ZJ Cabin Air Filter With Fram Fresh Breeze Part # - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > ZJ Cabin Air Filter With Fram Fresh Breeze Part #

SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail ANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete

Unread 09-20-2012, 06:46 PM   #1
Turboron
1998 ZJ 

ZJ Cabin Air Filter With Fram Fresh Breeze Part #

I've looked at write ups on here for creating a cabin filter for the ZJ. One was more work that I wanted to put into it and the other was almost perfect except I wanted to use some type of filter with Charcoal in it. This is because sometimes even with the vent on recirculate I still get the smell of exhaust from my slightly cracked exhaust manifold. That's because after so many years the little bit of foam around the vent doors in the AC compartment lose their ability to seal and you still get outside air whether you want it or not. I found some part numbers for the Fresh Breeze filters that I thought might work really well because they looked like they stretched over all 3 vent openings in the cowl but when I got to the auto parts store they only had 3 of the filters in the whole place. Figures. So I got the one that looked like I could use. That part # is CF8921A.

When I got home I put the filter up against the two main air intakes that are behind the plastic screen in the cowl and found that the height was perfect but the width was just a hair too narrow so I put a strip of duct tape on each side of the those intakes overhanging just enough so when I put the filter up against it there will be no leaks. I also covered the small 3rd intake with duct tape completely since I didn't think that would kill the air flow too much.

Then I made a couple of brackets to put on each side of the filter and made new holes slightly higher than the existing ones that are there to help hold the top more securely since there's a curve horizontally as well as vertically on the ZJ. The curve doesn't allow a flat seal. Then I just screwed two screws in and tried it out.

This filter has foam around the outside of it and it makes a very tight seal on the top and bottom. As far as the sides it seems to seal pretty well there too. You can see that I bent the brackets in just a little too far and kinda pushed the filter in a little on each side but it does seal really well. I haven't tried it out yet to see how well it filters outside fumes but I will do that tonight or tomorrow and post my results.

Turboron is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2013, 07:05 AM   #2
e46fanatic
1998 ZJ 

That's pretty cool. Too bad the ZJ wasn't equipped with one from the factory :/
e46fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2013, 07:19 AM   #3
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

That area is where water drains when it rains and what not. If the filter gets wet it will be a great place for mold to grow. The filters I have seen on the newer vehicles are in the dash. Usually behind the glove box area.
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2013, 10:43 AM   #4
Timo_90xj
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Location: Helsinki, Finland - on the European side of the Atlantic
Quote:
Originally Posted by PolkaPower View Post
That area is where water drains when it rains and what not. If the filter gets wet it will be a great place for mold to grow. The filters I have seen on the newer vehicles are in the dash. Usually behind the glove box area.
..or the drainage is done in a place so that the air filter won't get wet. I've had a cabin air filter on a couple of my vehicles, all have been located in the cowl area for easy access/ replacement, but they've had a sort of a small sink and a drain at the bottom of it in front of the filter, so that it should never get wet.

I've been tossing around the idea on how to do a functioning cabin air intake filter, the plastic mesh is a joke. Driving in winter roads in all the dust the cabin and windshield gets dirty way too quickly.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/d...s-etc-1222317/

1990 XJ Limited (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, ***rolled and totalled @ 165k miles***

***Under construction***
1990 XJ (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, PBR 42" tires, Unimog 404 portal axles, 110" WB, full cage + uniframe completely rebuilt, front 3-link + panhard / double triangulated 4-link rear,... ***SOLD***
Timo_90xj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2013, 10:55 AM   #5
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

If anything I would cram a piece of foam in there and remove it often to rinse it out.
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-20-2013, 03:19 PM   #6
e46fanatic
1998 ZJ 

My other car has a cabin filter in this spot but I'll agree it is a little more protected from rain. I'm sure someone can find a way to make sure the filter won't get wet on the jeep.
e46fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-21-2013, 01:01 AM   #7
Turboron
1998 ZJ 

rain?

I'm in Phoenix. We don't worry about rain much around here. More like dust storms, hence the filter. LOL
Turboron is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-21-2013, 08:40 AM   #8
Timo_90xj
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Location: Helsinki, Finland - on the European side of the Atlantic
Quote:
Originally Posted by e46fanatic View Post
I'm sure someone can find a way to make sure the filter won't get wet on the jeep.
Drill a large enough hole in front of the filter at the bottom of the recess, use gasket sealer + piece of tube to route the water out of that area abnd out to the wheel well. Problem solved

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/d...s-etc-1222317/

1990 XJ Limited (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, ***rolled and totalled @ 165k miles***

***Under construction***
1990 XJ (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, PBR 42" tires, Unimog 404 portal axles, 110" WB, full cage + uniframe completely rebuilt, front 3-link + panhard / double triangulated 4-link rear,... ***SOLD***
Timo_90xj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-21-2013, 09:33 AM   #9
xcaliber81
1994 ZJ 

My 2008 dodge caliber is a base model and it had a spot for a filter behind the glove box. No filter from factory so I added one and man does it ever stay clean just gets linty now from clothes I guess.
Unread 09-21-2013, 09:55 AM   #10
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

Looks like a suitable solution for dry environments. Would never work here in Bamazon. There would be a mold monster blocking the windshield in about 6 months.
ZeeJay1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-21-2013, 01:39 PM   #11
swirv
1997 ZJ 

Me, too

I also want to put a cabin air filter in. I looked into it the other day while cleaning up the ZombieJeep. I have some open cell foam I may make a filter out of.

I think the foam would stand up to getting wet better than a paper filter.

I have seen that green foam filter inside behind the glove box. How the hell do you get to that bugger? I thought 'hey I'll just pull the glove box out and... uh no.' The glove box is riveted to the dash. Four screws and two rivets.

There must be a way to get to that filter and the other bits of the AC blower without pulling the entire dash.

View of the newly cleaned cowl.

I live in South Carolina. There was some funky junk in there before I cleaned it.
Not the first time I've had to clean out stuff that was growing in the Jeep. I'll save that for another post.

swirv
swirv is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.