ZJ Flashing Check Engine then Dying - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > ZJ Flashing Check Engine then Dying

Spartan Locker Promo Running now @ ROCKRIDGE 4WD plus FREEG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ ChTJ Wrangler 4" Rough Country Suspension Lift Kits in

Unread 03-17-2013, 08:35 PM   #1
JohnCrabtree
1994 ZJ 

ZJ Flashing Check Engine then Dying

I'll be driving in my 1994 ZJ (5.2L V8) when my flash engine light comes on and starts flashing like a strobe light and, about 2 seconds later, I lose power steering and my engine dies. This has happened twice in the last month, both times I was out 4 wheeling. I tried to turn the key to the on position three times to get the code but it just flashes like a strobe light (It normally works properly and reads me code 12 and 55 which are Battery Disconnected within 50 keyturns and end of codes). I have to get home somehow so I just disconnect the positive cable and reset all my electronics. It then seems to drive fine. The first time that happened I ended up disconnecting the battery and it ran for another 2 weeks and, upon going 4 wheeling again, it had the same problem. None of my gauges are out of the ordinary when this happens, no spike in voltage or anything. I have not gotten water anywhere near my engine.

Any ideas what this could be, what the cause is, and how I can fix it?

JohnCrabtree is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-19-2013, 04:58 PM   #2
JohnCrabtree
1994 ZJ 

If anyone has any ideas that would be very helpful!
Unread 03-19-2013, 05:01 PM   #3
ZJMatt
1998 ZJ 

Flashing CEL typically means you have a bad misfire. Are you going through deep water, that may be getting into a bad connection or bare wire somewhere?
Unread 03-19-2013, 05:48 PM   #4
JohnCrabtree
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZJMatt
Flashing CEL typically means you have a bad misfire. Are you going through deep water, that may be getting into a bad connection or bare wire somewhere?
Nope. I've never taken it through any water higher than 4 or 5 inches and none of that was like a river or lake or anything. It was all small puddles on the side of the road. However, I have only owned this jeep for a month or so.
Unread 03-19-2013, 05:49 PM   #5
JohnCrabtree
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZJMatt
Would a bad misfire make my car die completely?
Unread 03-19-2013, 08:19 PM   #6
Bannerman53
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnCrabtree View Post
Would a bad misfire make my car die completely?
It could, my brothers truck was misfiring really bad and would die when idling. Turned out to be the PCM, but I don't think thats your problem.
Bannerman53 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-19-2013, 08:32 PM   #7
JohnCrabtree
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bannerman53 View Post
It could, my brothers truck was misfiring really bad and would die when idling. Turned out to be the PCM, but I don't think thats your problem.
This happened while I was actually driving (foot on the gas), low RPMs but it was not idling. If it was a misfire, would pulling the positive cable fix it for a couple weeks?

Last edited by JohnCrabtree; 03-19-2013 at 09:02 PM..
Unread 03-20-2013, 06:35 PM   #8
JohnCrabtree
1994 ZJ 

Could it be my ECM malfunctioning?
Unread 03-24-2013, 10:22 AM   #9
JohnCrabtree
1994 ZJ 

Bump!
Unread 04-11-2013, 11:25 PM   #10
JohnCrabtree
1994 ZJ 

Still looking for ideas as to what this could be.

More info: Until about a week ago I thought that it might have something to do with the bouncing as it only happens while I am wheeling. However, I was out wheeling this weekend driving a lot faster than I normally do (the people I was with wanted to go fast) and there was a lot more aggressive bouncing than there was every other time it has died and it did not have any problems. This is making me think that it might be related to long times of running at low RPMs.

It does not seem to be related to how full my gas tank is as it happens when I'm low and completely full, along with everything in between.

I just replaced my fuel pump last week. The one in my jeep was the wrong pump for the car and was worn out. I am surprised my gas gauge even worked. I also changed the fuel filter which seemed like it might have never been changed (yes, it was THAT bad).
Unread 04-12-2013, 08:29 AM   #11
MrObvious
1996 ZJ 

I'm confused here, you say wheeling, but you say nothing deep. So what type of wheeling are you doing? Not trying to bash you just trying to figure out are you going through mud which can cake up on ground points, are you hitting water (which you say no), are you playing in clay, are you crawling it up rock, etc etc... It without a doubt sounds like the PCM is on it way out. Only reason I know this is because it happened to me. and it was random ghost codes too, one would come up, then go away, then another etc etc... Finally it through the infamous "Secondary ignition short" which leads back to faulty PCM. Pull your PCM, check the plugs, make sure all male pins are there and make sure all female brass fittings are inside of the plug. Also make sure the clips are holding the plugs in tightly.

Let us know
Got it stuck. It's still stuck. It's so stuck I could call insurance and say it was stolen and no one would ever know. It's so stuck I don't know anyone with a capable enough 4x4 to even to to where I got stuck to winch or yank me out.
MrObvious is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-12-2013, 09:18 AM   #12
JohnCrabtree
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrObvious
I'm confused here, you say wheeling, but you say nothing deep. So what type of wheeling are you doing? Not trying to bash you just trying to figure out are you going through mud which can cake up on ground points, are you hitting water (which you say no), are you playing in clay, are you crawling it up rock, etc etc... It without a doubt sounds like the PCM is on it way out. Only reason I know this is because it happened to me. and it was random ghost codes too, one would come up, then go away, then another etc etc... Finally it through the infamous "Secondary ignition short" which leads back to faulty PCM. Pull your PCM, check the plugs, make sure all male pins are there and make sure all female brass fittings are inside of the plug. Also make sure the clips are holding the plugs in tightly.

Let us know
All the wheeling I do is on a mainly dirt road (a few gravel spots here and there). I don't rock climb. I don't drive through lakes or rivers. No clay. Deepest puddle i've hit is maybe 6 inches deep. This occurred the very first time I had brought it wheeling and then PO used it as a mall crawler. I'll check out the PCM when I have a chance, probably not till late afternoon.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
Unread 04-12-2013, 10:07 AM   #13
MrObvious
1996 ZJ 

When you check the PCM look closely make sure all pins are there also, with it running wiggle the clips closing the wires to the PCM if it stalls or dies you have found your culprit
Got it stuck. It's still stuck. It's so stuck I could call insurance and say it was stolen and no one would ever know. It's so stuck I don't know anyone with a capable enough 4x4 to even to to where I got stuck to winch or yank me out.
MrObvious is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-12-2013, 03:42 PM   #14
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

flashing check engine light almost always indicates a misfire, and does always indicate the computer has detected a condition that can cause serious mechanical damage to the motor and you should shut it off.

i would check the capacitors in your computer, all the tune up items(cap,rotor, wires, plugs), crank sensor, and o2 sensor wiring.

is the tach jumping around while the light is flashing?

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-12-2013, 03:47 PM   #15
JohnCrabtree
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratmonkey
flashing check engine light almost always indicates a misfire, and does always indicate the computer has detected a condition that can cause serious mechanical damage to the motor and you should shut it off.

i would check the capacitors in your computer, all the tune up items(cap,rotor, wires, plugs), crank sensor, and o2 sensor wiring.

is the tach jumping around while the light is flashing?
The tach goes crazy, its all over the place. When i apply light, steady pressure to the gas pedal it jumps almost to redline and then back down (holding my foot steady the whole time).

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.