ZJ cummins swap?! - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > ZJ cummins swap?!

New Vendor - ARTEC Industries Battery MountsDana 30 Truss for your TJ, LJ, ZJ, and XJIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 07-22-2013, 02:20 AM   #16
Timo_90xj
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Location: Helsinki, Finland - on the European side of the Atlantic
Quote:
Originally Posted by gingerbreadman1 View Post
ok i want to do a cummins swap in the near future (after i get a job) ...

i dont know what i need to change in order to support the new engine and the torque. i want to change my front no matter what because its the 3 piece and i want to jump this girl without snapping an axle. just throw out some ideas if u can.
You have to change almost everything. ..and plate the uniframe from front to back, etc...

Why exactly Cummins 4bt? As much as it is a good engine, it's a big, heavy piece of equipment. If you can find one, get a 6- cylinder Merc. diesel from the early- to mid- 80s. Those engines aren't much different from the stock 4.0 I6 in size/ weight, but can be built to reliably produce you well over 200hp/ 300lbs/ ft. at the rear wheels and give you 30mpg any day. Those engines last 500k miles+ in stock form, they are literally bullet-proof. I've seen swaps done into MJs and XJs.. I guess the biggest problem across there is the limited availability though.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/d...s-etc-1222317/

1990 XJ Limited (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, ***rolled and totalled @ 165k miles***

***Under construction***
1990 XJ (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, PBR 42" tires, Unimog 404 portal axles, 110" WB, full cage + uniframe completely rebuilt, front 3-link + panhard / double triangulated 4-link rear,... ***SOLD***
Timo_90xj is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.