you know you drive a ZJ when... - Page 402 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > you know you drive a ZJ when...

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineYear End Clearance Sale! Save 20%Warn, Smitybilt, Engo, Rugged Ridge Winches at CCOR

Unread 03-09-2013, 12:18 AM   #6016
SchizophrenicMC
1997 ZJ 

I did 105-ish in the ZJ once when it had death wobble, bad tires, old springs, and a blown muffler. Man that was scary. Didn't take too much to get it there, though, what with the blown muffler. It was just loud was all.

For oil, I use 5 quarts of 10W40 conventional, 1 quart of ATF+4 (synthetic 10W40 + detergents) and Wix filters. Works great, runs smooth and quiet. I change my oil fairly frequently, too. Probably around every 2500-3000 miles. I don't mind the expense that often if it keeps the engine happy. I just wish it'd keep the electronics happy.

Because tacky green leather is SUPER COOL
SchizophrenicMC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-09-2013, 02:08 AM   #6017
txbass06
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrunndonex View Post

Same color as mine
Which one lol
txbass06 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-09-2013, 02:13 AM   #6018
xrunndonex
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by txbass06 View Post

Which one lol
Green lol
xrunndonex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-09-2013, 09:41 AM   #6019
comptiger5000
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizophrenicMC View Post
For oil, I use 5 quarts of 10W40 conventional, 1 quart of ATF+4 (synthetic 10W40 + detergents) and Wix filters. Works great, runs smooth and quiet. I change my oil fairly frequently, too. Probably around every 2500-3000 miles. I don't mind the expense that often if it keeps the engine happy. I just wish it'd keep the electronics happy.
I wouldn't run ATF in the engine full time. The whole detergents thing is a myth from the 50s and 60s when engine oil had a lot less detergents than it does now and ATF had a lot more than it does now. Also, ATF's additive package isn't quite designed to handle combustion byproducts, although with changes that frequent, it's probably not an issue. In addition, ATF+4 is around a 5W-30 or a little lighter in viscosity.

Personally, I've been running Rotella T6 5W-40 and changing every 6k (did an analysis a while ago to confirm that I was good at that mileage, and I'll probably do another this summer). I've been doing the same, but changing at 5k in my mom's 4.0 WJ (hers sees more short trips than mine).
comptiger5000 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-09-2013, 11:56 AM   #6020
nickpequignot
1996 ZJ 

When you are looking at a nice orvis. And you catch the guy driving it looking at yours and you just give each other a thumbs up.
Unread 03-09-2013, 12:38 PM   #6021
SchizophrenicMC
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by comptiger5000 View Post
I wouldn't run ATF in the engine full time. The whole detergents thing is a myth from the 50s and 60s when engine oil had a lot less detergents than it does now and ATF had a lot more than it does now. Also, ATF's additive package isn't quite designed to handle combustion byproducts, although with changes that frequent, it's probably not an issue. In addition, ATF+4 is around a 5W-30 or a little lighter in viscosity.

Personally, I've been running Rotella T6 5W-40 and changing every 6k (did an analysis a while ago to confirm that I was good at that mileage, and I'll probably do another this summer). I've been doing the same, but changing at 5k in my mom's 4.0 WJ (hers sees more short trips than mine).
Well I haven't noticed any problems, and it only tacks $2 to the cost of my oil changes. What with the high temperatures here, I've noticed 10-40 runs better in high mileage engines than 5-30 and you can't get conventional 5-40, at least not here. Synthetic has different fluid properties than conventional, which has caused me to have blowby problems in the past, so I don't use it unless it's specifically called for, or the engine is low mileage. My first oil change was 10-30 in the Jeep, but it definitely runs better on 10-40.

With that said, I haven't looked up ATF+4's viscosity but I know it mixes with conventional. As well, I think Dexron is 10-30 or so, and I used to use that in oil changes before I got the Jeep. When I got the Jeep, I just changed to ATF+4 to keep it around in case the tranny needed some.

I don't know what my plans for this six are, though. I've decided I'm gonna keep it, but the question is, do I stroke it or run forced induction? And if I go with a blower, do I go turbo or super?

The questions that keep a straight six guy up at night.

Because tacky green leather is SUPER COOL
SchizophrenicMC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-09-2013, 03:44 PM   #6022
comptiger5000
1998 ZJ 

If you boost it, I'd go turbo, personally.
comptiger5000 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-09-2013, 03:54 PM   #6023
sevenscrew
1997 ZJ 

when you spend 2 hours washing the outside/undercarriage, then spend 40 minutes more soaping it and rinsing it, and drying it. Lol then you end up doing the interior right into dark, or start it the next day.

in the works: lp30 + 8.8 build to 4.88s + wj swap
sevenscrew is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-09-2013, 04:01 PM   #6024
xcaliber81
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevenscrew View Post
when you spend 2 hours washing the outside/undercarriage, then spend 40 minutes more soaping it and rinsing it, and drying it. Lol then you end up doing the interior right into dark, or start it the next day.
Ouch I'm a pro detailer and can do a really good job in half that time lol.
xcaliber81 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-09-2013, 04:51 PM   #6025
sevenscrew
1997 ZJ 

Come do my jeep! Lmao I could do it quicker but i get carried away and start cleaning different compartments

in the works: lp30 + 8.8 build to 4.88s + wj swap
sevenscrew is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-09-2013, 05:12 PM   #6026
Scopez
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevenscrew View Post
Come do my jeep! Lmao I could do it quicker but i get carried away and start cleaning different compartments
Haha, that always happens with me too. "Okay, today I'll clean my rear diff cover and paint it." While I do that...I end up cleaning my DS and the axle tubes...
Unread 03-09-2013, 06:31 PM   #6027
4LBlackMamba
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine1994ZJ View Post
... when you see guys talking about how fast their rigs go on the street and you think to yourself "I don't care how fast mine goes. I'd rather be in 4LO anyway"
x2!!
4LBlackMamba is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-09-2013, 06:36 PM   #6028
4LBlackMamba
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickpequignot View Post
I did 100 in my zj once. That scared the **** out of me and never did it again. That was stock height too
i hit 106 on the beltway around here. felt like all of the nuts and bolts were gonna come loose from all the vibration though. but hearing the engine rush up into over drive was TOTALLY worth it. 4.0
4LBlackMamba is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-09-2013, 06:45 PM   #6029
xrunndonex
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4LBlackMamba View Post

i hit 106 on the beltway around here. felt like all of the nuts and bolts were gonna come loose from all the vibration though. but hearing the engine rush up into over drive was TOTALLY worth it. 4.0
My ****ing zj pissing me off this damn oil filter adapter bolt is err
xrunndonex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-09-2013, 06:49 PM   #6030
jtackerman28
1997 ZJ 

When you wake up with a new puddle of fluid in the driveway every 3 months

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.