ZJ - Exhaust/Muffler Set-ups - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > ZJ - Exhaust/Muffler Set-ups

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineOfficial Chassis Saver Rust Preventive Truck & Auto UnFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 09-28-2008, 12:28 AM   #1
MoonyJohn
Mountain Climber

2008 JK Wrangler 

ZJ - Exhaust/Muffler Set-ups

I was think of getting a muffler from wither flowmaster or magnaflow. What size is the piping that I need to the inlet. I would be getting a single inlet and a single outlet. I would also cut the piping off after the muffler and put a turn down pipe on right where it ends to give it that hummmm. What muffler would you prefer, or do you have set up.

Give me some sound clips or videos of it. Im just shooting for a muffler though, no piping...

"Water covers 3/4 of the earth, Jeep covers the rest"
MoonyJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2008, 02:23 AM   #2
sandman
1993 ZJ 

i am running a catco hiflow cat to a FM super 40 to turn down. its a bit loud sometimes, especially when trail riding at low rpms. i believe the 60 or 70 series is whats recomended for the 4.0 im sure kolak will chime in on this though. also be careful running a turndown my abs wire showed some heat damage so i wrapped it with some heatshield tape stuff and its been fine since.
Unread 09-28-2008, 06:10 AM   #3
SkyjacktZJ
1995 ZJ 

I'm running a Magnaflow and it sounds great with the 5.2. Just get under there and measure the pipe - done.

Not sure how it would sound on a 4.0 though.
Unread 09-28-2008, 08:35 AM   #4
jabsther
2010 JK Wrangler 

I have the Magnaflow Stainless Cat-Back System PERFORMANCE EXHAUST p/n 15857. It increased my deep tone some, but not too loud. Bought because of others rusting from the beach. Did notice that the gas milage stayed the same over the summer with it, even with AC on. But seems to have increased some since. Who I bought it from sent me the wrong one (for a TJ I think) and sent me two of the right ones. Now I have an extra TJ and ZJ system sitting in my basement.
jabsther is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2008, 10:22 AM   #5
SkyjacktZJ
1995 ZJ 

"Extra" ZJ catback you say???
Unread 09-28-2008, 10:22 AM   #6
SkyjacktZJ
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman View Post
OK, what is going on here, this is totally not my fault, JF is acting funny and itst aking like 5minutes just to load 1 page. sorry to the OP. someone please delete these.
Something was definitely going on last night. I had 4 notices of one PM.
Unread 09-28-2008, 10:30 AM   #7
MoonyJohn
Mountain Climber

2008 JK Wrangler 

My sisters boyfriend is running a magnaflow to a turn down and it sounds amazing. Its on a V6 too so I would find it similar to mine if I had a setup like his. He says at around 2000 rpm it shakes his dash and whatever is in his cup holder in his center console. My other friend is also running a flowmaster 50 series with his V8 and I have to be honest, I dont like it too much. I mean his Jeeps a beast, but it sounds like a metal ball is in there bouncing around in a tin can really fast. No offense to flowmaster 50 owners.

I dont care much for double posts or anything. I remember it was happening to me not too long ago too. But then I refreshed the page and all the posts were gone. Strange...

Unread 09-28-2008, 12:02 PM   #8
TslAtticus
1994 ZJ 

my 4.0 with a magnaflow muffler and hi-flow cat.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykubrQjZTMM
TslAtticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2008, 12:10 PM   #9
MoonyJohn
Mountain Climber

2008 JK Wrangler 

nice... I was looking at this muffler on ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Magna...mZ260213143909

Would that size inlet and outlet work on a stock piping?

Unread 09-28-2008, 01:32 PM   #10
BlingBlingZJ
2002 WJ 

I have the 50 series flowmaster and it sounds great, not that loud when cruisin but when you step on it, oh man! I probably will get a 40 series and 3" exhaust soon though because I want it to be louder.
Unread 09-28-2008, 01:40 PM   #11
TslAtticus
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonyJohn View Post
nice... I was looking at this muffler on ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Magna...mZ260213143909

Would that size inlet and outlet work on a stock piping?

Thats the same muffler i have except mine has offset inlet/outlets which is how a stock ZJ muffler is (at least mine was). The stock piping is 2" so no that will not work with the stock pipes. I went to Meinike and they bent me up new 2.5" pipes for $130 and welded my new cat and muffler on.
Unread 09-28-2008, 01:42 PM   #12
MoonyJohn
Mountain Climber

2008 JK Wrangler 

So I should search for a magnaflow 2 in and 2 out either offset or center? I would be doing a turn down so would that make any difference? Also, I was thinking about getting a 18" long muffler. What does the lengths role play in anything?

Unread 09-28-2008, 01:51 PM   #13
TslAtticus
1994 ZJ 

I don't think a turn down would make a difference. The size of the muffler determines the loudness, smaller is louder and bigger is quieter. The 5x8 is a good in between. Why not upgrade to larger pipes? I've learned from Kolak that 2.5" is the optimum diameter for the 4.0.
Unread 09-28-2008, 01:58 PM   #14
MoonyJohn
Mountain Climber

2008 JK Wrangler 

Well, I am only getting the muffler because thats all I can afford right now. So should I get a small length muffler then if I want it louder?

Unread 09-28-2008, 02:01 PM   #15
MoonyJohn
Mountain Climber

2008 JK Wrangler 

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Magna...mZ250217461529

Here is what I found that would work, correct?

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.