(ZJ) Adding factory fog lights - how to - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > (ZJ) Adding factory fog lights - how to

6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!50 in light bar /A pillar mount less than 500 at JeepHut.cFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 06-29-2011, 11:41 PM   #46
zander21510
Lord of Retro Machines

1995 ZJ 

Yea I checked by the horns, under both sides....couldn't find a plug. Will check the relay plug tomorrow...its the one thing I forgot at the junk yard (well I also forgot my toolbox :...thats why I have to go back) so I will look at that tomorrow...and maybe try and pull the wiring from an old jeep.

zander21510 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-29-2011, 11:46 PM   #47
squazz
Web Wheeler
1993 ZJ 

Let me know how pulling that harness goes I thought about it but it seems a pita did you already get a headlight switch with the fog option if not I got an extra
squazz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-29-2011, 11:51 PM   #48
zander21510
Lord of Retro Machines

1995 ZJ 

Yea I got and installed the switch...I'll try and take the wiring out unless its terribly complicated....I also couldn't find the plug for the auto headlight sensor...that wiring looks too deeply integrated for me to pull...I want those blasted foglights! lol
Unread 06-29-2011, 11:54 PM   #49
zander21510
Lord of Retro Machines

1995 ZJ 

Oh and I already pulled foglights from the junkyard...I'm so close! I thought the wiring was included on all jeeps
Unread 06-30-2011, 10:07 AM   #50
blackzj
1998 ZJ 

how hard was it to pull the panel dimmer out? what auto headlight sensor?
blackzj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-30-2011, 11:18 AM   #51
zander21510
Lord of Retro Machines

1995 ZJ 

not that hard to pull (a lot of stuff already broken off/taken apart), hella hassle to install. I think part of the sterring wheel is supposed to come off to get that bezel out...may be diffrent on a 96 but I nearly cracked the thing in half trying to get it out :P. The auto headlight sensor that is in the dash that some ZJ's came with, most switches with fog lights have an option for auto headlights, but you need the sensor
Unread 06-30-2011, 12:52 PM   #52
squazz
Web Wheeler
1993 ZJ 

The plug.for the autosensor is under the dash pad close to where the tweeterspeaker plugs are on driver side the sensor is a blue disk that hooks to the defroster vent grill
Unread 06-30-2011, 01:14 PM   #53
zander21510
Lord of Retro Machines

1995 ZJ 

Well after searching for maybe the 10th time today, I came to the conclusion that my Laredo is one of the few that never came with the fog light plug or the auto headlight sensor plug. Like you said the relay plug didn't have any metal contacts in it, and I gave up on the auto headlight sensor a while back. So basically I wasted a bunch of time and a little money installing that auto headlight/fog light switch..and I'm not going to take it out anytime soon considering the horrible time I had taking it out/installing it in the first place...live and learn I suppose.
Unread 06-30-2011, 01:28 PM   #54
speedbucket
1993 ZJ 

toggle switch is your friend
Unread 06-30-2011, 02:53 PM   #55
zander21510
Lord of Retro Machines

1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedbucket View Post
toggle switch is your friend
ha if I do end up putting fog lights on it, they won't be factory and I will install a toggle switch
Unread 06-30-2011, 03:08 PM   #56
airwolf9090
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by squazz View Post
Let me know how pulling that harness goes I thought about it but it seems a pita did you already get a headlight switch with the fog option if not I got an extra
If he don't need it i sure could use it in my Orvis! My dimmer has been messed up from day one and now its gotten so tweaked it switches the fog lights on and off by it's self and if i have it on auto when it starts messing up my headlights go off and on.... Damn slider contacts.
Unread 10-07-2011, 01:43 AM   #57
brettm28
1996 ZJ 

96 zj

Hi, im new to this whole jeepforum.com thing, but i have a 96 ZJ and it did not come with fog light and i want to add them on what all do i need to buy, besides the lights and bulbs and switch? when i have the switch were to i put it because my jeep dd not come that option so i dont see a place where i install the fog light switch? PLZ help me out!

Last edited by brettm28; 10-07-2011 at 01:55 AM..
brettm28 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-07-2011, 07:46 AM   #58
squazz
Web Wheeler
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brettm28 View Post
Hi, im new to this whole jeepforum.com thing, but i have a 96 ZJ and it did not come with fog light and i want to add them on what all do i need to buy, besides the lights and bulbs and switch? when i have the switch were to i put it because my jeep dd not come that option so i dont see a place where i install the fog light switch? PLZ help me out!
Welcom to the forum and thanks for using the search function. The switch will be a replacement for what is now the headlight switch to the left of the dash and your being a 96 everything else is on page one of this thread
Unread 10-07-2011, 10:54 AM   #59
canadiandiesel
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brettm28
I wonder if people actually talk like this in public and yes I agree the search function is well used in this persons case

Sent from my iPhone using technology
canadiandiesel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-09-2011, 09:11 PM   #60
brettm28
1996 ZJ 

When installing my fog lights whatshould i bolt the brackets on to?? The frame? or what so what should i use to cut the vents out of my bumper?
brettm28 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.