zj died! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > zj died!

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ Ch

Unread 01-05-2005, 08:41 PM   #1
papashango

zj died!

need some help guys...today while i was driving i noticed that my zj* was sort of sputtering...my tach would go from 2200 rpm to 1700 rpm sporadically. then all of a sudden as i was pulling into a parking lot it just died! i tried a few times to get it to turn over but no go. i let it sit for a few minutes and it finally turned over but idled roughly and eventually died again. i turned it over again and just put my foot on the gas to see if it would die at higher rpm's but it didn't. luckily i wasn't too far from home so i made it home ok but i kept the rpm's up at stop lights in case. any ideas? thanks all!

*(i've got a '93 zj with the I6 at 105k miles)

papashango is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-05-2005, 09:08 PM   #2
jeepholic

First guess fuel pump.
Second guess cap and rotor coil
third pull codes.

94 I6 ZJ at 4", 33's and front locker and 4.11 gears. Swampy Bypass.
[B]Black Jeep Club Member Ver. 2 #51[/B]
jeepholic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-05-2005, 09:22 PM   #3
oct7brian
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Sounds like a fuel pump to me

2002 Jeep Liberty Sport 4x4 3.7L Auto

1998 TJ 4.0 Auto Sahara Package 4" Suspension Lift 33 BFG Hard & Soft Top
oct7brian is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-05-2005, 10:17 PM   #4
BlaineWasHere
BecauseRacecar

I had the fuel pump go out to my 94 ZJ... That almost exact thing happened to me... but I was driving down the highway when it quit...
Unread 01-06-2005, 08:34 AM   #5
Texas ZJ1
Jeep Jedi Master

1994 ZJ 

It was my ignition coil that killed mine.

Hunter

94 5.9 Laredo 6.5 RE lift with 35 Maxxis Bighorns
and 33 Bridgestone Duelers
Detroit and true trac
Red Jeep Club Member
REDNECK JCM
Texas Jeep Owner #6
USN Jeep Club #4
http://www.kevinsoffroad.com/

For your performance needs:

kolak@kolakperformance.com
Texas ZJ1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-06-2005, 10:29 AM   #6
oct7brian
1998 TJ Wrangler 

As for the fuel pump dont forget the connection to it. Depending on where you are lcoated if you had rain recently. Where I am its been raining cats and dogs and well I'd say the moisture in the plug could cause some problem. Just a cheap thing to check

2002 Jeep Liberty Sport 4x4 3.7L Auto

1998 TJ 4.0 Auto Sahara Package 4" Suspension Lift 33 BFG Hard & Soft Top
oct7brian is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-06-2005, 10:35 AM   #7
driabyor
1994 ZJ 

go to the back of the jeep and get to where you can hear the pump... then have someone turn the key on... you should be able to hear the pump running for a few seconds...... if not then unplug and check for voltage to the pump...
driabyor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-06-2005, 10:37 AM   #8
driabyor
1994 ZJ 

whoops if you have power at the plug then your pump is shot
Unread 01-06-2005, 11:19 AM   #9
greasefingers
1994 ZJ 

You definitely have spark, so itís fuel related. Confirm that your fuel filter has been replaced within a year, first. But the real test is to measure the fuel pressure at the rail. Unfortunately not many people have a fuel pressure gage and correct shreader valve connector (not sure of spelling), lying around in their tool collection.

94 Black Laredo 4-Liter with QuadraTrac (42RE trans & NP249 TC) 200,000 + miles purchased new

88 Cherokee 2-door with 5speed manual 139K miles(deceased) purchased new
greasefingers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-06-2005, 01:16 PM   #10
papashango

Quote:
Originally Posted by greasefingers
You definitely have spark, so itís fuel related. Confirm that your fuel filter has been replaced within a year, first. But the real test is to measure the fuel pressure at the rail. Unfortunately not many people have a fuel pressure gage and correct shreader valve connector (not sure of spelling), lying around in their tool collection.
update for everyone! it has been very cold here in colorado springs lately and i took it to the dealership and they told me that the fuel pump was only putting out about 20 - 25 psi but after an hour or so in the warm shop it had risen to about 40 psi. they believe it to be a shot fuel pump and said the fuel filter needed to be replaced as well. can anyone tell me how easy/hard it is to do an R&R on these two? thanks again for all the help everyone!
papashango is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-06-2005, 01:59 PM   #11
greasefingers
1994 ZJ 

If you have never replaced a fuel filter, then replacing a fuel pump is certainly out of the question, especially in cold weather. Here are instruction for the pump.

My fuel pump quit last winter, in my 94 ZJ. I had to hacksaw the gas tank hanger bolts off, because NJ spreads a lot of salt on the roads. I paid $ 309 for the pump at a local parts store.
1- Test the hanger nuts for removal. If they need to be sawed off due to rust from winter salt, then buy two new bolts & nuts first at the Dealer before proceeding.
2- Hand-pump the gas out of the tank.
3- Jack the rear up a little for better access when dropping the tank
4- Disconnect the gas fill & vent line from under the rear driverís side fender.
5- Support bottom of gas tank with a jack
6- Remove gas tank hanger bolts. I used a hacksaw blade in my hand with a glove. There is no room to saw with the hacksaw blade in its frame/holder.
7- Disconnect electrical harness.
8- Remove the three gas lines going to the tank near the filter, because you do not want any gas vapors while sawing the hanger bolts. Drop tank, remove crappy pump & completely wipe in inwards out with several rags & use some gas to clean it even more. Spend as much time as it takes to clean the tank. Very important.

94 Black Laredo 4-Liter with QuadraTrac (42RE trans & NP249 TC) 200,000 + miles purchased new

88 Cherokee 2-door with 5speed manual 139K miles(deceased) purchased new
greasefingers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-06-2005, 03:25 PM   #12
driabyor
1994 ZJ 

you can do it your self and save a couple of grand

the pumps are around 300 bucks at parts store so you can double or triple that for a stealership pump... then tack on another grand for the shop labor ,,,, thats only a guestimation

i replaced mine a couple years ago and it not a difficult task, but outside in the winter that may suck a bit...

might check around to see if you have a do it yourself garage in your area .. we used to have one here years ago it even had tools to use
Unread 01-06-2005, 04:31 PM   #13
jeepholic

GO SWAMPY!
http://home.bellsouth.net/p/s/commun...geid=83942&ck=

Unread 01-06-2005, 04:54 PM   #14
kentman
2006 XK Commander 

I had the stealership do this one for me. It cost me $580 out the door. At the time, I thought that this was high. After seeing the price of the pump, I realized that it was not so bad. I like the swampy route. I may try that if I get up to 270K (double the mileage of the last pump failure).

I used to work for a fuel pump manufacturer. Had I know, I should have borrowed a few off of the line for future modifications.

I think that you can also add a pump in the line between the tank and engine. This would help if it fails again in the future. You can also use a less expensive pump that is probably more powerful.

It is just a thought.

Kent
kentman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-06-2005, 05:06 PM   #15
jeepholic

Even if you don't go the swampy route, you can still cut a hole in the floor, if you don't mind and change it whenever it breaks in about 5 minutes, I have the trailer package and all that has to come off to get to the gastank, my rear floor is covered in rubber and it would never be seen.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.