ZJ Condenser, do I need to replace? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > ZJ Condenser, do I need to replace?

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!2007 - 2011 Jeep JK Long Arm Lift KitsIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 08-25-2014, 11:10 AM   #1
vatrader
1998 ZJ 

ZJ Condenser, do I need to replace?

I am in the process of replacing the Evaporator core, Heater Core, Accumulator, Compresser, the Liquid Line and the Discharge line on my 98 ZJ. The Evap had a leak and I hadn't used the AC for 4 yrs or so. Question, do I have to replace the condenser also? If not, can I just flush the old condenser separately (How do I do that.) Also, since I can't expose the new parts to moisture or air, is there a certain sequence to installing the parts. The new compresser requires that I flush the system, anybody know how to do that and what tools I need to do that. Does it get flushed with the new compresser installed? I'm a bit unsure about this. think I've confused myself. Many thanks to all.

vatrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2014, 11:20 AM   #2
firsttimeZJ13
1995 ZJ 

I would replace it if you have everything apart. I wouldn't want to undo the system in 2 yrs when it goes out. As for the rest, there's a lot to do. If you've never done it before, I would find someone to either be there to help or do it for you. There's some specialty tools you need like a vacuum for the system, collector for the refrigerant, etc.. Either way, good luck with it!
Unread 08-25-2014, 11:45 AM   #3
jeepjeepster

It may be completely different, but when a compressor went bad in our house unit they flushed it all out with nitrogen.

You can replace everything yourself on the system if you like. After you get most of it back together you could find a good shop (if they exist in your area, they don't in mine) to vacuum the system then fill it up with refrigerant. Its possible they may have a way to flush it out before hand.

You may also want to wait to put the accumulator in till you call some shops. That piece shouldn't be left laying around opened up. It absorbs moisture from the system and needs to be kept sealed up still the system is ready to be closed up.
jeepjeepster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2014, 12:34 PM   #4
zjosh93
1993 ZJ 

If you are replacing all the lines (you say discharge and liquid and the suction line is part of the accumulator assembly) and hard parts you don't need to flush anything. Flush is a solvent you run down the old hoses to remove old oil and any debris. You can't usually flush the evaporator core or condenser because there's no way to blow all the flushing fluid out of the little nooks and crannies. I'd replace the condenser.

A little time exposed to air won't hurt most of the parts. Install the accumulator/drier last and immediately pull a vacuum on the system. The vacuum removes all the air and water from the sealed system. Then you can charge it with refrigerant and go. Some shops only use compressed nitrogen to blow out AC parts because shop air usually has some water in it. Probably a good idea but not required.
zjosh93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2014, 01:10 PM   #5
vatrader
1998 ZJ 

Quick question Where is the HIgh port for the ac

I clearly see the Low Port on the liquid ac line near the firewall. But for the life of me, I have no idea where the high side port is on my ZJ. Anyone know, anyone have a pic of it? Thanks everybody.
Unread 08-25-2014, 01:16 PM   #6
firsttimeZJ13
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by vatrader
I clearly see the Low Port on the liquid ac line near the firewall. But for the life of me, I have no idea where the high side port is on my ZJ. Anyone know, anyone have a pic of it? Thanks everybody.
Mine is on the side of the compressor.
Unread 08-25-2014, 01:22 PM   #7
vatrader
1998 ZJ 

Evaporate AC

Do I evacuate the entire system from just the low side port, or do I also evacuate the high side, which is why I'm looking so hard for it.
Unread 08-25-2014, 01:27 PM   #8
vatrader
1998 ZJ 

There it is. Firsttime ZJ13

Yep, right where you said it was, on the side of the compressor. Let's hope my new Denso has the same port. You guys are golden, I am so grateful I found this forum, and everyone is so helpful. I hope when I get my dash back in, and this whole process complete, maybe I'll have some answers to help you all with.
Unread 08-25-2014, 01:32 PM   #9
vatrader
1998 ZJ 

Ac d

AC discharge line. Maybe I don't need to put on a new AC discharge line that comes out of the compressor and goes into the condenser then? If I can't flush the condenser, I guess the only choice then it o buy a new one to install. In that case, a new discharge line for sure. Then every part of the AC system will be new.

Wow, this is a bunch of work!!

I'm going to buy a vacuum pump and manifold gauges to do the AC work, so I'm reading everything I can find. If you have any suggestions for reading or utubing to help me learn the AC, I'd appreciate it. Many thanks.

And I'm pushing 70 years old, so you younger ones can do it too!
Unread 08-25-2014, 01:48 PM   #10
zjosh93
1993 ZJ 

If the AC just had a leak and none of the lines were open you probably are fine to just reuse the condenser but a new one only runs about $65-$70 so it's not much more to have *everything* brand new. As long as the system was in good shape all that's in the old condenser is clean oil. I'd replace all the hoses though. The liquid line contains the orifice tube which should always be replaced. The Suction line has the accumulator/drier so you are replacing that. The discharge line just runs from the compressor to the condenser but the rubber is old and probably starting to shrink so the crimped ends are losing compression and there will be leaks.
zjosh93 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.