ZJ Cluster Problem.. Lights but no gauge reading - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > ZJ Cluster Problem.. Lights but no gauge reading

Engo LED Flush Mount Lights *PAIR* Flood or Spot 1,600 LumYukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon ZipRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 03-08-2009, 12:44 PM   #1
Mudslinger97

ZJ Cluster Problem.. Lights but no gauge reading

97 GC. Clusters backlights work and ABS light still shows up (pulled ABS fuse), but gives no readings from speedo, tach, fuel, temp, batt, oil press. Occasionally they will come back on for a short time ( 2 seconds - 2 minutes max), but for the most part are always non-fuctioning. I had read previous posts about bending the pins on the back of the cluster, but this did not resolve. Is there another area to look for the problem? A loose harness? Or am I stuck scanning the miles of wire for a problem. Thanks Jeepers

Mudslinger97 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-09-2009, 05:09 PM   #2
Mudslinger97

additionally

Also, I want to add that the rear glass defrost does not work when the gauges are not functioning. It will work during the short spurts that the gauges are on though. Any advice would be great.
Mudslinger97 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-09-2009, 05:33 PM   #3
rooster51
1997 ZJ 

Sounds alot like a short grounding out or a loose connection. Either way, youll be tracing wires.
rooster51 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-09-2009, 07:40 PM   #4
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

Your chasing a violet wire that comes fro fuse 7 in the junction block (JB). It feeds the instrument cluster, data link connector, and body control module (which controls the rear window defrost) through C4 at the JB. When you lose power to instruments, check pin 16 of DLC for voltage. If it falters with the instruments, you most likely have a bad connection at the JB.

All the interior grounds are under the driver's seat. Good luck with that...

I hope you are good with a meter. This is the easy stuff. You really need a wiring diagram.
ZeeJay1997 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-10-2009, 05:51 AM   #5
586ZJ
1996 ZJ 

I have the exact same issue, except my rear defrost still works on my truck at all times, its just the gauges that are inop. They do light up though and have turned on a handful of times for 2-3 seconds max. I just use my GPS as a speedo and my overhead console to tell me when my fuel is getting low.
586ZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-13-2009, 10:03 PM   #6
falco84
1997 ZJ 

That sounds exactly like the instrument cluster from my 97 ZJ Same thing with the rear defroster lol.

Did you get it working by any chance??

I will be putting in a new cluster this week. Lets see what that does.
falco84 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.