(ZJ) Adding factory fog lights - how to - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > (ZJ) Adding factory fog lights - how to

NEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WDROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail Ruffstuff XJ Unirail Channel Reinforcement....

Unread 03-06-2011, 05:48 PM   #16
steve L.
1997 ZJ 

I figured it was a cover cap as well, I just can't seem to get it off. Should I just cut that cap off?

A Little Taste of Jersey Wheelin Of A 1997 & 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee's For Your Enjoyment.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxa3-LJhz-Y
steve L. is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-06-2011, 06:13 PM   #17
poopsko

i remember it being tough, but i think i use channel locks and pulled on it while I lifted the tab up. It'll pull off, takes some effort though. If you find that youre plug ends on the truck dont match up then you'll be cutting em off anyways.
poopsko is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-06-2011, 06:23 PM   #18
steve L.
1997 ZJ 

well behind that cap is a black plug. And the ones on the lights are gray..I guess that means the guy I bought them off of sent me the wrong ones. . .

A Little Taste of Jersey Wheelin Of A 1997 & 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee's For Your Enjoyment.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxa3-LJhz-Y
steve L. is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-06-2011, 06:32 PM   #19
poopsko

well, I cant remember the colors on mine, may have been like youres. But I know for sure that they were different plug styles. I took mine off a Jeep in the junkyard, and the plugs did not match up to mine either.
I would just cut the plugs off , the ones on the Jeep and the ones on the fogs, use a butt connector and slip some heat shrink over the wires ( make sure you slip the heat shrink over first, and make sure the heat shrink will fit over the butt connector as well) Then you will have youre connection, as good as any waterproof install gets. If you need to change out the bulbs in the future then drop the light and do it, you'll have to remove them anyway to do so, you'll just not have plugs anymore. Who cares about plugs on something like that.
poopsko is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-29-2011, 10:59 PM   #20
98jeepzj
2002 TJ Wrangler 

i know this is an old thread but is there anyway of adding these lights to the stock harness on a seperate switch?
98jeepzj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-27-2011, 11:08 PM   #21
blackzj
1998 ZJ 

i know this is a old thread but thinking of doing fog lights to my zj. basically all i need is a relay, fog light, bracket, pig tail, and the switch to run them?? i checked the distribution center under the hood and there is a 20 amp fuse there do i need to upgrade it to a 30 amp or leave it at 20?
blackzj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-27-2011, 11:18 PM   #22
zander21510
Lord of Retro Machines

1995 ZJ 

Also thinking of adding factory fogs to my 95 ZJ...I know supposedly with pre 96 ZJs the fog light connector should be on the passenger side as just one plug that needs a Y adapter to split into two connections for the lights. Now I have yet to find this...where exactly is it? Also, I found two connections plugged into some little black box bolted to metal on each side..what the heck are these??
zander21510 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-27-2011, 11:37 PM   #23
-HH-Racer
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackzj
i know this is a old thread but thinking of doing fog lights to my zj. basically all i need is a relay, fog light, bracket, pig tail, and the switch to run them?? i checked the distribution center under the hood and there is a 20 amp fuse there do i need to upgrade it to a 30 amp or leave it at 20?
Mines a 20 aswell, and ive been wondering the same thing, i mounted my fog lights but i still need to wire them, its complicated for me
-HH-Racer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-27-2011, 11:46 PM   #24
blackzj
1998 ZJ 

what relay are you running? i dont know which one it is. i was also wondering that if the harnesses dont fit can you just cut them and splice the wires together? and the fog light switch in the dashboard how do you set that up
Unread 06-27-2011, 11:51 PM   #25
zander21510
Lord of Retro Machines

1995 ZJ 

if you want to use the factory harness you need a factory headlight/dimmer switch with foglight selection...as easy as that.
Unread 06-27-2011, 11:56 PM   #26
blackzj
1998 ZJ 

is there any wiring to it or what do i do to install the switch
Unread 06-28-2011, 12:01 AM   #27
zander21510
Lord of Retro Machines

1995 ZJ 

same plug as the basic switch, all you have to do is take the old one out and put the new one in
Unread 06-28-2011, 12:06 AM   #28
blackzj
1998 ZJ 

thats it? hmm ok this should be easy besides the harness part. what relay is it that you have to run?
Unread 06-28-2011, 12:08 AM   #29
zander21510
Lord of Retro Machines

1995 ZJ 

I haven't got that far yet lol. I'm going to the JY sometime this week to get the mounting brackets and all the wiring I need and that relay from a 95 so i know it works lol.
Unread 06-28-2011, 12:11 AM   #30
blackzj
1998 ZJ 

lol im prob gonna go pick everything up at the jy either this week or next week. lamps, brackets, pigtails, relay, switch and get it over with

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.