JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/)
-   -   ZJ: Driver's door latch cracked and torn from metal?? (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/zj-drivers-door-latch-cracked-torn-metal-755401/)

aaron7 04-17-2009 11:12 AM

ZJ: Driver's door latch cracked and torn from metal??

Went to shut my door today and it just bounced back at me... looked at it and saw that the whole latch assembly on the door itself is cracked and torn from the sheet metal!

Is this common?? How the heck did I do that?

Guess I'll jump on Craigslist and try to find one. This one was rusty underneath anyways.

roachjuice 04-18-2009 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aaron7 (Post 7035178)
Went to shut my door today and it just bounced back at me... looked at it and saw that the whole latch assembly on the door itself is cracked and torn from the sheet metal!

Guess I'll jump on Craigslist and try to find one. This one was rusty underneath anyways.

mine ****ing did that **** a month after i had it!! jb welded it. works great now.

driabyor 04-18-2009 04:27 PM

it's common there may even be a write up for it.... mine did it.... i found a latch from a dodge van....
The one I saw here the person had made a new piece of metal for it.....

j.love 04-18-2009 06:52 PM

Is the door sheet metal cracked? that sucks.

If your interested in a drive to PA. I have 4 doors in Bright Platinum. :D

aaron7 04-18-2009 09:10 PM

I found a minty door at the junkyard for $100 complete. Mine was rusty anyways. Guess this is caused from loose hinges causing the door to sag. Super lame but whatever, it was time haha

ZJeepMI 04-18-2009 09:16 PM

I bought mine with the same thing, I tried to fix it by cutting out that whole section and welding in a new plate, but that didn't work, so I just bought a new door. From what i've read it's caused by the door pins being bad.

95GC_Fred 11-06-2013 09:37 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Yes, 4 years later November 2013 , I created a CAD DXF file that you can give to a CNC plasma cutter machine to create a Door Latch Panel Patch Plate to MIG weld over the existing cracked and broken thin sheet door metal. Use 16 gauge sheet steel and counter sink the 3 T-30 Torx screw
holes to match the side you are placing the patch on (left or right side). PM with your questions. This Patch Panel allowed me to keep using my present Jeep Grand Cherokee door. :thumbsup: Yes I replaced the door's lower hinge pin with Doorman Products Part 38422. The Doorman # 38423 is used for Dodge RAM 1500 and Dodge Dakota trucks. The # 38423 might work for the upper hinge pin replacement part that has a groove and a C-clip for mounting the pin upside down.

Doorman Hinge Pin 38422

Follow these two links:
Fabrication Forum CAD Files and Pictures

and

More Pictures and the DXF and PDF files

KJK 11-07-2013 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aaron7 (Post 7035178)

It happens because your hinges are worn out and the door is misaligned. Everytime you slam it closed the striker on the body is hitting the latch assembly in the wrong place and this fatigues the metal over time until the day when this happens.

So, I guess the lesson here is that if your hinges appear to be wearing badly fix them ASAP!

bigbill888 11-07-2013 10:10 AM

The Dorman bushings are junk and will be no good in a year. Get stamped steel ones from the dealership.

wtroger 02-03-2014 09:03 PM

I bought two of the 38422 and one of the 38423 use one of the 38422 for the bottom hinge use the long pin from the 38423 and the bushings from the other 38422 for the top hinge. The bushings from the 38423 aren't right for the hinge

kg6mov 02-04-2014 02:01 AM

Get the ones from the stealership. It's worth it.

The bushings from the dealer have an inner teflon like coating and press fit into the outer hinge, so they only move around the pin and don't wallow out the hinge. The ones in the green jeep are still factory, and I've only had to replace the top bushings on the niner. Should be good for another 16 years now.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/attac...-build-2-5.jpg

Timo_90xj 02-04-2014 04:42 AM

This is good info.. I bought a set of OmixAda replacement door pins and bushings (brass) for the front doors. I though they may not survive more than a year or two especially on the drivers' door since it's beeing used often and weighs so damn much. If the bushings go bad, I'll go grab the OEM bushings if they're still good.

Btw., even though my drivers' door wasn't too bad the latch was already starting to separate from the door. I'll have to drill a relieve hole at the end of the crack on the sheetmetal to prevent it from extending further.

The time now is 10:48 AM.