you know you drive a ZJ when... - Page 598 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > you know you drive a ZJ when...

Smittybilt Products at Oconee Off-Road!Alloy USA Still AvailableCurrie Currectlync Steering Upgrade Kits and Currie Anti-R

Unread 10-28-2013, 01:29 PM   #8956
cgcarpenter
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizophrenicMC
I have all new sensors, that's the problem. TPS, CPS, CKS, UO2, DO2, IAT, MAP, CTS, and even the OPS and knock sensor for good measure. The only sensor still original is the speed sensor, because it's the only one I can prove is reading properly. I'm 4 PCMs into it, I've replaced everything related to the ignition except the distributor body, I flow-tested all the fuel injectors, and the engine has perfect compression to boot. The wires are all, as far as I can tell, intact because no amount of jostling them changed running conditions during the times it was running well. At this point, the only thing I haven't done is replace the catalytic converter. I did pop a couple of holes into the pipe fore of it and it didn't seem to do anything, not to mention the ZJ doesn't display symptoms of a failed cat (ie hesitation, stalling at high RPM, etc) but now the cat is clearly rattling so it's getting replaced. My O2 sensor code is Bank 1 Sensor 2 High Voltage. That is, it's reading higher than acceptable hydrocarbon emissions, which is suggestive of rich operation and/or impaired catalyst function. If it makes anyone feel better, I'll hit my ignition switch with my multimeter and post results. I don't believe I'm suffering from a shorting PCM or intermittent power loss, because it does store trouble codes. The original PCM did have damaged circuits and would randomly reset while driving, causing it to not store codes. You know you drive a ZJ when you've committed to sell it but you still have to do all these tests just to be sure.
My first PCM wouldn't read on an diagnostic tool. Second one would. But it was lazy. Lose spark. Lazy voltage regulator. And it always smelled like it was running rich.
Just bought my third one last Friday. And it's been great. Don't think I've ever felt it run as well now then when I bought it two years ago.

Not saying it is your PCM but never rule it out.

cgcarpenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-28-2013, 06:05 PM   #8957
somebody5788
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizophrenicMC View Post
My O2 sensor code is Bank 1 Sensor 2 High Voltage. That is, it's reading higher than acceptable hydrocarbon emissions, which is suggestive of rich operation and/or impaired catalyst function.
It could still be reading wrong.... The 5.2 I referred to earlier was catless when I got it and still is but with good O2's it doesn't have that code. It was also throwing the front one off causing it to run rich because they were in the same circuit.
Unread 10-29-2013, 09:49 AM   #8958
V65Ozzie
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepNicholson View Post
Mine beat a Veyron in the quarter mile by like 5 seconds
Maybe, but the Veyron sucked the paint off it when it passed you at 200........

Imma gonna drive one of those, someday......
Unread 10-29-2013, 11:06 AM   #8959
JeepNicholson
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by V65Ozzie View Post

Maybe, but the Veyron sucked the paint off it when it passed you at 200........

Imma gonna drive one of those, someday......
Veyron works better than aircraft stripper in that regard! Lol
JeepNicholson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-2013, 12:12 PM   #8960
SchizophrenicMC
1997 ZJ 

So I cut my cat off, and this is what the inside looked like:

So it's DEFINITELY not a clogged cat, and all of the sensors and PCM are new. This also explains why the tattletale sensor was reading a malfunctioning catalyst. What now?

Shoulda had a V8
SchizophrenicMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-2013, 01:19 PM   #8961
V65Ozzie
1998 ZJ 

Time to put an emulator in that thing..... magnumtuning.com
Unread 10-29-2013, 01:23 PM   #8962
SchizophrenicMC
1997 ZJ 

I think, since my money situation fell through just enough for me to not afford a JK, I might instead pursue finding a good V8 ZJ and swap all of my upgrade parts from Cheyenne over to that ZJ, including the 242, and return Cheyenne essentially to stock and recover some of my expense, while still keeping a ZJ. Sell Cheyenne for whatever I can get.

Any thoughts?

Shoulda had a V8
Unread 10-29-2013, 01:34 PM   #8963
Concolour
1994 ZJ 

When you see one for sale for two grand and you think "jeez, that's overpriced" then when you go to sell yours you post for fifteen hundred and get offended when people want to only pay 700
Concolour is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-2013, 02:05 PM   #8964
SchizophrenicMC
1997 ZJ 

I'd pay 2 grand for a good ZJ. I helped my buddy get a 97 Orvis for $2100.

But yeah, the harsh fact is, for all the money I've sunk into my ZJ, I won't get anything back out of it. Not like with TJs and JKs.

Shoulda had a V8
Unread 10-29-2013, 02:15 PM   #8965
comptiger5000
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
I think, since my money situation fell through just enough for me to not afford a JK, I might instead pursue finding a good V8 ZJ and swap all of my upgrade parts from Cheyenne over to that ZJ, including the 242, and return Cheyenne essentially to stock and recover some of my expense, while still keeping a ZJ. Sell Cheyenne for whatever I can get.

Any thoughts?
Not a bad idea. Finding one that's fairly solid as a starting point should make keeping up with any issues much, much easier. Maybe it's niner time?
comptiger5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-2013, 02:16 PM   #8966
comptiger5000
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
I'd pay 2 grand for a good ZJ. I helped my buddy get a 97 Orvis for $2100.

But yeah, the harsh fact is, for all the money I've sunk into my ZJ, I won't get anything back out of it. Not like with TJs and JKs.
Well, anything with a Wrangler badge is worth at least a few thousand $ even if it's got rust holes in the tub, chunks of frame missing and a blown motor.
comptiger5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-2013, 03:18 PM   #8967
SchizophrenicMC
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by comptiger5000 View Post
Not a bad idea. Finding one that's fairly solid as a starting point should make keeping up with any issues much, much easier. Maybe it's niner time?
It's always Niner Time. The tough part is finding a niner local for a reasonable price. I'm not gonna be able to buy anything until January, but I don't wanna blow all my cash into another Jeep all at once.

Of course my other aversion to a niner is they didn't sell them in green in the US, and I think Moss Green Pearl is the best color for a ZJ.

Shoulda had a V8
Unread 10-29-2013, 03:46 PM   #8968
smccloud
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizophrenicMC
It's always Niner Time. The tough part is finding a niner local for a reasonable price. I'm not gonna be able to buy anything until January, but I don't wanna blow all my cash into another Jeep all at once. Of course my other aversion to a niner is they didn't sell them in green in the US, and I think Moss Green Pearl is the best color for a ZJ.
I've seen a Niner I would walk away from if someone offered to pay me to take it. The body was so bad I'm guessing the drivetrain wasn't worth the time to pull out to swap into mine

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
smccloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-2013, 06:17 PM   #8969
rebelbowtie
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Concolour
When you see one for sale for two grand and you think "jeez, that's overpriced" then when you go to sell yours you post for fifteen hundred and get offended when people want to only pay 700
I feel the same way about XJ's (even though I paid $2500) but I always look on Craigslist and think none of them are worth more than $500-1,000
For he's just the U.S. Government's hired man.
rebelbowtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-2013, 11:33 PM   #8970
Myusername1674
Web Wheeler

1995 ZJ 

When you see a dumb jk parked at school and have to make a meme, 'cause we all know that pavement pounder never leaves the street poser

And when your bored you make this too. I really need to sleep...

My 5.9 swap (in progress)

Want your zj to be doorless in 60 seconds?
Myusername1674 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.