ZJ Dana 44 shot - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > ZJ Dana 44 shot

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 04-01-2008, 10:12 PM   #1
dacecil

ZJ Dana 44 shot

I just purchased a 98 ZJ Laredo V-8. The rear end was making noise so I opened it up and it was spitting out chunks of clutch pack. I purchased a new center section and am going to install it.

It is a 3.73 Trac Loc. What is the secret to installing it and setting it up? I have heard much talk around town about how this is not a job for an amateur, but I would like some other opinions from here.

Thanks for you help.

Dale

dacecil is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-01-2008, 10:22 PM   #2
jdubbs107
1995 ZJ 

first off, that's bs, if you don't learn now, when will you learn right? there's nothing fun about paying someone else to do to your jeep what you could do yourself
jdubbs107 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-01-2008, 10:24 PM   #3
dacecil

I agree jdubbs, that's why I'm asking around here. So what are the closely held secrets to this task?

Thanks
dacecil is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-01-2008, 10:24 PM   #4
5.9 ANDY
zj tractor

1998 ZJ 

make shure you get the gear back lash tool, cuse if this is done wrong you will drive down the street and your gears will prety much blow up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shift_grind View Post
It's threads like this that make me wonder why people lift there jeeps
its comments like this that make me wonder why some people are jerks.

build thread:http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/...ndard-1056365/
5.9 ANDY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-01-2008, 10:24 PM   #5
Virmagicus
Headed Out West

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdubbs107 View Post
first off, that's bs, if you don't learn now, when will you learn right? there's nothing fun about paying someone else to do to your jeep what you could do yourself

well then enlighten us with your wisdom differential master.
Virmagicus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-01-2008, 11:02 PM   #6
CLNinja
1993 ZJ 

ok... im all for doing things yourself

i installed 2 different lifts on my jeep myself (2.25BB and UC springs...then later on a 4.5" RE )
i (not entirely myself, ok Jim and Josh did most of it...lol ) installed my TC and swapped the input shafts
anything else that needs done to the Jeep i do myself

but gears is something i will never touch.... i leave that to the professionals
[color="#003300"]Matt[/COLOR]
[color="white"][CENTER][size="1"]
[url="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=434081"][color="white"]Click Here For My Build Thread[/COLOR][/url]
[/COLOR][/SIZE][B]**September 2009 Grand Cherokee Of The Month**[/B]
[SIZE="2"][url="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=123"][color="white"]Colorado Jeep Club Member #88[/COLOR][/url][/SIZE][/CENTER]
CLNinja is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-02-2008, 06:04 AM   #7
Colorado 5.9
1998 ZJ 

So you bought a whole new trac-lok? You didn't have to. All's you needed was a new cluch pack. Only about a $100 & you don't have to worry about setting anything up like gear pattern or back lash & stuff like that. The carrier still has to come out to change the cluch pack. You just throw it back in after changing the cluch pack & bolt everything back up.

If a shop does it it's a whole lot cheaper!
ZJ 98 5.9 LTD. Lots of mods. 7" T&T's Long Arm Lift ,BFG KM2"s,35X12.50x16's,4:56's, Vanco brake upgrade, M1intake,Holley52mmTB,MikeLeach Headers,, Arb'ed HP D30,Aussie Locked rear,Procomp MX6 Shocks,Arb front,RearTR bumpers,ECT.ECT.

Latest Pics
Colorado 5.9 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-02-2008, 08:31 AM   #8
jdubbs107
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLNinja View Post
ok... im all for doing things yourself

i installed 2 different lifts on my jeep myself (2.25BB and UC springs...then later on a 4.5" RE )
i (not entirely myself, ok Jim and Josh did most of it...lol ) installed my TC and swapped the input shafts
anything else that needs done to the Jeep i do myself

but gears is something i will never touch.... i leave that to the professionals
well if that's the case, which sounds logical enough, i semi revoke my statement
jdubbs107 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-02-2008, 08:32 AM   #9
BLACKzj52
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado 5.9 View Post
So you bought a whole new trac-lok? You didn't have to. All's you needed was a new cluch pack. Only about a $100 & you don't have to worry about setting anything up like gear pattern or back lash & stuff like that. The carrier still has to come out to change the cluch pack. You just throw it back in after changing the cluch pack & bolt everything back up.

If a shop does it it's a whole lot cheaper!
the clutch packs are $43 from kolak
My Build Thead
Facebook
Senior at The Ohio State University
BLACKzj52 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-02-2008, 09:12 AM   #10
HighLonesome
Belief In All Things Jeep

1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by virmagicus View Post
well then enlighten us with your wisdom differential master.

Even my bud who has done diffs before and was a mechanic in his younger day is paying to have his done on his Olds 442. He found a guy who is reasonable and does good work. It's a big bear of a job and he'd rather spend the time with his kids.
HighLonesome is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-02-2008, 10:15 AM   #11
ajmorell

Yeah gears/diff work are one thing where you really have to know what you're doing....one mistake and all the money you spent on the new parts is out the window and you gotta do it again-gears and diff work aren't nearly as forgiving as most of the other stuff you can do yourself.
ajmorell is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.