you know you drive a ZJ when... - Page 525 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > you know you drive a ZJ when...

Building a Bumper?Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 06-25-2013, 01:35 PM   #7861
moparlover1992
1995 ZJ 

Thanks. Except it's a brand new case... I think the output shaft seal is leaking, I saw fluid on the driveshaft and then when I drive it it whips it onto the floorboard. Based on the pattern of the fluid. And either the input seal on the t case or output on the tranny is leaking a tad too. I'm hoping since they're new seals they will get wet and then stop the fluid once they're moist and broke in a bit? Idk... Maybe I'm just thinking this way cause worst case its a lot of work for me in the near future lol. I'm just going to add fluid as needed and keep an eye on it over the course of the week and hope it decides to be nice to me and stop leaking. Transmission itself looks dry after further examination. Seems the transfer case is the culprit.

95 zj 5.2 np242 3.5'' IRO lift, IRO adjustable arms, KOR front trackbar, steering stabilizer and box brace, IRO rear adjustable trackbar, bilsteins, Hughes plenum plate, flow master 40, 31x10.5s on 15'' dc-2 rims
Mopar or no car!
moparlover1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2013, 02:27 PM   #7862
txbass06
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucsonzj View Post
Conversation with a coworker about why I'm missing my front bumper, I said why are you missing 4 cylinders lol
Had the same conversation with a guy that lives next to my mom that drives a wj. Then I had to point out the differences between mine and his before he'd stop saying we drove the same kind of "car"
txbass06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2013, 02:58 PM   #7863
98ZJOKC

Quote:
Originally Posted by moparlover1992 View Post
I'm just going to add fluid as needed and keep an eye on it over the course of the week and hope it decides to be nice to me and stop leaking.
You know you drive a ZJ if you've ever prayed to the Jeep Gods that your ride will stop wee weeing on your garage floor.
98ZJOKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2013, 03:07 PM   #7864
rebelbowtie
Frameless and Shameless

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by txbass06

Had the same conversation with a guy that lives next to my mom that drives a wj. Then I had to point out the differences between mine and his before he'd stop saying we drove the same kind of "car"
But you guys do drive the same kind of "car" just different model years.
For he's just the U.S. Government's hired man.
rebelbowtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2013, 03:41 PM   #7865
moparlover1992
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98ZJOKC View Post

You know you drive a ZJ if you've ever prayed to the Jeep Gods that your ride will stop wee weeing on your garage floor.
Haha yep
95 zj 5.2 np242 3.5'' IRO lift, IRO adjustable arms, KOR front trackbar, steering stabilizer and box brace, IRO rear adjustable trackbar, bilsteins, Hughes plenum plate, flow master 40, 31x10.5s on 15'' dc-2 rims
Mopar or no car!
moparlover1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2013, 06:51 PM   #7866
SchizophrenicMC
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin600 View Post
I dislike it when people don't call mine the Jeep. because it's the same idiots that call a Frontera (Isuzu wizard) or other 4x4 a "Jeep" and that really annoys me.
That's an Aussie problem. (And it's Isuzu Rodeo in the states. Lots of names, that one. Wizard, HOV Frontera, Rodeo, Amigo, Honda Passport)

Again, my best friend drives a Rodeo. I'm forced to know these things.

I'm real jealous of the guy, though. He's got a D44 from the factory. You know you drive a ZJ when you don't even have a D44 option and have to look at a Ford 8.8 for an affordable axle that's stronger than the ****ty 35 in the rear.

Shoulda had a V8
SchizophrenicMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2013, 10:37 PM   #7867
BuzzZJ9er
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizophrenicMC

That's an Aussie problem. (And it's Isuzu Rodeo in the states. Lots of names, that one. Wizard, HOV Frontera, Rodeo, Amigo, Honda Passport)

I'm real jealous of the guy, though. He's got a D44 from the factory. You know you drive a ZJ when you don't even have a D44 option and have to look at a Ford 8.8 for an affordable axle that's stronger than the ****ty 35 in the rear.
96-98 v8s have a d44a..
BuzzZJ9er is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2013, 11:01 PM   #7868
CareyKimber
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzzZJ9er

96-98 v8s have a d44a..
Yep, Mine has one.
Unread 06-25-2013, 11:41 PM   #7869
dnuccio
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzzZJ9er View Post
96-98 v8s have a d44a..
yeah but the iron 44s have a reasonable amount of aftermarket. 44a's have what, 2 lockers? 3 if you count a lincoln locker?
Unread 06-26-2013, 01:09 AM   #7870
BuzzZJ9er
1998 ZJ 

True... Didn't take that into consideration when I replied.
BuzzZJ9er is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2013, 03:57 AM   #7871
ejschultz
Web Wheeler

1997 ZJ 

44a is stronger than a 44. The ring and pinion in a 44a are almost as big as the ring and pinion in a 60. The downsides to the 44a are the aluminum housing and the lack of aftermarket support. I have an Aussie in mine and I'm building a skid for it for protection. I have no plans on swapping mine out for something else.
ejschultz is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2013, 08:18 AM   #7872
Martin600
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizophrenicMC View Post

Haha yeah I knew it had lots of names for all the different markets.

This name confusion is a big problem in the UK.

Same story when people call my Peugeot 106 a "saxo". it's the same underneath but still, it's NOT a saxo. i'm a badge snob when it comes to things like that
Martin600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2013, 08:22 AM   #7873
SchizophrenicMC
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzzZJ9er View Post
96-98 v8s have a d44a..
Second-generation Rodeos all have the iron 44, with all the aftermarket benefits that provides, and I think it's a 58.5" axle, which is just under the size of the ZJ axle. Not to mention, they come geared 4.10 or 4.36. I think the Trooper of the same years has the same axle, but with available 4.56 gears. Plus, they'll use any D44 locker and shafts. Not to mention, having driven V8 ZJs and my buddy's Rodeo, the Rodeo posi feels like it has a better idea of what it's doing in the slick than the 44A. Just a consideration.

The D44A may be stronger and equipped in ZJs, but it's got no aftermarket for gears, lockers, or shafts, and that aluminum housing is scary without being trussed and skid-plated.

I'd totally go with a Rodeo 44 if I had welding equipment and wanted to regear it. As it stands, I'm looking at an Explorer 8.8 from East Coast Gears that's modified for ZJs and TJs and has my gear ratio, for $950 refurbished including various options I want. I hear the 8.8 is stronger than the 44 anyway. (Even if it is a c-clip axle)

Shoulda had a V8
SchizophrenicMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2013, 10:42 AM   #7874
Elias4WDCenter

If I were going to modify my V8 ZJ, I would not spend any money on my d44a if I planned to go bigger than 31s. Housing rigidity is absent. I would treat this the same as a d35. 31s and no locker.

8.8 vs d44 - One has a marginally stronger, c-clip shaft, if it is a 31 spline. Sometimes, the 8.8 gets the win on shaft strength. One has a stronger housing that does not flex, the d44. Apples to apples - stock versions will fail around the same power/tire/traction combination.

So spring for the d60 bolt in from ECGS - they're a beautiful unit, the correct width, surprisingly good ground clearance and NONE of the weaknesses.
You know you're driving a ZJ when you need to bring home the 'clean' 4.0 stocker (your wife's) to get your own 'dirty' one to get a used carpet for your XJ. You know it's not the most efficient way to do things, but you gotta drive the dirty V8 - because V8.
Sales, Service & Installation - Suspension, Accessories, Wheels and Tires, Recovery Gear, Bumpers. WE SET UP AXLES, GEARS and LOCKERS. (And we'll work on your mother-in-law's Honda so you can wrench on your Jeep!) 978-597-8432 Mon - Thurs, 8 a.m. to 6 p.m.
Townsend, MA. Tell us Jeep Forum sent you!
Elias4WDCenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2013, 10:43 AM   #7875
Elias4WDCenter

The second gen Rodeo is a great source for a used 44 to build.
Sales, Service & Installation - Suspension, Accessories, Wheels and Tires, Recovery Gear, Bumpers. WE SET UP AXLES, GEARS and LOCKERS. (And we'll work on your mother-in-law's Honda so you can wrench on your Jeep!) 978-597-8432 Mon - Thurs, 8 a.m. to 6 p.m.
Townsend, MA. Tell us Jeep Forum sent you!
Elias4WDCenter is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.