you know you drive a ZJ when... - Page 412 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > you know you drive a ZJ when...

Halloween Savings to die for!THE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15”/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 03-15-2013, 09:46 PM   #6166
davigzj
Have ZJ will Travel

1997 ZJ 

Junk pile...i started keeping mine n taking in myself why give away GAS money..last year made over 300.00 and if id wouldn't have given alot to the srappers when we moved probably would had 700 or more i had some good junk!!

davigzj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-16-2013, 03:53 PM   #6167
Maine1994ZJ
1993 ZJ 

When you wheel equally as well in places where a F&R locked TJ and JK can go. All while having F&R open diffs on the ZJ....
Unread 03-16-2013, 05:29 PM   #6168
xrunndonex
1994 ZJ 

This oil filter adapter us winning this week long fight
xrunndonex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-16-2013, 06:59 PM   #6169
ejschultz
Web Wheeler

1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine1994ZJ View Post
When you wheel equally as well in places where a F&R locked TJ and JK can go. All while having F&R open diffs on the ZJ....
You know you drive a ZJ when you believe this until you get screwed by your break over angle.
ejschultz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-16-2013, 07:05 PM   #6170
comptiger5000
1998 ZJ 

You send 7 hours working on it in 30* weather with it flurrying most of the time.
comptiger5000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-16-2013, 07:23 PM   #6171
Maine1994ZJ
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejschultz View Post
You know you drive a ZJ when you believe this until you get screwed by your break over angle.
The only issue I had keeping up with them today was the loose nut behind my steering wheel....

I did make a couple bad line choices, which got me hung up, but other than that they kept telling me how amazed they were with the ZJ's capabilities!!
Unread 03-16-2013, 08:56 PM   #6172
Midnightluckey
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizophrenicMC

First off, let it be known that the 5.2 is way too big for the ZJ as it is. The amount of **** I had to cut to get the V8 out of the donor is ridiculous. This lack of space means there's nowhere to practically put a supercharger, or really much of anything into that engine bay. Your only options are to go NA. Maybe you could get a remote turbo in there. The stock niner makes 245hp from the factory, on 93 octane. You can push this to 300 with some effort. The 4.0 makes 185hp on 87 octane, but I figure with some doing, I could get it to 300 on 93, just the same, but with some creativity instead of an additional 2 liters of displacement.

With the 4.0, you can stroke, port, super, or turbo, and still have room in the bay. That leftover space means a damn lot when you're actually working on stuff. Plus you can't have a sleeper with a 5.9, especially if you run forced induction on it. You'd have to cut the hood open for the blower. Subtlety is important to me as well.

The 4.0 leaves you more options as a Jeeper, and has pretty much the same level of options for actually building the motor than the V8s available, meaning you do have more options for it.

All I wanna know now is how am I gonna make a 42RE hold the kind of power I want?
Was this donor of yours badly wrecked in the front end? Sorry I just don't see how the v8 actually requires cutting to remove? What did you have to cut?

If you had ever spent all of five minutes working on a full size Chevrolet van, you wouldn't have one bad thing to say about the engine bay in a Zj. The one we used to had must've had something like a 16" hood.
95 Limited Chargold ZJ 5.2L -5.5" lift (IRO, Ironman, and RC parts), 33" BFG M/T's, 15x8 procomp crawlers, 242 swap, 2 12" subs, 1000w amp, cherry bomb, full skid package, Kevins rear stealth bumper clone w 3/4" D rings, Rlcwelding front bumper w 3/8" D rings, XRC-8, front tow hooks, 2 daylighter fairlead lights, 2 daylighter windsheild lights, 2 55w driving lights, OBA, Cobra 18 CB, dual 4' whips, RC disconnects, smittybuilt jack, optima yellowtop.
Built not bought #512
Midnightluckey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-16-2013, 08:58 PM   #6173
ejschultz
Web Wheeler

1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine1994ZJ View Post
The only issue I had keeping up with them today was the loose nut behind my steering wheel....

I did make a couple bad line choices, which got me hung up, but other than that they kept telling me how amazed they were with the ZJ's capabilities!!
I'm not saying they're not incredible vehicles wheeling. I surprised all the TJ and JK guys when I followed them through almost everything at Cliffs Insane Terrain. The only time I got stuck was when I high centered myself going over an obstacle the TJ in front of me cleared without an issue. A shorter wheelbase would have had it for me. I wouldn't trade my ZJ for anything though. I like being different.
ejschultz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-16-2013, 09:05 PM   #6174
Maine1994ZJ
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejschultz View Post
I'm not saying they're not incredible vehicles wheeling. I surprised all the TJ and JK guys when I followed them through almost everything at Cliffs Insane Terrain. The only time I got stuck was when I high centered myself going over an obstacle the TJ in front of me cleared without an issue. A shorter wheelbase would have had it for me. I wouldn't trade my ZJ for anything though. I like being different.
Yeah, the only thing I ever get hung up on is my T-case skid....
Unread 03-16-2013, 11:43 PM   #6175
davigzj
Have ZJ will Travel

1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightluckey View Post

Was this donor of yours badly wrecked in the front end? Sorry I just don't see how the v8 actually requires cutting to remove? What did you have to cut?

If you had ever spent all of five minutes working on a full size Chevrolet van, you wouldn't have one bad thing to say about the engine bay in a Zj. The one we used to had must've had something like a 16" hood.
Oh!! Bad memories ha.. done that one also a 60s era ford that the motor come out the passenger side DOOR...not fun!
davigzj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-17-2013, 09:26 AM   #6176
dnuccio
1995 ZJ 

I used to think the ZJs engine bay was tight with the v8, then I worked on a Hyundai Tiburon in auto shop. The entire passenger side front suspension has to be disassembled to replace the alternator.
Unread 03-17-2013, 09:26 AM   #6177
SchizophrenicMC
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightluckey View Post

No, it was rear-ended. We had to cut the downpipes because there's no getting at the bolts that connect them to the manifolds, normally, and the bolts were rusted shut anyway. The downpipes kept catching on the UCA mounts and passenger side motor mount. The 4.0 would have come out with the whole exhaust still attached, I reckon.

Problem with the V8 is it was added as an afterthought. It was designed for a truck big enough that you can sit in the engine bay and change the spark plugs, not a midsize SUV, and that fact shows. Hell, it was such an afterthought, they didn't even have production sorted when the ZJ launched in late '92. It wasn't until, I wanna say, February '93 when they started rolling off the line with V8s.

The ZJ was designed around the 4.0 platform and it shows. It may not be as powerful or torquey as the V8, but it fits better, and a forced induction L6 is less passe than a blown V8.

Because tacky green leather is SUPER COOL
SchizophrenicMC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-17-2013, 09:28 AM   #6178
comptiger5000
1998 ZJ 

The downpipe bolts are perfectly accessible, it just requires a bit of dickery with about a foot and a half of extensions on a ratchet, lying on your back under the Jeep with a box wrench on the top of the bolt. Getting the downpipe out takes some wiggling, but if you pull the oil filter, there's definitely enough clearance to do it.
comptiger5000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-17-2013, 10:36 AM   #6179
Maine1994ZJ
1993 ZJ 

[QUOTE=SchizophrenicMC;15137425 The amount of **** I had to cut to get the V8 out of the donor is ridiculous.
[/QUOTE]

You shouldn't have to cut anything in the process of removing parts from a donor Jeep(or any car, for that matter)...
The thought of it makes me cringe...... Especially if said donor is in a pick-n-pull.

All it takes is a little patience and a few extra minutes to do things the right way.
Unread 03-17-2013, 10:50 AM   #6180
nickpequignot
1996 ZJ 

He is so contradicting on him self when he posts.....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.