you know you drive a ZJ when... - Page 410 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > you know you drive a ZJ when...

** FALL SALE on all Jeep Optic Armor Windshields **Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 03-14-2013, 10:52 PM   #6136
xrunndonex
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnuccio View Post
some day i want to put a 5.9 in a comanche and build the hell out of the motor and have a scary fast 2wd street/strip truck
Have it be a sleeper to haha

xrunndonex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-14-2013, 10:59 PM   #6137
dnuccio
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrunndonex View Post
Have it be a sleeper to haha
thats the plan
Unread 03-14-2013, 11:09 PM   #6138
S8NNG8
1995 XJ Cherokee 

A Comanche would be crazy with that much power. I bought my first wife an '87 2wd sport w/2.5 4cyl and that truck is so light I could roast the tires and drift corners.
Unread 03-14-2013, 11:47 PM   #6139
SchizophrenicMC
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickpequignot View Post
How does it reduce your options? Exact same block as a 5.2 only difference is that the 5.9 is externally balanced vs the 5.2 internal balance. Other than that its the same thing. How would the limit your options? I'd say it opens up a whole new can of worms and get have quite a bit of power with not a ton of work, and NA vs what you will get out of a boosted 4.0 which probably won't be much more than a stock 5.9. Yeah a boosted 4.0 would be sweet. But it's just not my motor of choice if I want any power.
First off, let it be known that the 5.2 is way too big for the ZJ as it is. The amount of **** I had to cut to get the V8 out of the donor is ridiculous. This lack of space means there's nowhere to practically put a supercharger, or really much of anything into that engine bay. Your only options are to go NA. Maybe you could get a remote turbo in there. The stock niner makes 245hp from the factory, on 93 octane. You can push this to 300 with some effort. The 4.0 makes 185hp on 87 octane, but I figure with some doing, I could get it to 300 on 93, just the same, but with some creativity instead of an additional 2 liters of displacement.

With the 4.0, you can stroke, port, super, or turbo, and still have room in the bay. That leftover space means a damn lot when you're actually working on stuff. Plus you can't have a sleeper with a 5.9, especially if you run forced induction on it. You'd have to cut the hood open for the blower. Subtlety is important to me as well.

The 4.0 leaves you more options as a Jeeper, and has pretty much the same level of options for actually building the motor than the V8s available, meaning you do have more options for it.

All I wanna know now is how am I gonna make a 42RE hold the kind of power I want?

Because tacky green leather is SUPER COOL
SchizophrenicMC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-15-2013, 12:34 AM   #6140
comptiger5000
1998 ZJ 

Fitting a blower on a 5.2/5.9 is certainly doable, it's been done quite a few times before (centrifugal blower, or the Kenne Bell roots blower sitting next to the engine and ducted, although that one required cutting the cowl for clearance). The 4.0 does have tons more room in the engine bay though, working on certain things on the 5.9 is a royal PITA, and certain mods require getting creative with placement of stuff.

The 4.0 is a bit more expensive to build for higher power though, and the parts options are more limited. It can certainly be done though.

For the trans, talk to Martin Saine. He's the guru of the 40 series torqueflites.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scopez View Post
I love that. I was in my ram 1500 5.9L (sitting on 35s) and this dodge neon srt4 decided to test me...we were at the red light side by side. I violently did alittle power braking, just enough to hold the tires from spinning. Light turned green, bye bye 4cylinder. I was doing every bit of 85mph in a 45mph zone...true duals were screaming, redlined in first and second.
I'm guessing the guy couldn't drive for ****, as an SRT4 should definitely be faster than that truck.
comptiger5000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-15-2013, 05:43 AM   #6141
McCloudsZJ
Because RaceJeep

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizophrenicMC

First off, let it be known that the 5.2 is way too big for the ZJ as it is. The amount of **** I had to cut to get the V8 out of the donor is ridiculous. This lack of space means there's nowhere to practically put a supercharger, or really much of anything into that engine bay. Your only options are to go NA. Maybe you could get a remote turbo in there. The stock niner makes 245hp from the factory, on 93 octane. You can push this to 300 with some effort. The 4.0 makes 185hp on 87 octane, but I figure with some doing, I could get it to 300 on 93, just the same, but with some creativity instead of an additional 2 liters of displacement.

With the 4.0, you can stroke, port, super, or turbo, and still have room in the bay. That leftover space means a damn lot when you're actually working on stuff. Plus you can't have a sleeper with a 5.9, especially if you run forced induction on it. You'd have to cut the hood open for the blower. Subtlety is important to me as well.

The 4.0 leaves you more options as a Jeeper, and has pretty much the same level of options for actually building the motor than the V8s available, meaning you do have more options for it.

All I wanna know now is how am I gonna make a 42RE hold the kind of power I want?
I can think if at least 15 guys off hand with supercharged 5.9s. A lot of them have kept stock hoods. There's at least one twin turbo in the works. You just have to get creative.

If you took that creativity you want to use on the 4.0 and applied it to a V8, you'd get some pretty impressive results. No replacement for displacement haha.

And Martin will get you anything you need as far as transmissions go.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using JeepForum
On the Jeep:Hot intake, 52mm TB, Summit 8mm wires, catch can, 703s, insulated fuel rails, indexed Champions, Bilstein 4600s, Eibach lowering springs, Moog SS, Ironman mounts, Lotek 2GP, lots of gauges, sparkly paint.
In the garage: M1 4bbl
In the works: Addco/Hellwig sway bars, nitrous, full polly bushings, full exhaust, data logging, billet UD pulleys
McCloudsZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-15-2013, 05:47 AM   #6142
nickpequignot
1996 ZJ 

I was gonna say go tell the guys on the speed freaks they can't supercharge a 5.2 or 5.9. Battery has to be relocated to the back which is better for weight distribution anyways. And the fuse box under the hood is rotated so its parallel with the fender. And then your golden on space for a blower
Unread 03-15-2013, 06:16 AM   #6143
Concolour
1994 ZJ 

Gguuuuuuuuyyyyyyssssss stop giving me ideas on how to spend my money lol!!!

You know you drive one when...
Concolour is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-15-2013, 06:45 AM   #6144
noodles5124

Quote:
Originally Posted by Concolour
Gguuuuuuuuyyyyyyssssss stop giving me ideas on how to spend my money lol!!!

You know you drive one when...
Ot: when reading this thread makes you spend more money than you have lol
noodles5124 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-15-2013, 06:59 AM   #6145
comptiger5000
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickpequignot View Post
I was gonna say go tell the guys on the speed freaks they can't supercharge a 5.2 or 5.9. Battery has to be relocated to the back which is better for weight distribution anyways. And the fuse box under the hood is rotated so its parallel with the fender. And then your golden on space for a blower
I'm pretty sure a couple people have been able to keep the battery up front by moving the PDC and spinning the battery sideways.
Unread 03-15-2013, 07:23 AM   #6146
Scopez
1994 ZJ 

If you had to cut **** to pull a V8 out of a ZJ, you're doing something wrong. I just pulled my 5.2L without any problems.

There's no way in hell a SRT4 is faster than my truck that's built. 4.88 gears, Plenum has been fixed, intake has the kegger mod, A/C delete to free up a few horses, hi-flow exhaust, performance PCM.

I've beat plenty of cars in my truck and ZJs. Mustangs V8s and V6s, Firebirds V8s and V6s, a couple beamers, among a few other cars.

I live, eat, and sleep magnum motors. I know just about everything about them and how to build them, internally and externally.
Unread 03-15-2013, 07:34 AM   #6147
Concolour
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scopez
If you had to cut **** to pull a V8 out of a ZJ, you're doing something wrong. I just pulled my 5.2L without any problems.

There's no way in hell a SRT4 is faster than my truck that's built. 4.88 gears, Plenum has been fixed, intake has the kegger mod, A/C delete to free up a few horses, hi-flow exhaust, performance PCM.

I've beat plenty of cars in my truck and ZJs. Mustangs V8s and V6s, Firebirds V8s and V6s, a couple beamers, among a few other cars.

I live, eat, and sleep magnum motors. I know just about everything about them and how to build them, internally and externally.
Well you didn't say your truck wasn't stock now did you
Concolour is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-15-2013, 07:53 AM   #6148
comptiger5000
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scopez View Post

Didn't know it had anything else done to it. SRT4 was definitely stock though, considering I'd guess that truck ran mid 14s at best? An SRT4 will run a 13.9 stock with a good driver and good tires. Keep in mind, my ZJ, which is definitely lighter than a RAM 1500, won't run better than high 14s with 3.73s, 29.5" tires, upgraded heads, mild cam, tune, exhaust redone from the manifolds back.
Unread 03-15-2013, 08:56 AM   #6149
JohnCrabtree
1994 ZJ 

image-3457527104.jpg

Says it all
JohnCrabtree is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-15-2013, 09:46 AM   #6150
Scopez
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by comptiger5000 View Post

Didn't know it had anything else done to it. SRT4 was definitely stock though, considering I'd guess that truck ran mid 14s at best? An SRT4 will run a 13.9 stock with a good driver and good tires. Keep in mind, my ZJ, which is definitely lighter than a RAM 1500, won't run better than high 14s with 3.73s, 29.5" tires, upgraded heads, mild cam, tune, exhaust redone from the manifolds back.
I'd guess my truck would run around low 14s or high 13s.

SRT4 had alittle bumble bee exhaust and who knows what else. He kept up with me off the line, but once I got to second gear, he was looking at my tail lights. Also, I have procomp mud terrains with American Racing wheels.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.