ZJ 94 318 stalling in reverse... - Page 3 - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 49 Old 02-10-2011, 11:34 PM
FucusJeep
1994 ZJ 

ratmonkey........our problems were damn near similar at the start thats why I "chimed in" but now with more info provided things have changed, thats why iv stopped posting in this thread and am just keeping an eye on it.

and just because buddy didnt provide absolutly every single detail about his jeep isn't a reason to start a "pissing match" on his thread, besides that theres alot of good info on these two pages. keep it coming and hope your issue gets resolved jeep94318gc

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 49 Old 02-11-2011, 02:29 AM
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FucusJeep View Post
ratmonkey........our problems were damn near similar at the start thats why I "chimed in" but now with more info provided things have changed, thats why iv stopped posting in this thread and am just keeping an eye on it.

and just because buddy didnt provide absolutly every single detail about his jeep isn't a reason to start a "pissing match" on his thread, besides that theres alot of good info on these two pages. keep it coming and hope your issue gets resolved jeep94318gc
start your own thread. Tell everyone what you've tried so far and everything out of the norm your jeep is doing. Make sure your profile is accurate.

'97 zj 5.2, some stuff, some other suff, and some things that even work sometimes.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #33 of 49 Old 02-11-2011, 12:33 PM Thread Starter
jeep94318gc
1994 ZJ 

well all my problems haven't gone away, My battery charges fine now, & my ground issue is gone, but today it stalled again at a stop sign (almost the same one as last time) it gets fuel, It doesn't matter what gear it's in, & I'm smelling something burning but I have no I dea what it is, & something sounds like it's ticking by & around the front differential/engine oil pan area. & none of the guages fail/ or change when it stalls out.

Is it possible that it's because the old 249 t-c is still in, but it has the front d/s removed? (it seems to be around that area (the sound/smell)) I know the t-case has the vss there & could explain the code 15, as for the smell it smells like burnt gear fluid, or really badly burnt/old oil. (maybe fluid that's in vc?) thanks for any help, idt it's electrical but, I could be wrong...

"It's a jeep thing, It was made for that..."

me telling a friend of mine (who was freaking out) after I passed a semi on the freeway (using the dirt/grass shoulder) @ 70.

post #34 of 49 Old 02-11-2011, 07:48 PM
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

Can you do a torque converter stall speed test?

A quick search should bring up one if the times I've posted it.

the gear oil and ticking could be a separate issue. Since you had destroyed the diff already.does the ticking relate to any vehicle or engine speeds?
post #35 of 49 Old 02-12-2011, 07:59 AM Thread Starter
jeep94318gc
1994 ZJ 

sorry double post,read below.

me telling a friend of mine (who was freaking out) after I passed a semi on the freeway (using the dirt/grass shoulder) @ 70.
post #36 of 49 Old 02-12-2011, 08:02 AM Thread Starter
jeep94318gc
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratmonkey View Post
Can you do a torque converter stall speed test?

A quick search should bring up one if the times I've posted it.

the gear oil and ticking could be a separate issue. Since you had destroyed the diff already.does the ticking relate to any vehicle or engine speeds?
did the stall speed test, it's between 1800-2200rpm (more like 2000 really)

and no the ticking I don't notice at speeds, it only does it when in park/idling.
as for the smell of gear fluid/oil, that started yesterday & hasn't gone away. also,might be helpful, but the transmission shifts real strong (no loss in speed, no noises,etc.) & can get to 3rd gear in about just under 6 seconds. ik i'm not losing speed (uphill,highway,etc.) it drives like it's always drivin,but stalls out at idle (wich is between 500-1000 rpm's.) (and it's been idling like tht since '06) I looked at the throttle body, & noticed the butterfly valves are scorched badly along with the edge of the tb. (and 2 hours after the vehicle was shut off, the engine was cold, but the tb was still red hot.) ik there is no obstruction with the iac, but that doesn't mean it isn't a bad sensor though. (any ideas on how to check that?) also,I've noticed it seems to be at random when it stalls out, it'll run for 20 minutes at a givin time then stall, then at other times between 3-10 minutes. yesterday I made it to the store fine, but it stalled backing out of the parking space (and it idle'd the whole 25 minutes I was waiting for someone) then later on yesterday I went up to a different store (that was farther) & it stalled at a stop light (just sitting (not even 2 minutes at the light) started right up & was fine til I came home. (rpm's don't drop,oil,or voltage,when this happens.) And the ticking issue sounds to me like a hydraulic lifter? (as it seems to be around that general area) and i'm also wondering, the burnt fluid smell, is it possible it could be coolant? (when I was pushed home the first time, coolant spilled in the engine compartment (the cap is missing, so being bumped/pushed knocked it out of the resevoir)... thx.

post #37 of 49 Old 02-12-2011, 08:46 AM
Foundrydude
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeep94318gc View Post
and 2 hours after the vehicle was shut off, the engine was cold, but the tb was still red hot.
Sounds like you found your battery drain and the reason for it stalling

You've got one component that's known to be scorched and overheated/overheating. Don't overthink the burning smell til this is addressed.

good luck
post #38 of 49 Old 02-12-2011, 12:16 PM Thread Starter
jeep94318gc
1994 ZJ 

thanks i'm loooking into getting a replacement IAC motor/sensor, see if that might help, I have also heard that it may be the ecu/ecm, or pcm, due to the fact that since i've owned the vehicle (2006) it has always had proplems starting/staying running on cold days, wet rainy days, or days when the vehicle hasn't been ran for a long time (or overnight). i do know it still gets wet inside on the passengers side, & if i bump/kick/hit,etc. the passengers side fuse/relay box, or under the hood on the passengers side (by the firewall, the black box with wires) it'll sometimes start, other times if i leave it for 30minutes to an hour (sometimes longer) it'll start just fine & run no problem. I'm thinking it's the same intermittent stalling problems that I have experienced since I have had the car (just with the addition of it now stalling at idle too.) am I wrong to think pcm/ecu? and out of curiosity does anyone happen to know what the wire harness/box under the passengers side dash goes to/ or what it is, because since I've had the vehicle there is a few cut/broken wires, & wiggling those wires seems to help it start on occasion (most of the time not though).

post #39 of 49 Old 02-12-2011, 02:57 PM
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

i've never heard of an iac with an internal short like that but it's possibly the only explanation for the tb remaining heated while everything else is cool.
BUT it should not be receiving power with the ecu off.

'97 zj 5.2, some stuff, some other suff, and some things that even work sometimes.

post #40 of 49 Old 02-13-2011, 11:38 AM Thread Starter
jeep94318gc
1994 ZJ 

Update: no such luck as of yet, I have taken the throttle body off, cleaned it real well with carb/choke cleaner, I cleaned the IAC, the tbps contacts, and the pin sized intake hole was pretty clogged, but now it responds better, & can hear it breathe better. but after 35 minutes of running I went to back it out, put it in reverse gave a little gas & stalled out. I checked & traced all the trans lines, tranz cooler, & everything is fine there, replaced tranz filter, & fuel filter even though both looked fine. added motor oil & topped it off, took it up to penzoil & had them run there fuel injector cleanning solution, & still no luck! It's still intermintent stalling when I put it in gear (most noticeably reverse). (I'm also having the computer tell me to service 4wd switch (something it's always said, but not for a long time, since I took the front d/s out). (but that's not my main worry, I just can't figure out what's causing this... I'm SOL/ & Ideas... any other ideas?

post #41 of 49 Old 02-14-2011, 07:27 AM
Foundrydude
1995 ZJ 

Cleaning a switch is not going to fix a TB staying live when the vehicle is shut off. It's time to chase & replace
post #42 of 49 Old 02-14-2011, 07:37 AM Thread Starter
jeep94318gc
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foundrydude View Post
Cleaning a switch is not going to fix a TB staying live when the vehicle is shut off. It's time to chase & replace
lmao

post #43 of 49 Old 02-14-2011, 07:39 AM Thread Starter
jeep94318gc
1994 ZJ 

I found out what really went wrong... turns out my bro took the jeep 2 days b4 the symptoms started (w/o lettin' me know) & put gas in it (thinking i'd be none the wiser)... IT WAS BAD GAS! I basically did a whole tune up for nothin'... got some Heat fuel additive, Ran it outta gas, went & got more, been running fine since

post #44 of 49 Old 02-14-2011, 01:21 PM
mike_breaker_5
1994 YJ Wrangler 

i'd find out where he got the gas and be sure to not it buy there anymore.

Ratmonkey donation page. all proceeds will go to his family.

it's not much to look at... but it's mine.
5.2lswap, metalcloaks, bedliner, tucked belly, d60's, soon to be nv4500 and d300.

post #45 of 49 Old 02-14-2011, 02:11 PM
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeep94318gc View Post
I found out what really went wrong... turns out my bro took the jeep 2 days b4 the symptoms started (w/o lettin' me know) & put gas in it (thinking i'd be none the wiser)... IT WAS BAD GAS! I basically did a whole tune up for nothin'... got some Heat fuel additive, Ran it outta gas, went & got more, been running fine since
did you punch him in the neck?
stealing someone's vehicle is not funny.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.