ZJ cabin air filter - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > ZJ cabin air filter

XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Vanco Big Brake Kit Promotion!

Unread 03-13-2012, 10:09 PM   #1
4Slow9erHybrid
1997 ZJ 

ZJ cabin air filter

Because our ZJs have just a very poor screen at the cabin air inlet, all sorts of debris gets to the evaporator core and it rots out with time. Mine was no exception. So I decided to retrofit a proper cabin air filter.

I started with a WJ cabin filter housing and modified it to fit my ZJ.

The area where the housing mounts to is pretty flat on the WJ, but on ZJ it's curved. There's also less room there, so I had to shorten the housing:

Redid the cut-off side:

Next I made the back surface from fiber glass cloth and resin. First I glued the precut cloth to all 4 sides with the resin and let it set. Sorry, no pic. Next I covered the firewall with masking tape and attached aluminum foil to it with double sticky tape, sprayed with WD 40 (to be able to separate the resin once it sets). Stuffed some aluminum foil to the other side of the cloth, WD40 and bunch of foam.

After release:

1997 JGC Laredo 4.0 4x4 99900mi * 0W30 German Castrol since 75k * 225/75/R15 Firestone Destination AT on Ravine rims * winter 235/75/R15 Bridgestone Blizzak DM-V1 * UC suspension * Monroe Reflex Monotube shocks * factory skids * KOR steering brace * rear Addco SB * Magnaflow cat and cat back system * complete 5.9 interior
4Slow9erHybrid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-13-2012, 10:22 PM   #2
4Slow9erHybrid
1997 ZJ 

Added another layer of fiberglass cloth, let it set and then a layer of resin to both sides. Traced the hole outlines onto the fiberglass and cut them out with a dremel. Here is the finished housing:

Just for cosmetics, sprayed it with some black paint.
Next is the final installation, used a GENEROUS amount of RTV and had to plug a bunch of holes (circled with red) with duck tape and RTV.

Filter in place:

All finished:

Had to grind away a section of the cowl for the housing to fit here:

I'm happy with the result. The air flow did not change at all, but it's much quieter in the cabin.
1997 JGC Laredo 4.0 4x4 99900mi * 0W30 German Castrol since 75k * 225/75/R15 Firestone Destination AT on Ravine rims * winter 235/75/R15 Bridgestone Blizzak DM-V1 * UC suspension * Monroe Reflex Monotube shocks * factory skids * KOR steering brace * rear Addco SB * Magnaflow cat and cat back system * complete 5.9 interior
Unread 03-26-2012, 06:03 AM   #3
Ghaniba
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Awesome work, I love it!

Dave
Ghaniba is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-26-2012, 11:26 AM   #4
sebian
1995 ZJ 

Subscribed so I can find it later

List of parts not replaced yet:
sebian is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-26-2012, 11:30 AM   #5
torchd
1998 ZJ 

Looks nice. How much was the cabin air filter?

[b][color=red]2002 Trans Am[/b][/color]
Cam, Full Exhaust, Stock Heads, Stock LS6 Intake and Stock 10 bolt with 3.42s
[b]420 RWHP and 382 RWHTQ[/b]
torchd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-26-2012, 11:43 AM   #6
4Slow9erHybrid
1997 ZJ 

Thanks guys. I bought the housing and filter kit for $28.25 from filterheads.com

http://www.filterheads.com/product/single/AQ1097KIT

However, I'd suggest to buy just the housing from them ($21.50):

http://www.filterheads.com/product/single/82208300

Their filter is just a dust filter, while you can buy a Fram FreshBreeze filter which also gets rid of odors (activated carbon and baking soda). I'll get a FreshBreeze when it's time to replace the filter.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.