ZJ Drive Train Help Please - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > ZJ Drive Train Help Please

WJ Modular Recovery & Bull Bar Relocation PackagesRough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!Steinjager TJ tube doors

Unread 11-16-2012, 10:58 AM   #1
jt_armstrong
1994 ZJ 

ZJ Drive Train Help Please

I bought my '94 ZJ on Monday and took today off work to give it a general once over. After jacking up the front, I noticed both front wheels spin Despite this being my 5th Jeep it is my first with "always on" 4 wheel drive.
A quick check showed that the front drive shaft was missing. I also have a receipt from Jan '12 for the fitting of a new front diff. I am assuming both are linked. My questions:-

1)How does the Jeep manage the 4x4 function? Is it with a viscous coupling similar to the P38 Range Rovers?
2) How can I test the transfer box with a front drive shaft missing?
3) What damage will be caused if I continue to run it with only the rear wheels driving?
4) I also noticed that both front CV rubber boots are split. Is there a way to test the CV?

jt_armstrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2012, 11:57 AM   #2
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

1 yes
2 can't
3 no more damage as its all been done. The coupler is already ruined by driving even a short time with no shaft.
4 replace the axle shafts

Before putting a new drive shaft in, verify the front gear ratio matches the rear.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2012, 12:42 PM   #3
jt_armstrong
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratmonkey View Post
1 yes
2 can't
3 no more damage as its all been done. The coupler is already ruined by driving even a short time with no shaft.
4 replace the axle shafts

Before putting a new drive shaft in, verify the front gear ratio matches the rear.
Thanks ratmonkey. Is there a recommended manufacturer for the replacment axle shafts?
Unread 11-16-2012, 11:21 PM   #4
jt_armstrong
1994 ZJ 

OK, so I spent the afternoon wrestling with the hub nuts. What a PITA. Nothing i have will shift these wee rascals. I have a 2 foot breaker bar and even with all my 220lbs standing on the end of the bar it still wont budge. What else can i do? Will a manual impact driver help or do i just need to find a bigger breaker bar?
Unread 11-16-2012, 11:30 PM   #5
nicklopic
1998 ZJ 

Soak it in PB blaster over night and try it again In the morning
Unread 11-17-2012, 12:13 AM   #6
jt_armstrong
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicklopic View Post
Soak it in PB blaster over night and try it again In the morning
Done. Fingers crossed tomorrow will bring more sucess.
Unread 11-17-2012, 01:43 AM   #7
Gr8Hondo
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jt_armstrong
OK, so I spent the afternoon wrestling with the hub nuts. What a PITA. Nothing i have will shift these wee rascals. I have a 2 foot breaker bar and even with all my 220lbs standing on the end of the bar it still wont budge. What else can i do? Will a manual impact driver help or do i just need to find a bigger breaker bar?
Brace your breaker bar on a jack and use the jack to do the back breaking job!
Gr8Hondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2012, 04:43 AM   #8
nicklopic
1998 ZJ 

Goodluck man!
Unread 11-17-2012, 12:40 PM   #9
jt_armstrong
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gr8Hondo View Post
Brace your breaker bar on a jack and use the jack to do the back breaking job!
Tried this heard the loud crack and thought success - unfortunetly it was my breaker bar that made the crack as the end shered off.
I think its time to throw in the towel and get a local garage to do this.
Unread 11-17-2012, 12:52 PM   #10
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

usually any impact method will take it off pretty easily.

Unread 11-17-2012, 01:30 PM   #11
jt_armstrong
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratmonkey View Post
usually any impact method will take it off pretty easily.
Would one of those manual impact drivers work? Lisle do one that claims to deliver 200 foot/lbs of shock torque. Amazon have it on offer for $30.

One last thing - just for sh1ts and giggles - tell me hub nut isnt a left hand thread.....
Unread 11-17-2012, 02:25 PM   #12
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

it's standard thread.
they get seized pretty good. first one i ever did i needed to get it cherry red hot before it broke loose with a good 1/2" drive impact gun.

i was thinking get a good breaker bar and a decent 3lb brass hammer for the manual impact actually. lol

Unread 11-21-2012, 08:55 PM   #13
jt_armstrong
1994 ZJ 

Success at last. Borrowed a mates battery powered impact driver and it whipped the nut off like it wasnt torqued up. I think i will be investing in one of these on black friday..Thanks for all your help and suggestions.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.