Zj brake upgrade? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Zj brake upgrade?

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 04-19-2014, 02:11 AM   #1
Thomahawk
JEEP ADDICTED

2004 WJ 

Zj brake upgrade?

Hi, what upgrades Are guys doing,
I feel lack of brsking power after going up to 31" tires, and have some akebono WJ calipers around,,,

Will they fit?
Will it be an upgrade?
What else do you guys recomend?

R.I.P. 2000 Grand Cherokee Limited, 4.7 V8, Quadradrive, Shale Green Metallic, Agate/Carbon interior, Well modded and highly missed :(

Buildthread http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/...grade-1813490/

MONEY WILL CONTINUE TO BE THROWN INTO THE RIG UNTIL CONDITION AND SATISFACTION IMPROVES!!!
Thomahawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2014, 05:16 AM   #2
Timo_90xj
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Location: Helsinki, Finland - on the European side of the Atlantic
WJ calipers need WJ knuckles and steering parts, and may need slight modifications to trackbar mount, hub-to-knukcle 1/4" spacer, some other small things. Look for "WJ knuckle swap", and you'll find polenty of info on this forum/ google.

WJ knuckle & brake swap including steering has been the single best mod onmy niner. There is a MAJOR difference in stopping power, and the WJ cross- over steering is also a big improvement over the ZJ/XJ/MJ/TJ inverted-y crap. Well worth the effort IMO. I spent total of about 700 on my swap, including remanufactured calipers & brackets, knuckles glass-bead cleaned & powder coated, new rotors & pads, new Moog TREs + custom draglink + trackbar. I built the steering OTK and built custom trackbar mount and used JKS DIY trackbar in the front. Running UTK it's a bit easier.

I've got some pictures on my niner build thread.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/d...s-etc-1222317/

1990 XJ Limited (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, ***rolled and totalled @ 165k miles***

***Under construction***
1990 XJ (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, PBR 42" tires, Unimog 404 portal axles, 110" WB, full cage + uniframe completely rebuilt, front 3-link + panhard / double triangulated 4-link rear,... ***SOLD***
Timo_90xj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2014, 09:43 AM   #3
CatSplat
Derp.

1994 ZJ 

Some guys have left the steering UTK, so you don't have to relocate the track bar or sway bar links but your tie rod will hang lower.

Unread 04-19-2014, 09:54 AM   #4
Hawkeye01

1997 ZJ 

I upgraded mine to the EBC slotted and dimpled rotors front and back and went with the yellow stuff pads up front with the green stuff in the rear. It's like day and night difference from the stock brakes. It was easy to replace and no mods were needed.
Unread 04-19-2014, 10:34 AM   #5
riot1987
1997 ZJ 

Location: In your attic, with the squirrels and wrapping paper
I was really curious as to how those EBC's worked. Youre pretty happy with them eh? For what you pay they better stop you!

OP Ive heard that later model Akenbono calipers are the way to go for the swap. Dual pistons up front is a hell of an upgrade over stock

Build thread^^
riot1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2014, 10:54 AM   #6
Hawkeye01

1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by riot1987 View Post
I was really curious as to how those EBC's worked. Youre pretty happy with them eh? For what you pay they better stop you!

OP Ive heard that later model Akenbono calipers are the way to go for the swap. Dual pistons up front is a hell of an upgrade over stock
Yes I'm very happy with them. I originally chose these because I used to tow my boat that weighed close to 4000lb including the trailer. I was a big upgrade from the stock and there was no mods that were needed.
Unread 04-19-2014, 12:08 PM   #7
Thomahawk
JEEP ADDICTED

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timo_90xj
WJ calipers need WJ knuckles and steering parts, and may need slight modifications to trackbar mount, hub-to-knukcle 1/4" spacer, some other small things. Look for "WJ knuckle swap", and you'll find polenty of info on this forum/ google. WJ knuckle & brake swap including steering has been the single best mod onmy niner. There is a MAJOR difference in stopping power, and the WJ cross- over steering is also a big improvement over the ZJ/XJ/MJ/TJ inverted-y crap. Well worth the effort IMO. I spent total of about 700€ on my swap, including remanufactured calipers & brackets, knuckles glass-bead cleaned & powder coated, new rotors & pads, new Moog TREs + custom draglink + trackbar. I built the steering OTK and built custom trackbar mount and used JKS DIY trackbar in the front. Running UTK it's a bit easier. I've got some pictures on my niner build thread.
Thx a ton Timo, excactly what i needed to know, its for my friend, i will Ask him how far he want to Go with this,,,

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatSplat
Some guys have left the steering UTK, so you don't have to relocate the track bar or sway bar links but your tie rod will hang lower.
Great pic, highly apriciated, thx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye01
I upgraded mine to the EBC slotted and dimpled rotors front and back and went with the yellow stuff pads up front with the green stuff in the rear. It's like day and night difference from the stock brakes. It was easy to replace and no mods were needed.
I have great expirience with EBC shhhh, i use it on my bike
My WJ will have Stillen/Black matrix brakes soon.
R.I.P. 2000 Grand Cherokee Limited, 4.7 V8, Quadradrive, Shale Green Metallic, Agate/Carbon interior, Well modded and highly missed :(

Buildthread http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/...grade-1813490/

MONEY WILL CONTINUE TO BE THROWN INTO THE RIG UNTIL CONDITION AND SATISFACTION IMPROVES!!!
Thomahawk is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.