you know you drive a ZJ when... - Page 413 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > you know you drive a ZJ when...

All Bilstein shocks & struts - Lowest Prices Ever and Santa Kolak Announces: Kolak Exhaust 20% Off Sale!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 03-17-2013, 11:56 AM   #6181
S8NNG8
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickpequignot View Post

He is so contradicting on him self when he posts.....
Schizo

Unread 03-17-2013, 12:11 PM   #6182
noodles5124

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnuccio
I used to think the ZJs engine bay was tight with the v8, then I worked on a Hyundai Tiburon in auto shop. The entire passenger side front suspension has to be disassembled to replace the alternator.
Had to pull the axle the do the alternator in a ford escape
noodles5124 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-17-2013, 12:38 PM   #6183
McCloudsZJ
Because RaceJeep

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightluckey View Post
If you had ever spent all of five minutes working on a full size Chevrolet van, you wouldn't have one bad thing to say about the engine bay in a Zj. The one we used to had must've had something like a 16" hood.
This one takes the cake. I've worked on some stupid cars in my past
  • 2002 VW Bug--Wheels and fenders have to come off to get at the radiator
  • 2001 Mini Cooper--PS Pump... This one still gives me nightmares
  • 2001 Hyundai Elantra--Tried to eat me alive. I have scars up to my elbows from replacing the timing chain.
  • 1999 Nissan Maxima--To remove the alternator, the car has to be up in the air, front wheel removed, wheel wells removed, AC compressor totally removed, PS pump relocated
  • 2009 Chevy 2500 Van--**** that van. There's a V8 somewhere under there...

So... You know you own a ZJ when you can appreciate just how spacious the engine bay is. It's not quite like my old truck where I could sit on the bumper, put both feet on the frame rails, and just work on the 318 all day long, but it's really not that bad.
On the Jeep:Hot intake, 52mm TB, Summit 8mm wires, catch can, 703s, insulated fuel rails, indexed Champions, Bilstein 4600s, Eibach lowering springs, Moog SS, Ironman mounts, Lotek 2GP, lots of gauges, sparkly paint.
In the garage: M1 4bbl
In the works: Addco/Hellwig sway bars, nitrous, full polly bushings, full exhaust, data logging, billet UD pulleys
McCloudsZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-17-2013, 12:47 PM   #6184
S8NNG8
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Don't the V8's have more pulley clearance than the I6?
Unread 03-17-2013, 12:52 PM   #6185
Concolour
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizophrenicMC

No, it was rear-ended. We had to cut the downpipes because there's no getting at the bolts that connect them to the manifolds, normally, and the bolts were rusted shut anyway. The downpipes kept catching on the UCA mounts and passenger side motor mount. The 4.0 would have come out with the whole exhaust still attached, I reckon.

Problem with the V8 is it was added as an afterthought. It was designed for a truck big enough that you can sit in the engine bay and change the spark plugs, not a midsize SUV, and that fact shows. Hell, it was such an afterthought, they didn't even have production sorted when the ZJ launched in late '92. It wasn't until, I wanna say, February '93 when they started rolling off the line with V8s.

The ZJ was designed around the 4.0 platform and it shows. It may not be as powerful or torquey as the V8, but it fits better, and a forced induction L6 is less passe than a blown V8.
When a vehicle lands on the dealership lot has nothing to do with how ready they are. It's largely to do with assembly line capacities. Hell, we just started receiving 3.6 rams a few weeks ago. And let me tell you, that wasn't an afterthought
Concolour is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-17-2013, 01:54 PM   #6186
dnuccio
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by S8NNG8 View Post
Don't the V8's have more pulley clearance than the I6?
I believe so
Unread 03-17-2013, 02:47 PM   #6187
davigzj
1997 ZJ 

"bristol is racing"
davigzj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-17-2013, 03:34 PM   #6188
nickpequignot
1996 ZJ 

When over spring break,instead of going anywhere you volunteer to work and are going to work a ton of hours and make a bunch of money so you can buy a dd and treat the jeep like a jeep should.
Unread 03-17-2013, 04:28 PM   #6189
LunaMoona
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizophrenicMC View Post

The ZJ was designed around the 4.0 platform and it shows. It may not be as powerful or torquey as the V8, but it fits better, and a forced induction L6 is less passe than a blown V8.
Well, first of all, by forced induction I assume you mean a turbo, and a turbo is just a different kind of supercharger.

Secondly, most "passe" blown V8s will blow the doors off of those "unique" turbo L6s. But hey, do whatever makes you happy...
LunaMoona is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-17-2013, 04:32 PM   #6190
S8NNG8
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LunaMoona View Post

Well, first of all, by forced induction I assume you mean a turbo, and a turbo is just a different kind of supercharger.

Secondly, most "passe" blown V8s will blow the doors off of those "unique" turbo L6. But hey, do whatever makes you happy...
I think his point was the unibody was never built to handle the power of a blown V8. It'd be within its limits with a turbo I6
Unread 03-17-2013, 04:34 PM   #6191
nickpequignot
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by S8NNG8

I think his point was the unibody was never built to handle the power of a blown V8. It'd be within its limits with a turbo I6
Yeah it will defiantly hold up to a blown v8.its been done so many times that if there were a problem that would happen. It would have already.
Unread 03-17-2013, 04:34 PM   #6192
dnuccio
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LunaMoona View Post

Secondly, most "passe" blown V8s will blow the doors off of those "unique" turbo L6s. But hey, do whatever makes you happy...
his whole argument is that there's more room in a ZJ to turbo a 4.0 then to supercharge a 5.2/5.9
Unread 03-17-2013, 04:35 PM   #6193
LunaMoona
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Which is bull****. The ZJ can handle power perfectly fine.

But I think I get what you're saying.
LunaMoona is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-17-2013, 04:37 PM   #6194
S8NNG8
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickpequignot View Post

Yeah it will defiantly hold up to a blown v8.
A 5.9 might handle, those bodys got some reinforcement. But like mine, which came with a 4.0, the body strength got some cost cuts.
Unread 03-17-2013, 04:38 PM   #6195
comptiger5000
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
A 5.9 might handle, those bodys got some reinforcement. But like mine, which came with a 4.0, the body strength got some cost cuts.
Uh, no. The bodies are identical, there was no extra reinforcement, not even different suspension on the 5.9.
comptiger5000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.