ZJ Electric window off track - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > ZJ Electric window off track

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Yukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon Zip

Unread 09-23-2009, 09:24 PM   #1
PaLftr
1997 ZJ 

ZJ Electric window off track

I put the window to the upward most position and put window lock on so it doesn't fall, but it makes a horrible noise when hitting bumps/vibes.

How do I get it back on the track? Is it doable at home or do I have to go to the stealership?

PaLftr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2009, 10:34 PM   #2
CMARJEEP
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaLftr View Post
I put the window to the upward most position and put window lock on so it doesn't fall, but it makes a horrible noise when hitting bumps/vibes.

How do I get it back on the track? Is it doable at home or do I have to go to the stealership?
You do know that window lock just disables the switches and doesn't actually lock the window in place right?

It probably didn't come off the track. Your window regulator probably broke. Its a pretty common problem. Its a simple fix with basic hand tools. Took me about 45 minutes to do on my own the first time. The regulator comes in a whole assembly with the track and motor for about $75-85.
Unread 09-24-2009, 10:14 AM   #3
PaLftr
1997 ZJ 

yeah i know, just didnt want anyone bumping the switch lol

Someone did before and the window came falling down and almost shattered...So i'm thinking it's off the track
Unread 09-24-2009, 10:20 AM   #4
MAUSS
1996 ZJ 

If it's like mine was, the regulator is fine... the glue that holds the glass in the channel that the regulator attaches to has let go. Easy fix with a little new glue. Take off the door panel and look at it... it will be obvious. This has happened on 2 separate windows in my '93 Limited.
Unread 09-24-2009, 01:47 PM   #5
Texas98ZJ
1998 ZJ 

My window fell off track and the leading edge of the window was loose and would wiggle up and down; took the door apart and the plastic wheel (track guide) was broken off the regulator (the scissor-type "thing"). New regulator was $55 and I just re-used the old motor since it was fine. Pull your door panel and plastic sheeting off; take a look and let us know what you see - sounds to me like you need a new regulator. Stay away from dealers on this issue - they LOVE fixing power windows...$$$$ There are plenty of vids on youtube, etc... that will give you a good idea of how hard it is - one guy does it in about 10 minutes from start to finish....
Texas98ZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2009, 02:59 PM   #6
PaLftr
1997 ZJ 

Solid info fellas
Unread 09-25-2009, 10:29 AM   #7
Texas98ZJ
1998 ZJ 

One more thought just incase you dive into the project - be VERY careful when removing the motor from the regulator. The three bolts that hold the motor onto the regulator also use the motor to hold tension in the scissor spring that's there (you'll see what I'm talkin about). I didn't have a solid grasp on the regulator and when I took out those three bolts the regulator pops open pretty violently - just be warned! Not a big deal - just food for thought! If replacing the regulator - I'd also take white out and make a dot along the motor/scissor gear assembly so you can get it into exact position by counting teeth when you go to re-install. Just tips I thought about last night!
Texas98ZJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.