ZJ Electric Trailer Brakes - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > ZJ Electric Trailer Brakes

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGJK Vent Covers - NalinMFG

Unread 07-25-2009, 02:20 PM   #1
IslandManMitch
1996 ZJ 

ZJ Electric Trailer Brakes

My '96 ZJ Limited came with the trailer wiring factory installed. I bought a trailer that has electric brakes. Where do I connect a brake controller? Is it prewired under the dash somewhere? Do I have to buy a special controller? Thanks for any information you can render.

IslandManMitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2009, 09:20 PM   #2
BlackDaddyZJ
1994 ZJ 

its not prewired under the dash you have to run the wires. You do have to buy a controller for it and i suggest draw tite. i never had a problem with mine and its now 8 yrs old. I personally mounted it to the right of the steering wheel under where the rear wiper switch is. easy to access there.
IRO 4.5" Lift
35x12.5 Mickey Thompson Baja MTZ's

98 5.9
Restored and daily driven
BlackDaddyZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2009, 09:36 PM   #3
Dillonzj
1998 ZJ 

Some ZJs with the tow pkg. did come prewired for the trailer brakes... and controllers..

Crane Cam shaft and Crane, Roller Rockers, bored .030 over, edelbrock performer heads, M1 Intake manifold, Fasstman throttle body, magnacore wires, platinum plugs, K&N FIPK, dough thorley headers,3" high flow cat, 3" magnaflow mandrel bent exhaust, SCT tuned

***future mods -5.5 IRO LA - KOR sliders -KOR roof rack -

SOLD-
95' JEEP GRAND CHEROKEE LIMITED
188k 5.2L v8 White 98 ZJ rims

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashmd454 View Post
...we all know they empty our pockets...yet they fill our hearts...

MY BUILD THREAD
Dillonzj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2009, 08:21 PM   #4
vansskaterfreek
1998 ZJ 

i have a drawtite and its been good to me so far, there is a blue wire under the dash that runs to the rear of the vehicle for the brakes, you just have to run the power, ground and the wire to the brake controller to the brake switch.... i mounted mine right under my transfer case shifter in my zj....its out of the way and you can access everything.
Unread 07-27-2009, 04:48 PM   #5
IslandManMitch
1996 ZJ 

Blue wire

I found the blue wire. It was even tagged "Electric brake". Thanks for the help.
IslandManMitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2013, 10:01 AM   #6
dcpnz
1997 ZJ 

Dredging up an old thread here but seems appropriate place for it.

I'm wiring up a brake controller and 7 pin on my '97 ZJ.

I have the blue wire under dash labeled "Electric Brake".
Question is where is the other end most likely to be hidden in the rear of the vehicle?

Have found good directions for connecting the stoplight wire and should be straightforward to run 12v + and ground.

I do not have factory tow package but appears my '97 ZJ Ltd did come standard with transmission cooler.

Thanks
dcpnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2013, 10:06 AM   #7
dnuccio
1995 ZJ 

to use the factory electric brake wire, you need a factory trailer wiring harness. the wire goes to the rear passenger side, but it is in the plug that the factory trailer wiring plugs into. im sure you could probe around and find it, but then you would have to chop up the wiring harness. not something i would do, but to each his own.
Unread 07-19-2013, 11:09 AM   #8
dcpnz
1997 ZJ 

Rear passenger side huh!!
That'd be typical to put it on the other side from the easy access panel behind the spare where my aftermarket 4 pin flat pigtail connects.

I guess I'm running my own wire then unless someone can help me with part # or link to factory harness for 7 pin for '97 ZJ.
Unread 07-19-2013, 12:51 PM   #9
SLOspeed
1996 ZJ 

96 and up had the pigtail (and the whole wiring harness) on the driver side, behind and forward of the spare tire. Roughly centered on the rear window. You have to remove the side panel to get to it. The trailer harness should be available from a dealer, or maybe at one of the online Jeep vendors. I picked mine up at a junkyard for a few bucks.

Since you already have the blue "trailer brake" wire, you have the trailer prep package which has the pigtail for the wiring to plug into. Non-trailer prep vehicles do not have the blue wire OR the pigtail, so you'd be on your own for wiring up a trailer.
SLOspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2013, 01:13 PM   #10
dnuccio
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLOspeed View Post
96 and up had the pigtail (and the whole wiring harness) on the driver side, behind and forward of the spare tire. Roughly centered on the rear window. .
ohhhhhhhh thats why i could never find it on mine. koreazj posted the diagram for the 96+. i guess 93-95 were on the passenger side
Unread 07-19-2013, 04:26 PM   #11
dcpnz
1997 ZJ 

Thanks SLOspeed

One more question before I go pulling that panel off - if i already have an aftermarket 4 pin harness plugged into a factory connector will the 7 pin oem harness use that same connector (substitute for the 4 pin) or is there another one tucked back in there somewhere?
Unread 07-19-2013, 04:49 PM   #12
dnuccio
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcpnz View Post
Thanks SLOspeed

One more question before I go pulling that panel off - if i already have an aftermarket 4 pin harness plugged into a factory connector will the 7 pin oem harness use that same connector (substitute for the 4 pin) or is there another one tucked back in there somewhere?
what aftermarket harness do you have? AFAIK theres no aftermarket harnesses that use the factory trailer wiring plug.
Unread 07-19-2013, 05:47 PM   #13
dcpnz
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnuccio View Post
what aftermarket harness do you have? AFAIK theres no aftermarket harnesses that use the factory trailer wiring plug.
Ahh yeah - ignore my previous post. Sorry.
Its a Draw Tite. I didn't install it and a cursory look made me think it was plugged in but now that I've looked properly its actually spliced into wires directly adjacent to two grey connector plugs.

Back to taking the panel off to find the tow prep package factory wiring plug and searching for the OEM harness for a reasonable price I guess.
Unread 07-19-2013, 06:42 PM   #14
dnuccio
1995 ZJ 

heres a diagram koreazj posted. i think its for 96-98 ZJs

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.