you know you drive a ZJ when... - Page 414 - JeepForum.com

 2Likes
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #6196 of 10778 Old 03-17-2013, 03:39 PM
LunaMoona
Registered User
1993 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Durango, Colorado
Posts: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnuccio View Post
his whole argument is that there's more room in a ZJ to turbo a 4.0 then to supercharge a 5.2/5.9
From what I've seen, the power output from a turbo L6 that was properly built and tuned will still make less power than a built 318, let alone a built 360. That's without forced induction.

LunaMoona is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #6197 of 10778 Old 03-17-2013, 03:40 PM
S8NNG8
Kustom Phabrication
 
S8NNG8's Avatar
1995 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Helena
Posts: 8,240
Quote:
Originally Posted by comptiger5000 View Post

Uh, no. The bodies are identical, there was no extra reinforcement, not even different suspension on the 5.9.
Not true, 5.9's got a 1" taller Overland lift suspension

D3<!L!>3D
S8NNG8 is online now  
post #6198 of 10778 Old 03-17-2013, 03:41 PM
comptiger5000
Registered User
1998 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 4,556
Quote:
Originally Posted by S8NNG8 View Post
Not true, 5.9's got a 1" taller Overland lift suspension
Nope. Orvises got the upcountry package standard, but the upcountry springs were actually not available on 5.9s. You could option tow hooks and skids, but not the taller springs.
comptiger5000 is offline  
post #6199 of 10778 Old 03-17-2013, 03:44 PM
S8NNG8
Kustom Phabrication
 
S8NNG8's Avatar
1995 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Helena
Posts: 8,240
Quote:
Originally Posted by comptiger5000 View Post

Nope. Orvises got the upcountry package standard, but the upcountry springs were actually not available on 5.9s. You could option tow hooks and skids, but not the taller springs.
That's right, Upcountry, not Overland. But MTBlue came to my house with his niner yesterday ... it's taller and both ZJ's are stock.

D3<!L!>3D
S8NNG8 is online now  
post #6200 of 10778 Old 03-17-2013, 03:48 PM
comptiger5000
Registered User
1998 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 4,556
Quote:
Originally Posted by S8NNG8 View Post
That's right, Upcountry, not Overland. But MTBlue came to my house with his niner yesterday ... it's taller and both ZJ's are stock.
It might have had upcountry springs put on it after the fact. I can confirm that my niner didn't come with them (no hooks/skids either), nor my parts niner (which had tow hooks and skids), nor any other I know of, even those with the hooks and skids.
comptiger5000 is offline  
post #6201 of 10778 Old 03-17-2013, 03:55 PM
S8NNG8
Kustom Phabrication
 
S8NNG8's Avatar
1995 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Helena
Posts: 8,240
Quote:
Originally Posted by comptiger5000 View Post

It might have had upcountry springs put on it after the fact. I can confirm that my niner didn't come with them (no hooks/skids either), nor my parts niner (which had tow hooks and skids), nor any other I know of, even those with the hooks and skids.
It was a pretty obvious difference, mine looks like "Moms" and his niner looked like "Dads". His is also an unlimited, would that change anything?
Anyway, if YOU were manufacturing 3 levels of production, wouldn't you reinforce the strongest model more than the weakest model?

D3<!L!>3D
S8NNG8 is online now  
post #6202 of 10778 Old 03-17-2013, 04:00 PM
davigzj
Registered User
1997 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Monroe
Posts: 817
Well Great if your gonna do all that you better beef up the suspension points anyway just like anything else you'd put that kind of blown power in front of or youll rip something off...been there done that...when u start going EXTREME you start breaking STOCK parts no matter what it was stock...
davigzj is offline  
post #6203 of 10778 Old 03-17-2013, 04:05 PM
Midnightluckey
Registered User
1995 ZJ 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 1,327
Quote:
Originally Posted by comptiger5000

Uh, no. The bodies are identical, there was no extra reinforcement, not even different suspension on the 5.9.
Well, the suspension on the 5.9 is the same as the 5.2, but a 4.0 definitely has different springs with different spring rates.

95 Limited Chargold ZJ 5.2L -5.5" lift (IRO, Ironman, and RC parts), 33" BFG M/T's, 15x8 procomp crawlers, 242 swap, 2 12" subs, 1000w amp, cherry bomb, full skid package, Kevins rear stealth bumper clone w 3/4" D rings, Rlcwelding front bumper w 3/8" D rings, XRC-8, front tow hooks, 2 daylighter fairlead lights, 2 daylighter windsheild lights, 2 55w driving lights, OBA, Cobra 18 CB, dual 4' whips, RC disconnects, smittybuilt jack, optima yellowtop.
Built not bought #512
Midnightluckey is offline  
post #6204 of 10778 Old 03-17-2013, 05:55 PM
Concolour
Registered User
1994 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Calgary
Posts: 610
And thus the ykydazj falls into chaos -.- following the fate of many a thread
Concolour is offline  
post #6205 of 10778 Old 03-17-2013, 06:22 PM
nickpequignot
Registered User
1996 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: columbia city
Posts: 2,829
Hey everyone. There's no room under the hood of a v8 zj for boost....

image-2083959966.jpg



image-763397641.jpg


image-4205382516.jpg

Yeah twins and custom headers. But it still can be done

96 limited build thread-http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/96-limited-build-1351732/
nickpequignot is offline  
post #6206 of 10778 Old 03-17-2013, 06:31 PM
TurboTPI
Registered User
1995 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Bensenville
Posts: 575
Quote:
Originally Posted by LunaMoona

From what I've seen, the power output from a turbo L6 that was properly built and tuned will still make less power than a built 318, let alone a built 360. That's without forced induction.
Not true. A stock 4.0l with a turbo at 10lbs of boost is dyno proven to make 400hp and over 450ft/lbs, let alone a purpose built 4.0l for boost. This is a built turbo 4.0l, please, please show me any magnum v8 come close to this
Attached Thumbnails
image-3562041767.jpg  

02 WJ Limited 4.7l HO-stock (Hers)
95 ZJ 4.0 Turbo-up 5.5 on 33x12.5's, Ford 8.8 w/Artec truss (His)
92 Firebird Formula custom turbo setup (His)
09 Polaris Dragon 800 (His)
TurboTPI is offline  
post #6207 of 10778 Old 03-17-2013, 06:32 PM
orangeafroman
Registered User
1995 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Pinon, AZ
Posts: 292
...when you're driving down I-17 and the front drive shaft FALLS OFF onto the highway and your transfer case is ripped to shreds.

I love my jeep, but this is stupid.
orangeafroman is offline  
post #6208 of 10778 Old 03-17-2013, 06:47 PM
dnuccio
Registered User
1995 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 3,483
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeafroman View Post
...when you're driving down I-17 and the front drive shaft FALLS OFF onto the highway and your transfer case is ripped to shreds.

I love my jeep, but this is stupid.
pics or it didnt happen

Reliability is relative
R.I.P. Ratmonkey
dnuccio is offline  
post #6209 of 10778 Old 03-17-2013, 07:01 PM
LunaMoona
Registered User
1993 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Durango, Colorado
Posts: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboTPI View Post
Not true. A stock 4.0l with a turbo at 10lbs of boost is dyno proven to make 400hp and over 450ft/lbs, let alone a purpose built 4.0l for boost. This is a built turbo 4.0l, please, please show me any magnum v8 come close to this
Please tell me what your definition of 'built' is.
LunaMoona is offline  
post #6210 of 10778 Old 03-17-2013, 07:20 PM
Concolour
Registered User
1994 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Calgary
Posts: 610
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboTPI

Not true. A stock 4.0l with a turbo at 10lbs of boost is dyno proven to make 400hp and over 450ft/lbs, let alone a purpose built 4.0l for boost. This is a built turbo 4.0l, please, please show me any magnum v8 come close to this
With the right money you could probably double that in a v8
Concolour is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome