use one of the cam-style stud-removers on it? The one I have is a 1/2" drive, so you can really get some torque on it, and I think they bite pretty well. There is a question of room to work though. Just a thought. Good luck.

I need a set of those, just cause they look cool

lol...if life is as a simple as a 5.9 making you happy, I'd say go ahead and buy it on impulse. ZJs are the way of Zen. Wax on, wax off
post #11 of 12 Old 04-20-2016, 10:08 AM
MrRoundel
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by coralman View Post
I need a set of those, just cause they look cool
Yeah, I was thinking that a 3/8", or even 1/4" drive tool would have a better chance in smaller areas. The 1/2" drive is pretty large. So yes, a set would be nice. I haven't seen them. But I haven't been looking either. Maybe there's a Binford 5000, gas-powered model available for you, Tim...er...coralman.
post #12 of 12 Old 04-21-2016, 03:59 AM
coralman
USER OF PARTS CATALOGS

1998 ZJ 

My reputation precedes me I presume?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.