ZJ 6cyl runs bad after 15 minutes of driving? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > ZJ 6cyl runs bad after 15 minutes of driving?

Cess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WDGEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 08-02-2009, 02:19 AM   #1
jeepspotter
1995 ZJ 

ZJ 6cyl runs bad after 15 minutes of driving?

After chasing a bunch of little problems with my 95 ZJ 4.0 6 cyl that I just bought, the last engine issue eludes me....

The engine runs strong and clean when my jeep has been sitting for a while...until I drive it for 10-15 minutes, out of nowhere, starts to sputter and studder like mad. It is still driveable at this point, but runs horribly and makes awful noises (perhaps misfiring or bad fuel)

If I let it sit for a couple hours to cool back down, it will run perfect for another 10-15 minutes till it warms back up again. Im stuck, any suggestions on this?

No throwing any codes AFAIK, and I haven't been able to find anything like this searching the forums. Any related posts?

jeepspotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2009, 02:25 AM   #2
kwellzz
1998 ZJ 

how many miles?
Seems like it is related to the engine going into closed mode once warm. Have you searched for 02 sensor symptoms?

Motorcycle Repair in Denverhttp://www.wellsmoto.com
kwellzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2009, 02:44 AM   #3
jeepspotter
1995 ZJ 

155xxx miles.

Why symptoms should I look for in a bad O2 sensor?
jeepspotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2009, 04:17 AM   #4
sidescrollin
1950 M-38 

You aren't really giving alot of information.

So after a while it starts misfiring and wanting to quit??? after you have driven it a while...could be a number of things. what it reminds me of is the fuel pump on a disco I had. So it could be your solenoid overheating and then not feeding enough gas to the car.

It could be a bad o2 sensor and is making different reading and causes you to run rich or lean and stutter.
Is your MAF clean?
sidescrollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2009, 02:45 PM   #5
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

disconnect the upstream o2 sensor and drive it around for a while. it will throw a code but if it doesn't do any of the symptoms you're experiencing you've found your bad part.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.