you know you drive a ZJ when... - Page 597 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > you know you drive a ZJ when...

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitThe Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Building a Bumper?

Unread 10-27-2013, 12:45 PM   #8941
WJ4x4LIFE

Going to cut in for a second, I have to say it seems not all folks care for their 20+ year old vehicles, what a shame. My woman loves the new ZJ, but not allowed to drive it...so you know you own/drive a ZJ, when SHE gets a

WJ4x4LIFE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-27-2013, 06:09 PM   #8942
970001zj
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95GCL View Post
Talk about hypocrisy, you just called your zj a boat. There's almost literally no way that can be said in a positive way.
land yacht
Quote:
Originally Posted by WJ4x4LIFE View Post
Going to cut in for a second, I have to say it seems not all folks care for their 20+ year old vehicles, what a shame. My woman loves the new ZJ, but not allowed to drive it...so you know you own/drive a ZJ, when SHE gets a

i encourage mine to drive it and a few times got her to flex it pretty good
970001zj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-27-2013, 06:48 PM   #8943
Maine1994ZJ
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 970001zj View Post
land yacht
I used to have plates on a crown vic that read: "LAND ARK"

They got lots of laughs!
Unread 10-27-2013, 08:40 PM   #8944
SchizophrenicMC
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by comptiger5000 View Post
Honestly, at just shy of 158k miles, my ZJ is still comfy, drives well, steering feels pretty good (slightly numb, but not terrible). It's still reliable, even when I beat on it a bit or put a ton of miles on it quickly (did 1300 miles in 10 days about a month ago). It's not perfect, but it's still pretty damn good for what it is and how well rounded its abilities are.
Even my ZJ is super comfy, and if I had my steering **** fixed, it'd be comparable to yours, and that's at 252k. However, it doesn't hold a candle to the V6 WK2 I testdrove a few months ago. And that didn't even have its seats broken in yet. Such is the case of old vs new.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95GCL View Post
Talk about hypocrisy, you just called your zj a boat. There's almost literally no way that can be said in a positive way.

@schizophrenicMC it sounds like your zj just has a number of common issues you can fix, but you are choosing not to?
I have a lot of common issues, and at $5,000 worth of trying to fix them, I can't justify any more money. I've been through the dirty dozen at least once per item (4 PCMs later, I'm still having PCM failures), my suspension is falling apart faster than I can replace it, the transmission is a time bomb, both my axles are chirping tires for reasons beyond my understanding, I'm pretty sure the t-case isn't cycling all the way out of 4Hi, the paint is beat to hell, I have a mismatched door, and the fuel pump is about dead to boot. Maybe mine is just a lemon, but it's a money pit and I can't justify it anymore. In August alone, I spent $2,000 on repair items. Not upgrades, not labor. Repairs. For a vehicle I purchased for $1200 with 243,000 miles on the clock.

I could have done a lot of other things with $6,000 than buy a ZJ and fix it for a year and a half. The fact that I've stuck with it this long, I think, sheds some light on my character, and the fact that I'm still coming to grips with having to sell it in spite of what it's cost me says equally as much.

If anyone wants to contribute to the Save Schizo's Jeep Foundation, we're accepting charitable donations.

Shoulda had a V8
SchizophrenicMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-28-2013, 03:57 AM   #8945
ejschultz
Web Wheeler

1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizophrenicMC View Post
I have a lot of common issues, and at $5,000 worth of trying to fix them, I can't justify any more money. I've been through the dirty dozen at least once per item (4 PCMs later, I'm still having PCM failures), my suspension is falling apart faster than I can replace it, the transmission is a time bomb, both my axles are chirping tires for reasons beyond my understanding, I'm pretty sure the t-case isn't cycling all the way out of 4Hi, the paint is beat to hell, I have a mismatched door, and the fuel pump is about dead to boot. Maybe mine is just a lemon, but it's a money pit and I can't justify it anymore. In August alone, I spent $2,000 on repair items. Not upgrades, not labor. Repairs. For a vehicle I purchased for $1200 with 243,000 miles on the clock.

I could have done a lot of other things with $6,000 than buy a ZJ and fix it for a year and a half. The fact that I've stuck with it this long, I think, sheds some light on my character, and the fact that I'm still coming to grips with having to sell it in spite of what it's cost me says equally as much.

If anyone wants to contribute to the Save Schizo's Jeep Foundation, we're accepting charitable donations.
Sounds kinda like it belongs in a junkyard... Don't tell me you're actually going to sell that and pass all the issues onto someone else.
ejschultz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-28-2013, 06:43 AM   #8946
JeepNicholson
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine1994ZJ View Post

I used to have plates on a crown vic that read: "LAND ARK"

They got lots of laughs!
Agreed, but calling a Crown Vic a boat makes a hell of a lot more sense than calling a Jeep a boat.
JeepNicholson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-28-2013, 07:33 AM   #8947
somebody5788
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
I feel like I just watched a mini van climb a small hill.
Unread 10-28-2013, 07:40 AM   #8948
somebody5788
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejschultz View Post
Sounds kinda like it belongs in a junkyard... Don't tell me you're actually going to sell that and pass all the issues onto someone else.
No it sounds like he needs to bring it to someone who actually knows what the hell they're doing. There's no way that there is a single driveability issue that shouldn't be able to be fixed for under $200 on a ZJ. The engine is very simple and the parts are cheap.
Unread 10-28-2013, 08:00 AM   #8949
xrunndonex
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebody5788 View Post

I feel like I just watched a mini van climb a small hill.
Enjoy https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFwP...ube_gdata_play
xrunndonex is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-28-2013, 08:27 AM   #8950
somebody5788
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrunndonex View Post
BADASS, and completely on topic! hahaha. Just goes to prove that when you don't have all the driver assists like the WK2 has it's not a lack of capability, it's a challenge and just takes a better driver.
Unread 10-28-2013, 08:32 AM   #8951
dnuccio
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrunndonex View Post
alright I have officially seen it all
Unread 10-28-2013, 10:23 AM   #8952
SchizophrenicMC
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejschultz View Post
I've got a friend who's interested and patient enough to use it as a learning experience.
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebody5788 View Post
No it sounds like he needs to bring it to someone who actually knows what the hell they're doing. There's no way that there is a single driveability issue that shouldn't be able to be fixed for under $200 on a ZJ. The engine is very simple and the parts are cheap.
Hey, up yours, buddy. Sure, any single driveability issue could be fixed for $200 or less, but the thing is FULL of them. I've spent a total of $300 in labor for the thing, and all of that is muffler shops welding new mufflers in. The rest is parts, lots and lots of failing parts. The engine is simple, but I haven't even had to get into the engine, because mechanically its only problem is a piston slap in cylinder 3 or 4. It's the damn EFI that's killing me, that and the fact that the suspension keeps falling apart. I could deal with the suspension if I could just keep this *******ed Jeep running without its computer systems all going lazy on me.

Like I said, I went all the way through the dirty dozen, and more than once in a few categories. Its problems persist. I again state, if you want to help, the Save Schizo's Jeep Foundation is accepting charity. If you don't have anything helpful to add, then worry about your own Jeep before making snide remarks about mine or my abilities as an automotive technician.

Shoulda had a V8
Unread 10-28-2013, 10:45 AM   #8953
xrunndonex
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
I've got a friend who's interested and patient enough to use it as a learning experience.

Hey, up yours, buddy. Sure, any single driveability issue could be fixed for $200 or less, but the thing is FULL of them. I've spent a total of $300 in labor for the thing, and all of that is muffler shops welding new mufflers in. The rest is parts, lots and lots of failing parts. The engine is simple, but I haven't even had to get into the engine, because mechanically its only problem is a piston slap in cylinder 3 or 4. It's the damn EFI that's killing me, that and the fact that the suspension keeps falling apart. I could deal with the suspension if I could just keep this *******ed Jeep running without its computer systems all going lazy on me.

Like I said, I went all the way through the dirty dozen, and more than once in a few categories. Its problems persist. I again state, if you want to help, the Save Schizo's Jeep Foundation is accepting charity. If you don't have anything helpful to add, then worry about your own Jeep before making snide remarks about mine or my abilities as an automotive technician.
Did you change the o2s
xrunndonex is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-28-2013, 11:04 AM   #8954
somebody5788
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
I know I was harsh and offensive but for $5000 you could have had a remanufactured engine with all brand new sensors. I don't want to be an ******* about it but I work full time as a tech and we get these kinds of problems in ALL the time. Even from other shops that don't know what they're doing. Since you're doing the work yourself it's either inexperience or overlooking something that you "already fixed". We've all been there, it sucks because it means you spend a lot of time tracking down something else when it was something easy the whole time.

It's obvious that you're fed up with the Jeep due to the frustration of not being able to track it down yourself but I really don't think it's the Jeeps fault. If we weren't 1000's of miles apart I'd have you bring it to my shop and get it taken care of once and for all.

I read through your thread and I see a bunch of things that could still be the cause. You could have a faulty ignition switch or losing power to ECM intermittently. Both of those would be my first place to check with the problem you're listing and would cause all of the problems you listed. Another potential is the O2 code, if the O2 is shorted out (I've seen this before on 5.2's, my 4.0 experience is mostly OBD1) the O2 could be shorting the ECU out and causing these issues as well. I've had brand new O2's that were shorted out. You have to test them with a volt meter and ohm meter to know for sure.

/thread hijacking
Unread 10-28-2013, 01:25 PM   #8955
SchizophrenicMC
1997 ZJ 

I have all new sensors, that's the problem. TPS, CPS, CKS, UO2, DO2, IAT, MAP, CTS, and even the OPS and knock sensor for good measure. The only sensor still original is the speed sensor, because it's the only one I can prove is reading properly. I'm 4 PCMs into it, I've replaced everything related to the ignition except the distributor body, I flow-tested all the fuel injectors, and the engine has perfect compression to boot. The wires are all, as far as I can tell, intact because no amount of jostling them changed running conditions during the times it was running well. At this point, the only thing I haven't done is replace the catalytic converter. I did pop a couple of holes into the pipe fore of it and it didn't seem to do anything, not to mention the ZJ doesn't display symptoms of a failed cat (ie hesitation, stalling at high RPM, etc) but now the cat is clearly rattling so it's getting replaced.

My O2 sensor code is Bank 1 Sensor 2 High Voltage. That is, it's reading higher than acceptable hydrocarbon emissions, which is suggestive of rich operation and/or impaired catalyst function.

If it makes anyone feel better, I'll hit my ignition switch with my multimeter and post results. I don't believe I'm suffering from a shorting PCM or intermittent power loss, because it does store trouble codes. The original PCM did have damaged circuits and would randomly reset while driving, causing it to not store codes.

You know you drive a ZJ when you've committed to sell it but you still have to do all these tests just to be sure.

Shoulda had a V8

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.