(ZJ) Adding factory fog lights - how to - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > (ZJ) Adding factory fog lights - how to

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Safety Thimble FairleadsEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 03-19-2006, 05:46 PM   #1
ZJunk

(ZJ) Adding factory fog lights - how to

There was a thread a while back where this was discussed and I said I would add photos, but w/ the search function down, I decided to start a new thread...

For adding factory fog lights to a non-fog light equipped ZJ, it's fairly simple.

First, you will need to look up under the front bumper to see if there are factory connectors for the fog lights. My understanding is that there generally are. This means you have the factory wiring ran.

Pass side:

Driver side:

You will need to add a relay for the fog lights. The relay is located behind the passenger side kick panel. You will need to remove the entire panel, not just the small fuse block panel.

The location of the relay is noted in the pic:

I have also taken a photo for reference of where the fog light fuse is under the hood.

The final thing you will need is a new headlight switch. These can be found at junkyards, ebay, or new from a few online stores. I purchased one off ebay that was in terrible condition for 20 bucks less than a new one cost. I ended up buying a new one. I would recommend just buying a new one.

http://www.jeepsareus.com/Merchant2/...ory_Code=FogGC

I purchased mine from this store. They shipped it the next day. Good service and it was new. I would recommend buying from them.

They also sell a full kit:

http://www.jeepsareus.com/Merchant2/...ory_Code=FogGC

ZJunk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-19-2006, 05:53 PM   #2
PlatinumZJ
Senior Moment Member

1997 ZJ 

Wow, look how clean it is
Links: Kevin (AKA KOR) for ZJ & WJ stuff,
Kolak for performance stuff. I6 performance info at Dino's jeep 4.0 performance site
Other stuff: Kevin's Roof Rack. KOR sliders, Bored 62mm TB, Blaupunkt Bermuda w/ ipod, Brembo Slotted rotors,
OME steering stabilizer, H4 headlight upgrade...
PlatinumZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-19-2006, 05:58 PM   #3
Woody
Retired back to Bowties

Please note 93-95's fuse blocks don't look like that. I'm going to add this to the FAQ though.
Unread 03-19-2006, 05:58 PM   #4
duscrapiron

I'm definitely saving this one, thanks a lot!
duscrapiron is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-19-2006, 08:23 PM   #5
ZJunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody
Please note 93-95's fuse blocks don't look like that.
yeah, i should have stated, mine is a 98. i don't know anything about other models or what years this is applicable for.
ZJunk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-05-2007, 05:31 PM   #6
uncc09meet
1993 XJ Cherokee 

What about the bumper? Will they fit, or do you have to cut out a hole?
"if genuine parts were so good, we wouldn't need to replace them!"
uncc09meet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-05-2007, 11:34 PM   #7
adgjqetuo
2004 WJ 

If you buy the factory fog lights, and have a 96-98 the spot should be there already. On the ones that don't have the fog lights, there are "vents" there. I would just cut the vent things out and the hole should be right there. I don't have a pic off hand, but if you look you should see it.

13 Subaru Outback Limited - Current
04 Jeep grand Cherokee Overland - 23k ~ 71k - Sold
98 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo SE - 73k ~ 150k - Sold
adgjqetuo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-06-2007, 02:07 AM   #8
-Joe-
1995 ZJ 

old thread..

I just did this to my 95 and added both fog lights and the auto-headlight option. (you need the module and sensor to add this)

Mine only had 1 of the foglight connectors, I have since found out that jeep just stuck a y-type cable on there to split it into 2 connectors, so mine had the connector but was missing the extra wiring.

'95 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo I6 4.0L
242TC - Extreme Engineering 2" Front Lift/1.75" Rear Lift - ES9000 Shocks + JKS BPEs
Moog Cargo Control Springs
Magnaflow Converter - Dynomax Muffler
235/75/15 AT Uniroyal Liberator Tires
-Joe- is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-06-2007, 07:54 AM   #9
uncc09meet
1993 XJ Cherokee 

yea I have a 96' and I know where the vents are, but they don't snap out, so I guess I'll have to cut them out
"if genuine parts were so good, we wouldn't need to replace them!"
uncc09meet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-23-2007, 06:06 PM   #10
MAO
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncc09meet
yea I have a 96' and I know where the vents are, but they don't snap out, so I guess I'll have to cut them out
Has anyone cut these out before? What is the best tool for this? Is the plastic too thick to use a dremel style cutting drill bit and acheive a straight cut? Doesn't look like there is enough room in there to use a dremel cutoff wheel. I am assuming that it is too thick for a razor knife. How about a heating up a knife?

I realize that some will suggest to just take off the whole front bumper cover and use a grinder. Just fishing to see if there are any other options that yield just as good results, w/o all the extra hassle.
MAO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-23-2007, 06:46 PM   #11
FPKites
ZJjazzyJim

1996 ZJ 

Dremel cutting wheels work, just watch out for molten plastic burning the hoo-hah out of your hands. Heated knife, box cutter, sheet metal shears, the list goes on and on.
Best customer service in the states:

Best mod you'll ever do on ANY vehicle!!!!

FPKites is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-06-2009, 10:46 PM   #12
Takylo
1995 ZJ 

Does anyone have an updated write up with screenshots of this process???
Takylo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-20-2009, 09:44 PM   #13
ZJackal
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takylo View Post
Does anyone have an updated write up with screenshots of this process???
Yes please! Above pics don't work anymore
Unread 03-06-2011, 05:36 PM   #14
steve L.
1997 ZJ 

Okay, Im stumped.

I got my fog lights a few weeks ago, and they wont plug into each other. In the first picture you have the plug on the left, thats the plug that was already in the ZJ. As you can tell they dont match up. If you look at the second picture, the plug that is already in the ZJ looks like it comes off. Does it? And if so, then how??? I can't get it off.
Any help will be greatly apreciated. I need to get my ZJ back together tonight for work in the morning. Pic's are below.

A Little Taste of Jersey Wheelin Of A 1997 & 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee's For Your Enjoyment.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxa3-LJhz-Y
steve L. is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-06-2011, 05:44 PM   #15
poopsko

is that just a cap over the stock harness ? Mine had a cap over the plug on the harness to protect it while it was not being used. This has been something I've been putting off for sometime now, got the cut-outs done on the facia, and the fog lights are ready to go in. My plugs did not match up either when I removed the cap (cover) , so I plan on cutting and using a butt connector and heat shrink the wires to the fogs. Hope that helps.
poopsko is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.