zj 3.5 inch lift front cv shaft - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > zj 3.5 inch lift front cv shaft

*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 11-02-2013, 09:09 AM   #16
HighLonesome
Belief In All Things Jeep

1995 ZJ 

The CV joint has to point perfectly at the ring gear. In other words they need to be perpendicular.

You may or may not be able to achieve that with the stock control arms cambolt adjustment.

HighLonesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-22-2013, 04:57 AM   #17
bjorn17
1996 ZJ 

I also happen to have a 3"-3.5" lift on my ZJ. Stock front CV driveshaft.

What is exactly the reasons behind the front driveshaft exploding? Is it because the CV unit does not allow the driveshaft to expand and compress enough or what?

I am trying to understand what I should or should not do. E.g. can I use WJ front lower CA or not. They will move the front axle a bit more forward, which is pefect for the lift but I am not sure how good it will be for the CV driveshaft. It will need to expand more in length and it will not be at such a good angle anymore.

Ideas?
bjorn17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2013, 09:16 PM   #18
dougmorgan99
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteOut View Post
Lol, 5.5" on stock arms. The reason it didn't grenade is because he has less travel than stock.
ROFL, there may be a lot of truth to that WhiteOut. But man would that thing flexed out really well with the sway-bar disconnected. I'll have to find a pic with it flexed and post it... Actually I misspoke, he did have RC fixed lower control arms from their 3.5" lift kit. He also added 2" BB blocks on it but still had his stock upper arms. It confounded me why he set it up this way but I guess each Jeep owner has a right to do what he wants to do despite conventional wisdom. Either way, his CV front driveshaft survived...
dougmorgan99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2014, 07:27 PM   #19
po0dingles
1998 ZJ 

http://www.cherokeeforum.com/f67/3-i...-vibes-128375/

po0dingles is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cv driveshaft , rough country

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.