ZJ 5spd Swap - Page 9 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > ZJ 5spd Swap

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 05-23-2013, 02:31 PM   #121
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunkeye11 View Post
No no I don't mean that I mean once you are done. the shifter fits in the same place like an AX-15 would because I saw someone who used another trans and they had to hack up there center console
you'll have to hack up the trans tunnel/console with the ram unit, the dakota unit is closer but will still require cutting.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-15-2013, 09:08 PM   #122
MurdaJs
1996 ZJ 

Just about finished with the swap. A few things i learned:

Dakota 231d hd has a larger output, meaning our stock driveshaft wont work. Also, there is no speedo gear like in a jeep tcase. Two fixes i came up with: frankenstine dakota/jeep driveshaft, or jeep slip yoke eliminator and new ds. The sye route will also fix the speedo problem.

I ended up swapping in a 242j from a 4.0 zj. Input shafts were both .840. Going from 249 internal slip yoke to 242 external slip yoke allowed the stock driveshaft to stay unmodified. While the nv3500 is shorter than the 44re, 242 external is longer than the 249 internal. Overall my driveline is about an inch shorter now.

I was havin trouble finding a dakota or ram pcm so i ended up going the SCT route. FlyinRyan tuned mine and in addition to flashing my pcm for performance, he was able to delete the auto trans functions from my pcm. This translates to NO CELS while using your stock zj pcm. Now an SCT tuner and custom tuning does cost much more than a dakota or ram pcm, but you also get better performance and dont have to hunt down a possibly unusable pcm.
MurdaJs is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-18-2013, 05:19 PM   #123
MurdaJs
1996 ZJ 

Finally finished and driving, couldnt have done it without your help rat
MurdaJs is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-18-2013, 06:56 PM   #124
McCloudsZJ
Because RaceJeep

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurdaJs
Finally finished and driving, couldnt have done it without your help rat
Very nice.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using JeepForum
On the Jeep:Hot intake, 52mm TB, Summit 8mm wires, catch can, 703s, insulated fuel rails, indexed Champions, Bilstein 4600s, Eibach lowering springs, Moog SS, Ironman mounts, Lotek 2GP, lots of gauges, sparkly paint.
In the garage: M1 4bbl
In the works: Addco/Hellwig sway bars, nitrous, full polly bushings, full exhaust, data logging, billet UD pulleys
McCloudsZJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.