ZJ Cluster Needle Refinishing - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > ZJ Cluster Needle Refinishing

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valuePremium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGNew For October! Flowmaster Black Ceramic Coated 304S Exha

Unread 02-15-2011, 01:23 PM   #1
csouers
1999 XJ Cherokee 

ZJ Cluster Needle Refinishing

Ever noticed faded gauge needles on your Jeep? We have two ZJs with this problem, so with the induction of our 5.9 into the family, I decided to do something about it.

The supplies:

The supplies I got from hobby lobby:
  • $12 to purchase supplies
  • "International Orange" Acryl paint
  • Flat Clear Coat Acryl
  • Little plastic model brushes (the smaller the better)

The paint mixture is 50/50. Mine was more of a 60 paint/40 clear, but it can vary. My mix wasn't perfect by any means.

Be sure to shake the bottles of paint as well as stir them. Stirring is EXTREMELY important, as the paint likes to clump together.

The setup is easy. The hardest part is getting the paint to look good and keeping everything clean. A small brush will make getting paint to the base of the needle without getting paint on the black. A steady hand and careful eye will make that easy.

The key is to take your time. Let 5-10 minutes go between coats. If not, you can end up pushing the semi-dried paint with the brush and making a raised area.

The procedure:
  1. Remove 4 screws (2 per side) from cluster. This will allow you to remove cluster from Jeep
  2. The cluster connector is fixed on both the dash and the cluster itself. Wiggle and pull the cluster gently and it should pop off without fuss.

Now the picture/writeup portion:

When painting, paint the top side, as well as the sides. the bottom will not be important and would also be uneconomical to paint.

What my cluster looked like after it was out. Notice the heavy fading in the needles?

The next 4 photos show the tabs that need to be pressed in, in order to release the clear plastic cover. These are NOT super tight, so be careful with them and you'll be fine. Those fine opposable thumbs will do the trick here.

Cover off and cluster exposed. BE CAREFUL with the needles. The last thing you want to do is break one of these in anyway. They are extremely easy to turn, so go easy on them

First layer of paint. You will likely need 2-3 coats on the larger needles, but this is all dependent on if you use any clear coat, as well as what color paint you go with. Cut up playing cards work great here. You can safely slide it underneath the base of the needle to hold the needle in place. I did so on the small needles and it worked great.

Dried and looking good. Mine, if you can see in the photos, have little bubbles and streaks, but from 3 feet away, they look MUCH MUCH better.

This is a good time to clean the front cover. It is likely that when you removed the cover, you got finger prints on the inside. In my case, the inside of the cover was covered in a thin layer of dirt. Some liquid dish soap and a sponge will do well here. Just don't use the abrasive side...

Installed and lights on.

If anyone has questions, please post them here. If anybody has picture requests, I can do those as well.

Enjoy your refreshed gauge cluster!

My Photography
csouers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-15-2011, 02:23 PM   #2
melk
1996 ZJ 

Haha, wow

cheers to a DIY project!

Edit: hmm a good time to put in LEDs.....
melk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-15-2011, 04:35 PM   #3
tcar
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by melk View Post
Edit: hmm a good time to put in LEDs.....
LED's? Why?
tcar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-15-2011, 06:34 PM   #4
MuddSlutt
2001 WJ 

nice project for a rainy day
Unread 02-16-2011, 02:54 AM   #5
Goumoun
1995 ZJ 

Same issue, thought about doing so as I did on my 60's cars, but I have a doubt. It seems when looking thru the lens that the orange color was applied only on the back side of the needle from factory.

Now that you done it, how does painting the upper side of the needle affects night illumination?
Unread 02-16-2011, 07:30 AM   #6
csouers
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goumoun View Post
Same issue, thought about doing so as I did on my 60's cars, but I have a doubt. It seems when looking thru the lens that the orange color was applied only on the back side of the needle from factory.

Now that you done it, how does painting the upper side of the needle affects night illumination?
I was thinking the same thing. The illumination is nowhere near what I'd like. It's simply too dark. If you REALLY wanted to do it right, you'd have to paint the back side of the needle. However, that require complete disassembly and is uneconomical for our purposes.

That being said, it's a huge upgrade in terms of looks. Definitely makes it look MUCH better.

I do not recommend this for a concourse-esque restoration.

My Photography
Unread 02-17-2011, 12:58 AM   #7
Goumoun
1995 ZJ 

IMHO to do it correctly implies removing the needles (making sure to be able to install them in the correct position). It also takes to remove completely the faded paint on the back of the 6 needles as painting over makes no sense.

A rainy week-end job including some risks of damage beyond repair.
Unread 02-17-2011, 01:22 AM   #8
RED-85-Z51
1993 ZJ 

Yeah I was thinkin the same thing, it looks like light comes in from the center and refracts out the needle, reflecting off the painted backing.

Id tend to think the needles would pop off with gently lifing pressure, question would be, realigning them in the exact same position...
RED-85-Z51 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-17-2011, 05:33 AM   #9
Goumoun
1995 ZJ 

On my Mustang 2008 I had to remove the 6 needles to install a new gauge face. When the ignition is turned to ON, engine cold, all the needles jump to a predefined position. All it takes is to record this position precisely, pre-install the needles with ignition ON, turn it off-on and recheck the needle position before pressing them fully on their shaft.

I just wonder if this work in a similar way on a ZJ however, may be someone who installed an aftermarket gauge face on a ZJ can say?
Unread 02-17-2011, 09:43 AM   #10
csouers
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I INTENTIONALLY did not remove the needles because of the risk of not getting them realigned properly.

Like I said, I do not recommend this for a full restoration. If I ever get a good spare cluster, I'll experiment with doing it "the right way".

**** like this is too fragile for my taste. Removing the needles, no thanks.

My Photography
Unread 02-17-2011, 10:10 AM   #11
Foundrydude
1995 ZJ 

I think a better paint choice would be an old, settled out can of paint. The kind where the bottom half is white and the top half is translucent orange. Don't stir before application.

You must have really nice jeeps if they're unbroken long enough that you wanna do projects like this!
Foundrydude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-17-2011, 11:05 AM   #12
csouers
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foundrydude View Post
You must have really nice jeeps if they're unbroken long enough that you wanna do projects like this!
Well, it works the other way around... We have Jeeps that are broken for long enough that we do this stuff.

My Photography
Unread 02-18-2011, 01:21 AM   #13
Goumoun
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by csouers View Post
Well, it works the other way around... We have Jeeps that are broken for long enough that we do this stuff.
So true...
Unread 02-18-2011, 02:27 AM   #14
BlueDevil
1995 ZJ 

I belive needles aren't surposed to be removed at all. I've read somewhere that once you remove the needle from the speedometer, you can kiss it goodbye.
Unread 02-18-2011, 03:47 AM   #15
coralman
new wrangler prototype

1998 ZJ 

I experimented with this months back on a jy speedo head fom a grand. You stand about 50/50 chance of whacking a guage or speed/rpm needle up. The mechanism is very delicate and the force required to seat the needle back on sometimes makes the "rotor" stick in the bearings. To paint just the underside of the needles you could use the playing cards to drag against the needle while having a small amount of paint spread on the card.

I decided the trouble wasn't worth it but they do look good in csouers pics.
coralman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.