ZJ Cluster Needle Refinishing - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > ZJ Cluster Needle Refinishing

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 02-18-2011, 07:23 AM   #16
Foundrydude
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDevil View Post
I belive needles aren't surposed to be removed at all. I've read somewhere that once you remove the needle from the speedometer, you can kiss it goodbye.

Ricers have made it socially acceptable to remove your gauge needles so fancy gauge faces with carbon fiber flames can be applied. People that care about gauge accuracy generally don't do it.

Then again, when you consider most OEM gauges are packed full of useful information like "L" and "H", is it really a big deal if the needle's 1/16" off?

Foundrydude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-18-2011, 10:38 AM   #17
wsar10
2003 WJ 

I did this as well....................

Another cheep little trick....... is to paint the gauge trim surround white, this is the thin black peace of ABS that sits on your gauge cluster and will come off with little effort.

Prime it and paint it white (spray paint) and when its all back together it looks sweet, with the fresh paint in the gauge needles and the white surround mixed with LED gauge lights its very clean and crisp and is very nice at night .

-03 WJ laredo 4.0 120k a few minor mods
-93 XJ 5spd, 3" zone lift
wsar10 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-18-2011, 10:42 AM   #18
wsar10
2003 WJ 

oh yeah and the ppl that are afraid to mess with there instrument panel, should really not condemn others for having a steady enough hand to work on there's..... to each his own.

I work with "small things" every day lol

I view it as an improvement in guage visibility, which makes my vehicle safer at night.

Unread 02-18-2011, 10:44 AM   #19
Dyn0mitemat
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsar10 View Post
I did this as well....................

Another cheep little trick....... is to paint the gauge trim surround white, this is the thin black peace of ABS that sits on your gauge cluster and will come off with little effort.

Prime it and paint it white (spray paint) and when its all back together it looks sweet, with the fresh paint in the gauge needles and the white surround mixed with LED gauge lights its very clean and crisp and is very nice at night .
Any pics?

And are you guys buying drop in led's, or just wiring them up yourself?

I was looking at my needles yesterday too, thinking about trying to paint them. I wonder if you did like said above, taking a playing card under the needle, and sandwich a paintbrush in between the two to paint the back of the needles.

hmm...
Dyn0mitemat is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-18-2011, 06:08 PM   #20
coralman
new wrangler prototype

1998 ZJ 

Wasn't condemning, was just saying it seemed to effect the dampning effect of the gauge.
coralman is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-21-2011, 08:11 AM   #21
wsar10
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyn0mitemat View Post
Any pics?

And are you guys buying drop in led's, or just wiring them up yourself?

I was looking at my needles yesterday too, thinking about trying to paint them. I wonder if you did like said above, taking a playing card under the needle, and sandwich a paintbrush in between the two to paint the back of the needles.

hmm...
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/...-98-zj-767865/
this link will give u all the info u need about LED replacement, they r drop in.
I am an electronics repair guy, I work with electronics at a component and circuit level everyday, with that being said TRUST ME WHEN I SAY, BUY THE DROP INS !!!!

as far as needles I used "amber" acrylic testers model paint, the same you would use to paint turn signal lights on a model car.

I'll work on pics tonight ....... its nothing special

Unread 02-21-2011, 08:13 AM   #22
wsar10
2003 WJ 

for some reason i cannot edit my post....................

but yes I laid an index card under my needles to paint, I DID NOT REMOVE THE NEEDLES. forget that s*** !

Unread 02-21-2011, 12:16 PM   #23
benspilk09
1997 ZJ 

It always bugged me having white needles in my zj, seems like everything else orange in these things turned white as well, like the shift indicator and the door lock indicators.
benspilk09 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-22-2011, 05:41 PM   #24
wsar10
2003 WJ 

the way JF makes you upload pics is f****** stupid so i guess i cant post pics......PM ur e-mail and I will email them to ya

Unread 02-22-2011, 07:49 PM   #25
AJB1985
1996 ZJ 

I also did this on my old 96 but i just went over the needles with an orange permanent marker and it came out awesome. sorry i have no pics and dont have it anymore
AJB1985 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-07-2011, 12:07 PM   #26
wsar10
2003 WJ 

yes I know this thread is a few weeks old, but I just now got my pic issue figured out;
but this is what my gauge bezel looks like painted white,
sorry about the quality.
photo0125.jpg   photo0126.jpg  

Unread 04-22-2011, 06:00 PM   #27
xxxxxxxxranger_1999
1998 ZJ 

any more pics? prefably some night shots without wobble?
xxxxxxxxranger_1999 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-29-2011, 11:37 PM   #28
EuroRash
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foundrydude View Post
Ricers have made it socially acceptable to remove your gauge needles so fancy gauge faces with carbon fiber flames can be applied. People that care about gauge accuracy generally don't do it.

Then again, when you consider most OEM gauges are packed full of useful information like "L" and "H", is it really a big deal if the needle's 1/16" off?
I'm not sure if you have to pull the needles off. Maybe you can pop the black plastic off the top of the needles base then remove the face plate off over the needle.

I haven't done a face plate change with my Jeep though when I had my first BMW I was able to slide aftermarket faceplates over the needles with no clearance issues or damage to the needles

On the ZJ, once you have the cluster out each gauge can be taken out separately (I know since I had to replace a bad speedo)

anyhow.. I figure if you can remove the gauges then maybe you can remove the face plate then have better access behind the needle to paint it

well just a thought and my 2 cents
Unread 11-13-2011, 07:42 PM   #29
theycallmesdz
1999 XJ Cherokee 

You could also try a translucent or candy paint.
theycallmesdz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.