ZJ clock spring, cruise control, windshield wiper ? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > ZJ clock spring, cruise control, windshield wiper ?

Poison spyder items @ oconee off road 706 534 9955Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-Load

Unread 04-08-2013, 01:54 PM   #1
Purcell69
1993 ZJ 

ZJ clock spring, cruise control, windshield wiper ?

I've been using our 1993 5 speed ZJ ever since Mom retired it. She bought it new and it has never been out of the family. Somewhere around 150k miles the cruise control stopped working, completely dead. The fuse is good so I just assumed it was the module. The other day on the XJ side, I read a post that suggested the clock spring was the cause for a non-op cruise control.

I have also been having issues with the windshield wipers. They work in slow mode or fast-delay only, most of the time. Occasionally all modes work normally. The multi function switch was replaced with no change.

Is it possible that the clock spring connection could relate to both issues? Where is it located and how do I service it?

Reliable Red has 259k miles so far with no indication of giving up. I would just like to fix these quirks.

-Joe

Purcell69 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-08-2013, 02:04 PM   #2
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

the wipers is bad solder joints in the pulse wiper module. there's a few write ups around here about repair for the early model zj's. the later model zj's have that module built into the motor.

the cruise could be a bad brake switch, bad switches on the wheel, or bad clock spring. does the cruise light come on? is the air bag light on?

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-08-2013, 02:26 PM   #3
Purcell69
1993 ZJ 

There is zero response from the Cruise. It appears completely DOA. The air bag light is not on, though I am fairly certain it lights up on start up with all the other check lamps.

Good to know info on the windshield wipers. I'm looking forward to finally having that fixed. I should have bought stock in Rain-X with the frequency in which I have kept it applied.

-Joe
Purcell69 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-08-2013, 04:40 PM   #4
Rich93ZJ
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratmonkey View Post
the wipers is bad solder joints in the pulse wiper module. there's a few write ups around here about repair for the early model zj's. the later model zj's have that module built into the motor.

the cruise could be a bad brake switch, bad switches on the wheel, or bad clock spring. does the cruise light come on? is the air bag light on?

Does the 93 model have a light for the cruise control? If it does, I have never seen it and mine works fine.
Rich93ZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-08-2013, 04:45 PM   #5
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

never seen a vehicle that didn't have a light. even my friend's 79 t-bird had a light for cruise.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-09-2013, 07:26 AM   #6
KoreaZJ
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich93ZJ View Post
Does the 93 model have a light for the cruise control? If it does, I have never seen it and mine works fine.
Started in 96 with cluster design change.
KoreaZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-09-2013, 07:48 AM   #7
AVR2
Web Wheeler
1993 ZJ 

Yep, 93-95 do not have a cruise light.
AVR2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-09-2013, 08:04 AM   #8
KoreaZJ
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purcell69 View Post
I've been using our 1993 5 speed ZJ ever since Mom retired it. She bought it new and it has never been out of the family. Somewhere around 150k miles the cruise control stopped working, completely dead. The fuse is good so I just assumed it was the module. The other day on the XJ side, I read a post that suggested the clock spring was the cause for a non-op cruise control.
Check Fuse#20 (10 amp) in Fuse Block located at passenger end of dash.

Check for proper clock spring continuity and cruise switch functionality...
  1. First disconnect the negative battery cable, turn key on, wait a few minutes for circuits to discharge
  2. Remove steering column lower shroud cover
  3. Remove the clock spring connector (white)
  4. Check continuity with an ohmmeter between Clock Spring Pins.....

Switch OFF
Pins 1 & 4 (YL/RD & WT/LG)

Switch ON
Pins 1 & 4 (YL/RD & WT/LG)
Pins 1 & 2 (YL/RD & BR/RD)
Pins 2 & 4 (BR/RD & WT/LG)

Switches ON and SET
Pins 1 & 2 (YL/RD & BR/RD)

Switches ON and RESUME
Pins 1 & 3 (YL/RD & WT/RD)

(wire colors listed are on connector side)

KoreaZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-09-2013, 11:53 AM   #9
ozzy_2_me
1994 ZJ 

first thing i would do is replace the brake switch. 8 times out ten it is the prob.
ozzy_2_me is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.