ZJ 5spd Swap - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > ZJ 5spd Swap

Engo LED Flush Mount Lights *PAIR* Flood or Spot 1,600 LumYukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon ZipRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 08-12-2012, 11:56 AM   #61
jtackerman28
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratmonkey

vids or lies.
the 3550 is the exact same internals as the VERY poorly regarded gm 3500, and only gear ratios have changed very slightly from the dodge close ratio version, the synchros and shaft sizes are the same. it can't hold up to 300ftlbs from a 318 or 360 with that kind of launching on STREET tires. so, i'm saying you're blowing smoke.
Video video video!

Unread 08-12-2012, 01:45 PM   #62
moparrr07
1998 ZJ 

i dont have any kinda of video camera or a way to mount it, had 2 people with me that will vouch for me, i have no reason to lie, im just telling everyone my experience and have no reason to impress a couple people across the us,

while ive only done those kind of burnouts 3 times due to tire cost i do bark 2nd gear darn near 5 times a day, alot of times on accident

ratmonkey, you are the ONLY person i have ever heard of that has had trouble with a 3550, its rated at 300 lbft for a 7200 gvw (most people say this is conservative) although others say it doesnt take long to ruin any trans with the wrong driver

lets review- in the world of nv3500/3550

ram nv3500-
pos-good mount location, higher t case
neg- worse shifter location, worse ratios

dak nv3500-
pos- good shifter location
neg- worse mount location, worse ratios, lower transfer case

jeep nv3550-
pos- good shifter location, mount location, ratios, higher t case
neg-?

i still dont see any single benefit to get a dak or ram 3500 over a 3550
Unread 08-12-2012, 03:26 PM   #63
Taz360ZJ

so what kind of mileage are you guys pulling now?
Unread 08-12-2012, 04:23 PM   #64
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by moparrr07 View Post
i dont have any kinda of video camera or a way to mount it, had 2 people with me that will vouch for me, i have no reason to lie, im just telling everyone my experience and have no reason to impress a couple people across the us,

while ive only done those kind of burnouts 3 times due to tire cost i do bark 2nd gear darn near 5 times a day, alot of times on accident

ratmonkey, you are the ONLY person i have ever heard of that has had trouble with a 3550, its rated at 300 lbft for a 7200 gvw (most people say this is conservative) although others say it doesnt take long to ruin any trans with the wrong driver

lets review- in the world of nv3500/3550

ram nv3500-
pos-good mount location, higher t case
neg- worse shifter location, worse ratios

dak nv3500-
pos- good shifter location
neg- worse mount location, worse ratios, lower transfer case

jeep nv3550-
pos- good shifter location, mount location, ratios, higher t case
neg-?

i still dont see any single benefit to get a dak or ram 3500 over a 3550
i didn't say there was any negatives or it was a worse choice beyond the normal strength problems associated with this series of transmissions.
well, actually there is one negative that the ax swap also shares, those bell housings are starting to get a bit tough to find in many areas. i have a friend that took almost two months of constant calling parts yards, watching ebay, and craigslist before he found one at a reasonable price.
you're putting that into my messages. i know the shifter location will be the same as the dak unit, i know nothing of the trans mount location other than that it is not the same as the ax-15.

most people would probably be better off using the terminator ax-15 as it CAN hold up to 400ftlbs with no issues. that particular model is from full size toyota v8 trucks.

there's a lot of wrangler guys out there with plenty of 3550 problems. mainly because of the horrible synchro life. but i've seen plenty of stripped gears as well. the dakota/ram guys can't get the 3500's to last 100k in a normal truck most of the time, with a REAL 300ftlb producing motor in front of them they usually don't last more than a few thousand miles. they're a medium/light duty trans. can't get around it. you're the only person i've ever heard claim the 300fltb limit on these is conservative. most people say it's over rated.

the trans everyone who does this SHOULD be swapping in is the 4500, but it requires tunnel modification and a heavy duty transfercase.

as for me being the only person with problems. maybe you should read a few dakota and ram forums. NO ONE recommends that transmission for more than a paperweight.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-12-2012, 04:33 PM   #65
Mark-318-IT
1998 ZJ 

what transmission would be enough duty to the v8?

does exists any HD manual tranny to swap in?

you were talking about the nv4500, is that enough tough?

thanks for the infos.
Mark-318-IT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-12-2012, 08:51 PM   #66
moparrr07
1998 ZJ 

yeah the nv4500 is plenty strong, comes behind deisels and v10s, the physical size of the trans is enormous require tunnel modification, plus shift location is terrible

as far as them lasting only a few thousond miles..... dont know how they got past the first year, they came behind 325 lbft 5.9 in 2500s, syncros life is all in how you treat it, people only complain when stuff breaks, and 70% of people out there cant properly drive a manual anyways (not work a clutch, operate the trans)
Unread 08-12-2012, 09:52 PM   #67
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

Quote:
yeah the nv4500 is plenty strong, comes behind deisels and v10s, the physical size of the trans is enormous require tunnel modification, plus shift location is terrible

as far as them lasting only a few thousond miles..... dont know how they got past the first year, they came behind 325 lbft 5.9 in 2500s, syncros life is all in how you treat it, people only complain when stuff breaks, and 70% of people out there cant properly drive a manual anyways (not work a clutch, operate the trans)
the 360/5.9 NEVER came with the nv3500, it came with the nv4500. as the nv3500 is not rated to take more than 300ftlbs of input torque(vehicle weight and tire size has no bearing on this at all)
depending upon the year the diesels and v10's came with a HD4500, nv5600, or nv6500.

Unread 08-13-2012, 06:04 AM   #68
Mark-318-IT
1998 ZJ 

this link talks about nv4500: http://www.offroaders.com/directory/...0-exploded.htm
Mark-318-IT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-13-2012, 06:57 AM   #69
belalerede
1997 ZJ 

just inherited my buddy's 01 v8 dakota. Will the electrical work in my 97 v8 grand. The truck is complete except for the toasted engine. So if I understand it right, the only thing I will need to buy is the shorty headers if the electrical parts will work. Any help would be appreciated. Always wanted a standard grand since I saw one about 10 years ago.
belalerede is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-13-2012, 02:23 PM   #70
moparrr07
1998 ZJ 

ratmonkey, does your cruise control work? what shift boot are you using?
Unread 08-13-2012, 02:40 PM   #71
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by belalerede View Post
just inherited my buddy's 01 v8 dakota. Will the electrical work in my 97 v8 grand. The truck is complete except for the toasted engine. So if I understand it right, the only thing I will need to buy is the shorty headers if the electrical parts will work. Any help would be appreciated. Always wanted a standard grand since I saw one about 10 years ago.
the ecu should work, if it still works. they like to fail when they just sit around for some unknown reason.
you'll need shorty headers, a custom crossmember, custom y-pipe, shorter/longer drive shafts, extended starter wiring, zj pedals or modified xj pedals, trans tunnel cover from a 5 spd zj or just cut yours, and a shift boot.
it's all there in the first posts...
Quote:
ratmonkey, does your cruise control work? what shift boot are you using?
my cruise works. i'm using a base boot from a ram(the under the console boot) and a custom console cover over that.

Unread 08-13-2012, 11:51 PM   #72
moparrr07
1998 ZJ 

do you have a picture of the boot?
Unread 08-14-2012, 09:58 AM   #73
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

Maybe, can't really see through the cover i made. I'll have a look

Unread 08-14-2012, 05:50 PM   #74
moparrr07
1998 ZJ 

i meant the custom top cover you made, i used a lower boot from mr gasket, but i need to make a custom one myself
Unread 08-14-2012, 06:09 PM   #75
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

just a square box of sheet with a couple switch holes and a cb mount. i think there's a shot or three in my build thread.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.