you know you drive a ZJ when... - Page 96 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > you know you drive a ZJ when...

TJ Wrangler 4" Rough Country Suspension Lift Kits in JEEP Gear Change Packages From ROCKRIDGE 4WD. We Are DIFFIron Cross Customer JK and TJ Wrangler Bumpers now at ROCK

Unread 05-09-2012, 08:11 PM   #1426
E-rok
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizophrenicMC View Post
ZJs have coils and dampers. YJs and TJs have leaves. It's not hard to imagine why the bigger, coilier ZJ rides better.

But I'm not looking for ride comfort right now either
TJ's have coils all around and the same front suspension as a ZJ

Unread 05-09-2012, 08:16 PM   #1427
SchizophrenicMC
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-rok View Post
TJ's have coils all around and the same front suspension as a ZJ
Dammit, I was thinking of my old neighbor's CJ while I was thinking of Zack's TJ, and I spoke out of my ***.

Still, coils = ride quality.

Because tacky green leather is SUPER COOL
SchizophrenicMC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-09-2012, 08:24 PM   #1428
badbird17x
Web Wheeler

1994 ZJ 

Not sure on Tj, but my brothers jk is just as heavy as a zj, yet doesn't ride as well even though the front is a longer arm setup. What I think hurts it's ride is the short wheelbase. See it with semis as well, shorter rides worse.
94 jz, bruiser, la, cage,5.3 ls, 36 swampers 98 jz, the mutt, 3.5 iro, 33 swampers, avalanche conversion, 02 north face avalanche blacked out work truck, 06 rhino R1 engine, 4x4, Leeroy's custom paint, 04 escalade wifes truck 22s, 03 duramax 18s, completely blacked out, efilive by nick, wicked wicked truck, 39 chop chevy rod, aluminum 5.3 ls, 08 apex, 310hp mcx turbo, holz 162, completely black, CCM built.
badbird17x is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-09-2012, 08:32 PM   #1429
E-rok
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by badbird17x View Post
Not sure on Tj, but my brothers jk is just as heavy as a zj, yet doesn't ride as well even though the front is a longer arm setup. What I think hurts it's ride is the short wheelbase. See it with semis as well, shorter rides worse.
2 door or 4 door? my parents 4 door JK rides pretty nice
Unread 05-09-2012, 08:37 PM   #1430
SchizophrenicMC
1997 ZJ 

Short wheelbase, lack of mass for its size, massive coils for something that small, of course the ride's gonna suck.

But who buys a Wrangler for its ride quality? I think the 4-door JK is ridiculous and way too long. Trying to make the Wrangler a mom vehicle. Not cool. Let the wrangler be the short, 2-door offroad machine, and let the moms have the Compass. It's better that way, I promise. But no, 30 and 40-something women have to ruin all the cool things. Automatic V6 Mustang convertibles, 4-door Jeep Wranglers, Charger sedan, what's next? FWD Silverado?

Unread 05-09-2012, 08:40 PM   #1431
E-rok
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Short wheelbase, lack of mass for its size, massive coils for something that small, of course the ride's gonna suck.

But who buys a Wrangler for its ride quality? I think the 4-door JK is ridiculous and way too long. Trying to make the Wrangler a mom vehicle. Not cool. Let the wrangler be the short, 2-door offroad machine, and let the moms have the Compass. It's better that way, I promise. But no, 30 and 40-something women have to ruin all the cool things. Automatic V6 Mustang convertibles, 4-door Jeep Wranglers, Charger sedan, what's next? FWD Silverado?
umm a 4 door JK is a pretty capable rig............
Unread 05-09-2012, 08:46 PM   #1432
jtackerman28
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by badbird17x
My uncles jk 4 door rides a little better then mine with 3000$ into a bds long arm and fox racing shocks and only rides a little better then my short arm 40$ shocks
Unread 05-09-2012, 08:51 PM   #1433
E-rok
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtackerman28 View Post
My uncles jk 4 door rides a little better then mine with 3000$ into a bds long arm and fox racing shocks and only rides a little better then my short arm 40$ shocks
I find that highly unlikely if his rig is set up properly
Unread 05-09-2012, 08:52 PM   #1434
95_ZJ_Limited
1995 ZJ 

a 4 door JK may be capable, but what I think he is getting at it the "cool" factor of it and that they are mostly mom mobiles or driven by teenage girls and turned into mall crawlers. Don't get me wrong though, my buddy owns a 4 door that he actually uses offroad and it is one badass rig
95_ZJ_Limited is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-09-2012, 08:56 PM   #1435
jtackerman28
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-rok

umm a 4 door JK is a pretty capable rig............
Rubicon will smack the crap out of any other stock Jeep
Unread 05-09-2012, 09:18 PM   #1436
SchizophrenicMC
1997 ZJ 

I'm not saying it's not capable. I'm saying it's taken the cool factor and ****ed it in the ***. It's a Wrangler in the same sense an H2 is a Hummer. H2s are very capable offroad vehicles, if you've ever seen one actually going off road. But it's not the pure offroad, who-cares-about-creature-comforts midlife crisis-mobile. It's a mom-car. A mall crawler. 99% of H2s never get taken off the pavement, and the same is roughly true of the 4-door Wrangler Unlimited.

I mean, an auto Mustang is still fast, but it's an auto V6 Mustang convertible. What's cool about that? Chargers are fast, but I don't remember the General Lee having 4 doors or being turned into the replacement Crown Victoria. Screw capability, where's the DNA?

Unread 05-09-2012, 09:39 PM   #1437
jtackerman28
1997 ZJ 

Quote:

I find that highly unlikely if his rig is set up properly
It doesn't sway and dart as much but it doesn't take the bumps much better. It was all professionally installed.
Unread 05-09-2012, 09:47 PM   #1438
E-rok
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
I'm not saying it's not capable. I'm saying it's taken the cool factor and ****ed it in the ***. It's a Wrangler in the same sense an H2 is a Hummer. H2s are very capable offroad vehicles, if you've ever seen one actually going off road. But it's not the pure offroad, who-cares-about-creature-comforts midlife crisis-mobile. It's a mom-car. A mall crawler. 99% of H2s never get taken off the pavement, and the same is roughly true of the 4-door Wrangler Unlimited.

I mean, an auto Mustang is still fast, but it's an auto V6 Mustang convertible. What's cool about that? Chargers are fast, but I don't remember the General Lee having 4 doors or being turned into the replacement Crown Victoria. Screw capability, where's the DNA?
lol an H2 is capable offroad? its a glorified 3/4 ton tahoe

and what creature comforts? my parents JK has roll up windows, manual door locks, basically nothing except AC and a CD player. an amusing comment considering most ZJ's are fully loaded with heated leather seats, and routinely driven by soccer moms.

guess what? 99% of "off-road" vehicles never go offroad, regardless of make or model
Unread 05-09-2012, 10:00 PM   #1439
DeansWings
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-rok View Post
lol an H2 is capable offroad? its a glorified 3/4 ton tahoe

and what creature comforts? my parents JK has roll up windows, manual door locks, basically nothing except AC and a CD player. an amusing comment considering most ZJ's are fully loaded with heated leather seats, and routinely driven by soccer moms.

guess what? 99% of "off-road" vehicles never go offroad, regardless of make or model
Another model bashing flame war. JKs strike me, personally, more as a poser ride NOT because of the percentage of road queens. I think the aftermarket support of a JK vs. a ZJ says a lot about which one is used for offroad more often. If as many people wanted to wheel ZJs as any wrangler we wouldnt be paying 1 million dollars for a tube bumper when the same bumper with wrangler mounts cost $500.

However, I see A LOT more JKs coming from the dealer with 35" nitto grapplers that have seen easily 50k tread wear and havent a scratch on the jeep itself. ZJs are catered towards soccer moms, but are a capable and CHEAP offroad rig, while I personally know people that have payed extra for the locked 44s on a rubicon and never wheel it. That's why JKs stick out, to me, as more of a poser rig. People just see that you can take the top and doors off, and that looks cool right? Hell, I want a CJ7 just so I can cruise around with the top off and never once use it on the trails. To each their own, but you have to admit people are paying a lot more to look cool in a JK than in a ZJ.

That being said; I think built JKU rubis are beautiful beautiful machines. I just cant imagine wheeling something I owe $20k+ on.

'06 WK 3.7 2wd stock as a rock.

The Build:
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/96-zj-build-1262449/[/url]

North Texas Grands:
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f348/north-texas-grands-1323367/[/url]

Youtube wheeling vids (mostly from Bridgeport):
[url]http://www.youtube.com/user/MrDeanswings?feature=guide[/url]

Grand Slam Texas!:
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/grand-slam-texas-1419143/index19.html[/url]
DeansWings is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-09-2012, 10:07 PM   #1440
badbird17x
Web Wheeler

1994 ZJ 

Quote:

2 door or 4 door? my parents 4 door JK rides pretty nice
His is a 2 door. A 4 door would ride better than a zj as it's close to the same weight, length, and has longer arms.
94 jz, bruiser, la, cage,5.3 ls, 36 swampers 98 jz, the mutt, 3.5 iro, 33 swampers, avalanche conversion, 02 north face avalanche blacked out work truck, 06 rhino R1 engine, 4x4, Leeroy's custom paint, 04 escalade wifes truck 22s, 03 duramax 18s, completely blacked out, efilive by nick, wicked wicked truck, 39 chop chevy rod, aluminum 5.3 ls, 08 apex, 310hp mcx turbo, holz 162, completely black, CCM built.
badbird17x is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.