ZJ (1998) with Infinity Gold rear passenger issue - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > ZJ (1998) with Infinity Gold rear passenger issue

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippDan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 05-21-2004, 04:42 PM   #1
MatrixRooster

ZJ (1998) with Infinity Gold rear passenger issue

Ok, in addition to the post I just left, I blew the rear passenger (drivers side) speaker.. Haven't gotten the door apart (don't see the panels I'm used to seeing hiding screws like on GM cars, hehe) so I was wondering if anyone knows what kind of speaker is behind there, and what would be best to replace it with. I read that the Infinity Gold package has a sub. Not sure if those are subs, or if there's one hidden elsewhere.. I know the Infinity Amp is hiding under the drivers side rear passenger seat. Would also LOVE a wiring diagram of that, btw, if anyone knows where I could get one...

Jeep is stock at the moment, no aftermarket speakers/amp/head unit.. Again, as always, ANY additional information would be greatly appreciated!

Rooster

MatrixRooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2004, 11:11 PM   #2
MatrixRooster

Anyone have any ideas?
Unread 05-24-2004, 06:05 AM   #3
Meerkat
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatrixRooster
Anyone have any ideas?

Clicky

A search of the Grand Cherokee and Radios/Electronics forums using the word "infinity" will turn up more of this sort of thing.

HTH
Unread 05-24-2004, 05:22 PM   #4
AZFlyingDiver

The rear door panel is easy enough to take off. Pop off the round plastic screw covers you can see and the one behind the door handle. The door panel can then be pried off (held in by those plastic clips - good thing Auto Zone sells replacements ). The speaker is an el-cheapo Infinity with a paper cone. I like Infinity, so I just replaced all the door speakers with REAL ones - 6..5" 62.5i - a HUGE difference). Also, if you Dynamat the speaker area and stuff some polyfill behind the speaker basket, you'll see (hear!) an even better result.
AZFlyingDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2004, 02:30 AM   #5
MatrixRooster

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZFlyingDiver
The rear door panel is easy enough to take off. Pop off the round plastic screw covers you can see and the one behind the door handle. The door panel can then be pried off (held in by those plastic clips - good thing Auto Zone sells replacements ). The speaker is an el-cheapo Infinity with a paper cone. I like Infinity, so I just replaced all the door speakers with REAL ones - 6..5" 62.5i - a HUGE difference). Also, if you Dynamat the speaker area and stuff some polyfill behind the speaker basket, you'll see (hear!) an even better result.
Awesome! Thanks for the info! Didn't know Autozone carried those clips, hehe. Also never didn't think of posting/looking in any other forum. I always thought everything related to each type of Jeep was in each individual forum. Was not aware a catch-all even existed for music related topics, hehe.. Will have to check there and see if I can find that pinout info. Thanks,

Rooster

P.S: Did you buy those speakers locally or off the net? Recommend any good places on the net, if so? Just ran a search anda ton a inet shops come up, hehe..

Last edited by MatrixRooster; 05-28-2004 at 02:33 AM..
Unread 05-28-2004, 08:43 AM   #6
cfoxmd

Take one of the good clips with you to autozone--15 for less than $3 or go to the stealer $2.79 each (ouch). The original speakers are crap (even if they have the infinity name on them. They can't have cost over $5 each--paper cone and foam surround. Foam goes bad.
cfoxmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2004, 08:49 AM   #7
AZFlyingDiver

For net buys, I've used Crutchfield a lot www.crutchfield.com
The prices are good, but even better the service is awesome. And when you buy speakers and stuff, you get free detailed install instructions and connections (saves and extra few bucks). You might get better prices elsewhere, but not by much. Also try www.thezeb.com Prices are good and service is average, but I've had no problems with them.

Yeah, the stock Infinity speakers were crappy. When I took them out, the foam surrounds pretty much disintegrated on the spot. "Real" Infinity's are SO much better...
Unread 05-28-2004, 12:03 PM   #8
techie

Just an FYI Jeep (dealership of course) wants $150 for that rear speaker.
techie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2004, 01:46 PM   #9
AZFlyingDiver

Unbelievable, but somehow not surprising... for $150 one can do a LOT better than a "pseudo" 2- way with paper cones!

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.