ZJ 4.0 low idle - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > ZJ 4.0 low idle

Cess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD15 x 8 Black D-Window Steel Wheels Set of 4Magnaflow SS Cat Back Exhaust System, Street, High Clearan

Unread 09-18-2013, 11:51 AM   #1
IKSLM
1995 ZJ 

ZJ 4.0 low idle

This seems to be a "common" problem with these jeeps....

So my idle (when the jeep warms up) falls to about 200rpm, which is really really low...

Just replaced TPS and IAC, cleaned the TB (completely - even the IAC "tunnel"), but low idle still persists (no change).

What could be the problem? There are no error codes, except 12 (me clearing the adaptive memory) and 55.

What's next on the list to check?

I removed the CAT some time ago, but i *think* that the low idle was there before the removal.

IKSLM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2013, 12:03 PM   #2
IKSLM
1995 ZJ 

One more thing. I also replaced the spark plugs and i noticed a difference in plug gap, could this affect the idle rpms?
Unread 09-18-2013, 12:51 PM   #3
zjosh93
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by IKSLM View Post
One more thing. I also replaced the spark plugs and i noticed a difference in plug gap, could this affect the idle rpms?
Do you mean that the new plugs you bought were not gapped the same as the old plugs? It's normal for the old plugs to wear down somewhat so that the old plugs have a slightly bigger gap than freshly gapped plugs. If you mean that you took the new plugs out of the box and the gap was different so you just put them in you missed a step. Most new plugs don't come with the gap already set: you have to do that yourself with a gapping tool or feeler gauges.

Yes, incorrectly gapped plugs could mess with your idle speed.
zjosh93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2013, 12:58 PM   #4
IKSLM
1995 ZJ 

Thanks!! Will try this first thing tomorrow.
Unread 09-18-2013, 12:59 PM   #5
zjosh93
1993 ZJ 

If you suspect your idle air control valve is dead you can push the pintle back in a little following the instructions here:
http://www.airtexve.com/custom_searc.../990700385.pdf

I do this whenever I clean my valve and the idle will jump up when I restart and slowly drop as the valve adjusts.
zjosh93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2013, 01:30 PM   #6
Oldfrog
Web Wheeler
1997 ZJ 

Unplug the upstream o2 sensor and let it warm up to operating temps. It will throw a check engine light...but see if it idles better. If it cures it, replace both 02 sensors with NTK sensors. Rockauto.com has them ( cheap) or you could order them from Kolak on this site. Dont use Bosch sensors, whatever you do.

Check for vacuum leaks too.

Words of wisdom, Posted by Zeejay:
"..it's not air, it is the opposite of air... suckage so to speak."

Stalling? Work through Zeejay's list
Oldfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2013, 02:51 PM   #7
Kingr98
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfrog View Post
Unplug the upstream o2 sensor and let it warm up to operating temps. It will throw a check engine light...but see if it idles better. If it cures it, replace both 02 sensors with NTK sensors. Rockauto.com has them ( cheap) or you could order them from Kolak on this site. Dont use Bosch sensors, whatever you.
Do the 95 ZJs have two O2 sensors?
Kingr98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2013, 01:22 AM   #8
IKSLM
1995 ZJ 

don't know - yet
Unread 09-19-2013, 11:17 AM   #9
IKSLM
1995 ZJ 

ok, adjusted the plug gap, NO difference!

what's the easiest way to check for vacuum leaks?
Unread 09-19-2013, 07:24 PM   #10
94grandzj
1994 ZJ 

When you replaced IAC did you use mopar or aftermarket? I have seen several aftermarket sensors bad out of the box. Just a thought.
94grandzj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2013, 05:22 PM   #11
IKSLM
1995 ZJ 

IAC is aftermarket, but i don't think that the IAC is the problem, since it works when for example i put it into drive or engage the climate control. The RPMs stay on the same level - low. It's the same with old and new IAC.
Unread 09-29-2013, 12:09 PM   #12
Oldfrog
Web Wheeler
1997 ZJ 

Question. You said the idle is around 200. Is that from the Jeep's tach or from a scanner? My tach says 500 or so, but the scanner says 750.

Words of wisdom, Posted by Zeejay:
"..it's not air, it is the opposite of air... suckage so to speak."

Stalling? Work through Zeejay's list
Oldfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2013, 09:54 AM   #13
IKSLM
1995 ZJ 

It's from the Jeep's tacho, but i know it's really low, since the engine almost dies when i come to a complete stop.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.