ZJ exhaust system... which one?? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > ZJ exhaust system... which one??

2014 Spartan Locker Special - While Supplies Last! Dana 3The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!The RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!

Unread 11-02-2002, 08:58 PM   #1
jlr69s
1985 CJ7 

ZJ exhaust system... which one??

Hello everyone... Im new here. I just bought a '96 Grand Laredo, 2wd, with 72k miles. My dad and I race vintage Porsche 911's and there has never been any kind of truck in the family so I am VERY new to the whole SUV thing. I think my first mod will be a new exhaust system, unless you guys tell me other wise. I wont be doing too much off road driving due to my 2wd drivetrain, but I want a nice exhaust that sounds nice, not too loud, and will perform well for years to come. Any other info and possible future nods y'all can pass on would be greatly appreciated as well. Best regards, Joey Riley

jlr69s is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-03-2002, 05:06 AM   #2
moabster
2011 WK 

Welcome to the forum. While most people on this board are off roaders, we welcome everyone and look forward to hearing about your experiences with your new jeep. Several people have replaced air filters/systems, intakes, headers and exhaust so ask around and you should get some responses. Also feel free to search the old posts. A hint about using the search engine. Make sure you specify which section to search. If you do not you only search the admin section and don't get any good results .

Post a picture in the Registry section. Several sections have sticky notes that are worth reading.

Again, Welcome,

Moabster
Bullet Proof Front and Rear Bumpers and Tow bar
moabster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-03-2002, 11:11 AM   #3
Kess

exhaust is a good place to start, air in/air out, the better it gets in/out your engine will be able to breathe, there really isnt much need for headers prolly for you, that gives torque and waht not yeah, but number one its a pain in the *** to change them in the I6, number 2 they are disgustingly expensive, number 3 the I6 comes with a header system to begin with as opposed to exhaust manifolds, they are steel i believe and thats basicallly all your buying again.....just fyi...an exhaust system i would look in to is at www.rustysoffroad.com and its the zj set up with the flowmaster or dynomax ultra flow, im kinda curious myself as how the dynomax sounds, but alot of people around the board have a flowmaster muffler and they can give you an idea about the soundage youll get outta that...even stuff you can do to ur new ride is stuff you do to any new car, a tune up....cap, plugs, wires, rotor, fuel filter, and of course opt for the high end wires, like 8mm, plugs by preference really, and higher end caps and rotors, i mean why not......

Retired:1994 JGC Laredo I6 4.0L, Smittybilt Outland brush guard, 1 3/4" Daystar coil spacers, custom air intake with tube K&N, Borla cat-back, KC Daylighters 6" 150w stainless steel, Xenon superwhite headlights 85/100w, 235/75/15 Pirelli Scorpian A/T, billit aluminum grill inserts
Kess is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2002, 06:57 PM   #4
eltj

I have a 95 lerado with the 4.0 and run the stainless Gibson Header and Cat Back. The Header is a little pricy but is very good quality. You can start with a cat back but will eventually end up doing the header later if it hasn't already been replaced. They all will eventually crack and if your going to be under your jeep you might as well do it all. All the cat back are going to give you about the same amount of power but the Flowmaster is going to be the noisiest out of the bunch.
eltj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2002, 07:05 PM   #5
ZR7 Ken

We put a Mopar Performance cat-back kit on my friends 95 5.2L ZJ and it sounds great in my opinion. Same type of tone as a 5.9Limited, but a little louder.
ZR7 Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-06-2002, 06:01 AM   #6
Lennyd69

What size engine do you have in your grand?
Lennyd69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-11-2002, 10:24 PM   #7
iroc22

I got the Dynomax Super Turbo catback.....very pleased with it.
iroc22 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.