ZJ electric fan swap - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > ZJ electric fan swap

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank Skid

Unread 07-30-2012, 11:38 AM   #1
JohnnyZJ
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

ZJ electric fan swap

hey gents, looking for a quick write up on wiring up a Taurus fan. or should i go with the niner setup?

i'm not great with electrical; i admit this, so if someone has a diagram to follow that would be sweet.

also, is there a module of some sort that i can use so the fans come on automatically with a 'kill switch' option (for water crossings)

some guidance is greatly appreciated.

13' GMC Sierra ~ 2.5" lift 33" MTs.
RIP 95 ZJ ~ 33s built/longarmed/locked/awesome Feb 2014 ZJOTM winner
JohnnyZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2012, 12:05 PM   #2
HighLonesome
Belief In All Things Jeep

1995 ZJ 

Do yourself a big favor and get one of these (the top one)...

http://www.dccontrol.com/relay_controllers.htm

Put a switch on the yellow wire for a fan disable.
HighLonesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2012, 12:09 PM   #3
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Both taurus fan and 5.9 fan work well. One is just more expensive. The 5.9 fan is a direct fit though. You can wire the fan to a thermostat to come on at whatever temp you want and then to a relay with a switch in the cab so you can cut the power for water crossings.

Or you can listen to HighLonesome which is a much better idea.
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2012, 12:42 PM   #4
Crasher
1997 ZJ 

Just so you know, the Taurus fan is not a cure all for everyone. Most are happy with it. I tried one on my 5.2 ZJ and it would overheat at highway speeds. The stock mechanical fan does a great job. The Taurus shroud does not cover the lower 2" of the radiator whereas the 5.9 would. I also had one on my Juggy with a 350 engine. It would heat up on long climbs that required some power. The smallest v8 needs 3000 cfm to cool it in all conditions. I think the Taurus is around 2000.

But, as i said, a lot of people are happy with them. I'm just one of a growing number that isn't.
97 ZJ 5.2, 3.8 Atlas TC, 488s, 8.8 rear w/ARB locker, hp30 w/Oxlocker, Alloys F&R, 35" KM2s, 7" Clayton L A, ARB Bull Bar/Warn, ProtoFab w/ tire carrier, Clayton skid, rock sliders, ORO dual rate Swaybar, Redneck steering assist

97 TJ Juggy, 350 V8, 700R4, D60, 14 bolt, locked, 14" ORI Struts, 113" wb, 42" Pit Bulls, Stazworks beadlocks, F&R winches, caged, Anti-Rock, PSI full hyd steering,
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2012, 01:16 PM   #5
JohnnyZJ
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

crasher thats nice to know.

so then the niner fans pull more than 3k i assume?
Unread 07-30-2012, 01:37 PM   #6
Crasher
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyZJ View Post
crasher thats nice to know.

so then the niner fans pull more than 3k i assume?
I don't know the cfm, but they seem to cool the 5.9 adiquately. If I was going to try another electric fan, it would be the 5.9. Why do you want to go to electric? The mechanical fan is so simple and there isn't enough power savings to spit at. They talk several hp savings, but that is at very high rpm and an electric forces the alternator to full more power from the engine to offset most of the savings. The only advantage I see for electric is if you have an overheating problem in slow stop and go traffic. It will blow it's max cfm at an idle.
97 ZJ 5.2, 3.8 Atlas TC, 488s, 8.8 rear w/ARB locker, hp30 w/Oxlocker, Alloys F&R, 35" KM2s, 7" Clayton L A, ARB Bull Bar/Warn, ProtoFab w/ tire carrier, Clayton skid, rock sliders, ORO dual rate Swaybar, Redneck steering assist

97 TJ Juggy, 350 V8, 700R4, D60, 14 bolt, locked, 14" ORI Struts, 113" wb, 42" Pit Bulls, Stazworks beadlocks, F&R winches, caged, Anti-Rock, PSI full hyd steering,
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2012, 01:38 PM   #7
MeanGreenZJ
Web Wheeler

I just installed a 5.9 e-fan setup in my 96 a couple of weeks ago. After looking at controllers and such, I have came to the conclusion that the 5.9 factory setup is the most reliable setup and most simple. If the low speed relay or sensor fails the high speed is there as a back up. The only reason I went with the e-fan setup is to get better A/C cooling while in stop and go traffic.
MeanGreenZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2012, 01:51 PM   #8
Canyon411
1995 ZJ 

Water-crossing is a big benefit to either of the electric set-ups. Learned this the hard way (the pull your radiator cause the fins were sliced up with fan blades from my stock clutchfan kind of hard way.) If you are going to get her wet alot and might need to press down hard on the LOUD pedle to get un-wet, Go E-fan with kill-switch.

I have nothing against the clutchfans, they just don't do well as propellers.
Canyon411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2012, 02:27 PM   #9
JohnnyZJ
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

plan is to run a niner alternator to keep up with draw. not necessarily for a power upgrade; you actually hit it on the head crasher; want max power for idling, using AC on the trail (sue me, i like wheeling in luxury lol) and for long uphill pulls sometimes the temp creeps up; again i'd like the full power. lots of uphill climbs out here that require some throttle, she gets a little hot. also sometimes on the highway.............

and as Canyon 411 also explains, clutch fans do not make great propellers....... lol. i've not run into this issue just yet, but still a nice option.....

also, i'd carry the stock clutch fan with me just incase i blow the efan on the trail.
Unread 07-30-2012, 03:08 PM   #10
Area.3.Fiftyone
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeanGreenZJ View Post
I just installed a 5.9 e-fan setup in my 96 a couple of weeks ago. After looking at controllers and such, I have came to the conclusion that the 5.9 factory setup is the most reliable setup and most simple. If the low speed relay or sensor fails the high speed is there as a back up. The only reason I went with the e-fan setup is to get better A/C cooling while in stop and go traffic.
I have a niner fan and both upper and lower hose adapters and switches.

What else is involved in wiring it up? I have been wanting to do this for a while and was wondering if there was a writeup on how to wire like OEM.
Unread 07-30-2012, 03:22 PM   #11
MeanGreenZJ
Web Wheeler

You need 3 relays. One for low speed, one for high speed and another for your A/C if it works. Hope you got the relays out of the 5.9 the 70amp relays are not cheap. Other then that you need a power feed from you power distribution center and a 60 amp fuse and a switched power wire to power the relay coils so that the fan does not run with the key off. I wired mine use a 5.9 FSM diagram. The only thing I did different from the factory spec is the A/C trigger. The factory uses a pressure switch on the A/C line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronMaiden View Post
I have a niner fan and both upper and lower hose adapters and switches.

What else is involved in wiring it up? I have been wanting to do this for a while and was wondering if there was a writeup on how to wire like OEM.
Unread 07-30-2012, 06:20 PM   #12
CatSplat
Derp.

1994 ZJ 

Easiest wiring and fan assembly is the Volvo unit. Same 2-speed fan motor as the Taurus, but with a really nice dedicated relay package. Also, the fan bolts to the shroud, so rather than mucking around with the molded Taurus shroud you can make your own fitted shroud out of sheet metal (or find a way to adapt it to the stock shroud).

Wiring/thermoswitch writeup

Unread 07-30-2012, 07:04 PM   #13
Area.3.Fiftyone
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeanGreenZJ View Post
You need 3 relays. One for low speed, one for high speed and another for your A/C if it works. Hope you got the relays out of the 5.9 the 70amp relays are not cheap. Other then that you need a power feed from you power distribution center and a 60 amp fuse and a switched power wire to power the relay coils so that the fan does not run with the key off. I wired mine use a 5.9 FSM diagram. The only thing I did different from the factory spec is the A/C trigger. The factory uses a pressure switch on the A/C line.
I didn't grab the relays, but I can go back and get them. The niner is still in the yard.

Are they in the distribution block on the passenger side fender?
Unread 07-30-2012, 07:24 PM   #14
MeanGreenZJ
Web Wheeler

On the inner fender beside the battery. Try to cut the wiring as long as you can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronMaiden View Post
I didn't grab the relays, but I can go back and get them. The niner is still in the yard.

Are they in the distribution block on the passenger side fender?
Unread 07-31-2012, 08:46 AM   #15
JohnnyZJ
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

catsplat, we should 'neck it up and hit up PNP this weekend. lol

thanks for the hits guys.

i also have another line on a niner, and i'm REALLY tempted to grab this puppy. just incase the motor/tranny go in my 95....... nice to have a 5.9 ready to swap. lol. oh the decisions!
i really like the idea of grabbing stock type components to wire everything up. i was originally going to wire it up strictly to a switch, but i'm that guy that'lll forget to turn it on or off lol .

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.