ZJ: DEAFENING bearing noise, but only on accel! help! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > ZJ: DEAFENING bearing noise, but only on accel! help!

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 04-01-2009, 08:05 AM   #1
aaron7
1998 ZJ 

ZJ: DEAFENING bearing noise, but only on accel! help!

Ok. This one has me stumped.

I have a noise coming from the front end that sounds kinda like a wheel bearing... but it isn't; as I replaced both.

On the highway the sound is literally deafening. I can't hear the engine, wind noise, or my passengers.

Here's the weird part... the sound is only when I'm on the gas or braking. If I coast... it's silent!

WHAT IS IT??? I can't take it much longer!!

81 CX500 - next victim...
aaron7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-01-2009, 10:13 AM   #2
Eldoradoman
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron7 View Post
Ok. This one has me stumped.

I have a noise coming from the front end that sounds kinda like a wheel bearing... but it isn't; as I replaced both.

On the highway the sound is literally deafening. I can't hear the engine, wind noise, or my passengers.

Here's the weird part... the sound is only when I'm on the gas or braking. If I coast... it's silent!

WHAT IS IT??? I can't take it much longer!!
Check the diff fluid level, front & rear, plus the transfer case.
Unread 04-01-2009, 10:14 AM   #3
chris_nm1
1998 ZJ 

Do you have a vibe with the noise? If so it is the same problem many of us here are experiencing. I just rebuilt my front diff this past weekend and it still did not take care of the problem.
3" Teraflex Lift
Terflex Quick Disconnects
31x10.5x15 BFG A/T KO
chris_nm1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-01-2009, 10:29 AM   #4
tirus89
1993 ZJ 

Sounds like the pinion bearing. I got the same deal, except the breaking part.

//93 ZJ//5.2L//NP249//K&N Fipk Gen II//2" BB w/BD AT Shocks//4.10's//31" Cooper Discovery STT's//Cstm Frnt Bmpr//Custom Rear Tube Bmpr//3" Magnaflow exhaust w/high flow cat//500RMS Pioneer Amp//600RMS 12" JL Audio Sub//
tirus89 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-01-2009, 11:53 AM   #5
eshew
1993 ZJ 

Yeah when my pinion bearing went out it was loud as hell. I think I spent about $400 fixing it. If you have a U-pull it nearby you may want to look into swapping out for a used front axle, could be cheaper in the long run... or now might be a good time to regear since you basically are going through the cost of gear setup in the front.
eshew is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-01-2009, 12:47 PM   #6
aaron7
1998 ZJ 

Ok, that's what I thought.

Time to put the HP D30 in there I guess haha
Unread 04-02-2009, 04:22 PM   #7
aaron7
1998 ZJ 

Took this pic today while removing my driveshaft.

Who can spot why my bearing failed? Anyone?

Unread 04-02-2009, 04:26 PM   #8
Virmagicus
Headed Out West

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron7 View Post

Who can spot why my bearing failed? Anyone?

Do we have to ?
Virmagicus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.