zj brake pipes - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > zj brake pipes

SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!NEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WDTeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!

Unread 06-30-2011, 03:19 AM   #1
chrisod
1997 ZJ 

zj brake pipes

I need to replace the brake pipe that runs along the underside of the zj to supply the rear brakes as it has a leak. The existing pipe is steel and has a coiled winding around it. I'm in the UK and can not find this part locally. My Haynes manual says not to use copper pipe. Anyone know the reason as I was going to buy a flaring tool and use copper which is commonly used here. If anyone is in the UK and has a solution I would be grateful. Also, does anyone know the fitting sizes ?
Cheers, Chris

chrisod is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2011, 04:26 AM   #2
Technohead
Old School

1998 ZJ 

You will not find an off-the-shelf replacement. Copper is not strong enough to withstand the pressure. You need steel brake line. I prefer the type with polymer coating. You should be able to source from auto parts store in various lengths and then bend them to fit. Note that a single flare is not sufficient. You need a double flare. I just replaced all the brake lines on mine and they used 3/8" fittings.

Cheers!
Technohead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2011, 06:45 AM   #3
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

Copper line on a 1520psi hydraulic system? Got a death wish?

Didn't need to have the coil around it. That just hides any kinks from the factory bends. Lol

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2011, 07:33 AM   #4
chrisod
1997 ZJ 

Steel it is !

Thanks for the response. I'll try to source some steel brake pipe and 3/8" fittings. Anyone know where to get them in the uk ? Ebay and Google not returning much.....
chrisod is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2011, 07:41 AM   #5
muddyjgc
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratmonkey View Post
Copper line on a 1520psi hydraulic system? Got a death wish?

Didn't need to have the coil around it. That just hides any kinks from the factory bends. Lol
The coiling is not there to hide the kinks and bends, its under the vehicle you can't see it. The coiling is there to protect the bake line (pipe) from any road debris that might get kicked up.
muddyjgc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2011, 01:58 PM   #6
leadfootny
1996 ZJ 

NAPA sells a coil of copper brake line. I used it since in upstate ny I would be redoing the steel lines every 2-3 years with all the salt. I've had the copper in for 2 years, approx 40K miles without a single problem. I would imagine as long as you are using copper alloys designed for brake line use, you would be fine. Either way, make sure to get a quality flare tool and bending tool. It will make your life so much easier.
leadfootny is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2011, 10:10 PM   #7
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

Copper can't be used as brake line here. You can get plated line though.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2011, 10:59 PM   #8
jnicewan
1995 ZJ 

The copper line you would see for brake lines is or should be an alloy (zinc/nickle probably). It is DOT approved and totally legal for use anywhere. There are many OEM's using this kind of line. Pure copper line is a big no-no, illegal and dumb to use, plus its going to be hard to come up with fittings/adapters and getting flares to take and seal.
jnicewan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake , line , pipe , uk

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.